All Time favorite NES game?

Started by Doc, July 29, 2006, 11:29:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc

Quote from: Toneman on August 15, 2006, 03:06:00 pm
I'll get back to you in.....20 years.

Lol, it can't take THAT long!

TheSSNintendo

I forgot to mention the awesomeness of Contra. Me and my brother always played it, and pretty much rocked the house when we heard about the Konami code. Then he let our cousin borrow it, and some numbnut broke into their house and stole. We ordered another copy, but instead somehow managed to get Contra Force.

Doc

TheSSNintendo

Sorry, it's my brother's game. We probably got it back sometime in the early 90's at least.. And that's the fun of rare games: saying "Ha Ha, I have it; you don't."

JC

If there's ever a game sequel that sucks ass, it's Contra Force. I can't stand that game. But the other two are wonderful, with the SuperC building on Contra quite nicely. I actually prefer SuperC because of the variation in direction of gameplay. But hell, I haven't gotten far in either and always forget about the Konami code.

Doc

I have always preferred Super C over Contra...I'm guessing it's just that it's so much harder than Contra.

TheSSNintendo

Probably because it was so different from the others. It ain't Contra unless you're blasting the hell out of alien scum.

JC

I became frustrated with the slow pace of the game. :(

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: TheSSNintendo on August 21, 2006, 06:13:33 pm
Probably because it was so different from the others. It ain't Contra unless you're blasting the hell out of alien scum.

That's exactly what I'm saying, because it bore the name "Contra" everyone expected something different.  If it had a different name, it wouldn't have been bashed as it's being right now.

What other NES game has the AI options that this one does?  It's kick ass being able to make a computer run into the middle of fire to save your ass.  Sure, they always get killed, but it doesn't matter. :P

Doc

Lol, I don't like Contra Force. Heck, even WITH a different name I would'nt like it. And I think the whole Ninja Gaiden series is overrated as a whole, but I think I am alone on this...

JC

You're not entirely alone on that. I love the way the ninja dude jumps off walls and whatever, but I can't stand the graphics. The backgrounds aren't very neat -- sensory overload. The gameplay is ok.

Doc

The gameplay is what kills me, but I do love the wall jumping thing. That's really cool, and a pain in the ass sometimes, but cool nontheless.

Jedi Master Baiter

The first Ninja Gaiden is my favorite of the three, but has the worst of the graphics.  I know what you mean, sloppy patterns.  Although it was fixed in the second one, it just seemed the storyline got worse, and worse.

The gameplay is all pattern-based.  If you memorize the enemy positions, you can pretty much beat all the levels without getting hit.  It's weird.

It's the cinematic features that really stick out in them all, but the first one's the best in that.

Doc

Hahaha, many games in Japan had cinema scenes that were cut from the English releases...imagine, Karnov HAD A PURPOSE!

Doc

Besides Karnov? A website had a huge list, I need to find it now.