Power Adaptors / Famicom Power Supply

Started by JC, August 20, 2006, 10:29:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NintendoKing

I used my old original Famicom AC adapter on my AV Famicom, but you could use a Sega Genesis adapter if you wanted.

tankexmortis

So I got a Genesis model 1 power adapter 'cause I read here it'd work on a Famicom, but I discovered that the polarity for the adapter and my Sharp Twin is different. Does the Twin have different polarity than the regular Famicom or something? What should I do now? I don't want to have to use the super expensive stuff from Radio Shack.

ericj

Yes, the Twin's polarity is different. Just cut & switch the wires on your Genesis adapter & you should be good to go.

tankexmortis

133MHz

Something I figured out today and might be useful, the DC plug used in the Famicom is a 2.1 mm Barrel type connector.

Mysteryman

January 26, 2011, 09:12:02 am #305 Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:24:17 am by Mysteryman
Well first of all iam new here and want to say HI to all of you Retrofreaks !  :D

Tommorow iam getting a second handed Famicom system , but without a Power adapter :/

After reading and searching true alot of forums & topic's etc , i still have 1 question.

What if i use an European NES Adapter and plug it into a stepdown converter is it possible for a stepdown converter to also output DC?

BTW iam from Europe , The Netherlands and we use 220V.

Mabey there are some other Dutch people here who can help me buy a adapter that works like from a laptop or any otherkind.

Best Regards

Myst.

jpx72

European NES adapter outputs AC, and you need DC for the Famicom. (I got mine from Germany, it's AC/AC, believe me).
Stepdown converter is used for  (for example)  220V adapter to run in an 110V outlet. The output is always from the adapter so there's no change to that. Buy an AC/DC adapter (Converts AC to DC) with the needed specifications and do not use NES adapter. 

Xious

In other words, if you try to use a European (or any other) NES power supply on a Famicom, you can expect it to instantly destroy it, or at least damage it in a way that prevent it from functioning until repaired. I can't stress enough: Never attempt to use a NES power adapter on a Famicom, or any other system.

You can buy a 200VAC->10VDC adapter easily enough, and your Famicom will thank you. :)

tappybot

I'm going to have to keep this in mind.

So are the lower voltage AC Adapters that will work on Famicom readily available in the US?

I'm wondering if I should buy a couple extra in my last months here before coming back to the states... Keep stocked up just in case.

Mysteryman

January 27, 2011, 01:11:59 am #309 Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:49:08 am by Mysteryman
I Just got my Famicom !!!

And i found 2 Adapters. (Found it in the house , the console itself did not came with any power adapter!)

Is this a good one to use ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Or should i use this one ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And how should i set the buttons/switches.

Thanks !

jpx72

Hmm the second one ("HQ") looks better although both look a little cheap :) and probably won't be ideal but would do ok.
So if you use the second one, set it to 9V and the polarity should be set like it is pictured on the lower picture - there is a plug on the cable that can be switched/turned, minus must be inside! (the small arrows must face each other)... post a pic of it if you like to check it's all right.

Mysteryman

Thanks for the info.

I will post a pic in a few minutes.

But what should i get then ? instead of these cheap things something like a universal laptop adapter???  i really have no idea....

And also i cannot set the Polarity on the HQ one because i thought it was a switch but actually its just a LED :/

Thanks.

jpx72

Mysteryman

January 27, 2011, 02:19:35 am #313 Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 02:44:20 am by Mysteryman
Yes i have read the topic you just stated.

Thanks anyway.  ;)

jpx72

Remember this: Big and heavy (and expensive) is better than small and lightweight (and cheap). Or search for something from a well known manufacturer.