Power Pad & Family Trainer

Started by hiroshi, February 12, 2010, 02:53:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hiroshi

Does anyone know if the American Power Pad is compatible with the Japanese Family Trainer games? i.e. if you used an adapter on your US NES to play the Famicom games. Or is there a way to hack the US Power Pad to work on the Famicom?

I'm wanting to try some of the Japan exclusive games without shelling out ridiculous cash for the pad itself.

ericj

It should work okay. Well, as "okay" as the PowerPad works anyways.  :P

Jumping on a mat in a room using a cart-based system seems like a good idea gone bad, considering how just a bump can freeze the game or scramble the graphics.  :-\

hiroshi

I'm not so sure that it "should" work, as the Family Trainer mat connects via the expansion port. I'm wondering if something like this would work: http://www.nesdev.com/zapper_to_famicom.txt

Maybe someone with a PowerPak could test the Japanese versions of one of the Family Trainer games with their Power Pad. :)

ericj

I have both the Family Trainer & Power Pad: the Famicom games work fine on the NES with the PowerPad and the NES games (with converter) work fine on the Famicom with the Family Trainer. I only say "should" because I don't have all the Family Trainer games, only 5 of them.

hiroshi

Oh, ok :) I was thinking you were only speculating at first ;)

Thanks for the information!