Super Mario Kart Prototpye. Should I buy?

Started by nensondubois, May 27, 2010, 07:59:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bramsworth

Depends on the person and what they like :p Personally I just can't justify it if the seller can't even prove it's worth that price. Just having the title "prototype" isn't enough. Knowing full well it's a gamble that could result in you having paid $1600 for a so-called prototype board that's just the final game ROM on there, it isn't worth it for me. But I'm one of those people that would something for what's on the board, not the rarity of the board itself. Some people see it otherwise, but no doubt they'd irk inside if they still realized it's just the final game.

I wonder what that Zelda one is however. We've already seen one mario kart proto documented a bit as mentioned, I'd like to see something else :)

nensondubois

Yep, so I can have people donate a total of 2,000 for it. It worked with the Earthworm Jim 2 proto, so why not? I'm not actually getting it since I let someone hold onto my $3,000. ::)

Bramsworth

What Earthworm Jim 2 proto? As far as I know there was a Genesis one that people were donating for that I guess is still open for donations and hasn't met its goal yet. It's already been a year since then I think too. Not enough people care, and considering the risk of having wasted your money I can't blame them :)

nintendodork

You know, I haven't paid enough attention on NintendoAge or anywhere else to fully understand the whole proto dumping thing.  So basically, this guy has a bunch of protos that he's hoarding, and won't dump them until the community fesses up?  Or does he has a source he gets them from, and buys them only for the community, which is why the community as a whole has to pay?
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Bramsworth

Basically he's got lots of prototypes that he's collected over the years. Lots and lots of titles, and surprisingly he appears to not even be familiar at all with many of them. Meaning if he played them he wouldn't even notice a different from the final game since he's never even played it. Not sure why someone would spend years collecting stuff they never even touch, let alone spend the money on it if you don't care to play it ever :X

He seems to randomly sell the proto boards, but he also is open to having people pay specifically for a dump of a lot of his cartridges, which involves him giving them a sum to collect(a price that's cheaper than if you buy the cartridge itself), he sends it to the main person that collects all the funds and then that person dumps it, then the cart is sent back.

Right now that's what's going on at hidden-palace.org, there's a topic for an Earthworm Jim 2 for Genesis and Mystical Ninja for n64. They'll never meet their goals though, they've both been up over a year.

nintendodork

Quote from: Bramsworth on June 03, 2010, 04:56:33 am
Not sure why someone would spend years collecting stuff they never even touch, let alone spend the money on it if you don't care to play it ever :X
Not to mention if he buys them from places that know the games are protos, they're going to charge quite a bit of money.  Hmm...I guess I don't see the glory in any of that.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Jedi Master Baiter

I have a good story for that Lobo game:

It involves my former teacher, a programmer who worked on the game, who finished it, & then went on vacation sending a message to a coworker to forward about the game being completed.

The message never got passed. :P

Edit: Wait, that's the Genesis version? I thought that was already released? ???

I'm talking about the SNES one.