April 19, 2024, 02:23:08 pm

Finds (NES)

Started by JC, August 26, 2006, 12:13:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghegs

Quote from: P on December 06, 2022, 04:19:26 pmNice find! I think this is also one of few RPGs we got in Scandinavia (and Europe in general) for NES. At least I remember reading about this game in some Swedish magazine or something, complete with a short explanation of what the RPG genre is about since most readers wasn't familiar with it.

Yeah, the manual is pretty thick with explanations on what an RPG is, how to play them, what the stats mean, etc. The game came out in 1990 (in US, '93 in Europe) and Dragon Warrior had come out only the year before and Final Fantasy that same year, so the genre was still pretty unknown in the west at the time.

Jedi Master Baiter

Cool! I only know about this game from seeing it in a Double Dragon III insert. I didn't know it was four players. As for Dungeon crawlers, I've been meaning to play DDS Megami Tensei, but I never seem to get around to it. :-\

Ghegs

Quote from: Jedi Master Baiter on December 07, 2022, 12:15:01 amI didn't know it was four players.

Might be the only one of its kind. I don't know if it would particularly enjoyable to play like that, though. Player one still controls the movement in the labyrinth, everybody else just has control over their own character in combat. They're also completely in charge of their own equipment, so if, for example, player 3 acquires a cool new sword, and player 4 wants it, player 3 has to go through the menus to do the exchange, nobody else can do it.

P

Well I guess that mimics a real TRPG, if someone gets an item he is basically free to choose if he wants to share it with the others or not.

Ah Megaten, that's another series on my endless list of games I need to get through, yet I play games like SMB that I've already played millions of times (well to be fair I'm actually unlocking stuff in SMB2 and ANNSMB which is another thing on the list).

As for a multiplayer DRPG, Double Dungeons for PC-Engine comes to mind. It got simultaneous 2-player with a split screen. You can compete, collaborate or kill each others if you want. It's a more simple and fast-paced dungeon crawler though. Swords & Serpents seems like a more sophisticated digital adaption of a TRPG experience.