April 29, 2024, 03:27:35 am

Sonic 4

Started by petik1, September 30, 2010, 07:20:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

linkzpikachu

Quote from: jpx72 on October 01, 2010, 11:53:03 pm
Yeah I've read about the MJ music in Sonic games too, and I think it's a proven fact. But I don't think that's a bad thing, Sonic and MJ are both some of the greatest names of the last millenium.

they both have genesis/mega drive games about them
FUCK YEAH SEAKING!

petik1

Quote from: nintendodork on September 30, 2010, 07:23:27 pm
Finally.  I hope they made the delay worth it.

I think the delay was a ploy to get us to think "Wow, they're delaying the release just to get it right. It's gonna be good this time!" I think the episodic thing will be good for it, so sega can take it slow and steady. If they don't mess this up, I think they deserve an award!

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: jpx72 on October 01, 2010, 11:53:03 pm
Yeah I've read about the MJ music in Sonic games too, and I think it's a proven fact. But I don't think that's a bad thing, Sonic and MJ are both some of the greatest names of the last millenium.

I couldn't believe how some people were just finding this out this year.

It was proven back when I used to go to VGMusic, & that had to be 5 years ago. :o  And it didn't specifically prove Michael Jackson himself was involved, but several people in his music department (Brad Buxer comes to mind).  They're in the credits.

I don't think many people saw that thread. :-\

petik1

Well, I've played the game and...

It's pretty good! Splash hill zone is amazing, sonic is as fast as ever, no deep plot, and the targeting thing-a-ma-bob works very well with the gameplay. My only complaints are specifially to the iphone version, which is the digital D pad. Better than the sonic 1 and 2 ports, but I can still easily mistakenly (Is that a word?) press right when I want to go down. Buying for Wii when its released. Sonic is back!!!

jpx72

Finally, today I'm going to download this title to my Wii.
I was very dissapointed to find out that for the European region it's release was set to 15th october - http://www.sonicthehedgehog4.co.uk/en/. My browser always pointed me to the US site with the 11.10.2010 .

FamicomFreak

I'm not impressed, the game feels empty in my opinion. That's just me though....usual problems with the d pad on itouch but I did liked the jump attack that targets multiple enemies.
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

Cam3ron@FW

I heard it's a letdown which would not surprise me.  Only good sonic game in the last decade was a racing game.
Consoles I own (by Generation):

1st: N/A 2nd: Colecovision 3rd: Game Boy Pocket 4th: Game Boy Color, SNES 5th: N64, N64DD, PS1 Sega Saturn  6th: Xbox, 2 Gamecubes, Dreamcast, PSP, DS 7th: Wii, Xbox 360, Ps3

Jedi Master Baiter

Any more serious firsthand experience?  I'm half & half on buying this when I get home. :-\

PatMan33

I'm coming down on the negative side for this game. I have the Wii version The design decisions surrounding the game's controls simply baffle me. There is no reason why Sonic should drop out of the air like a stone as soon as I let go of a directional button. It makes platforming all but impossible to accomplish without serious consideration for each jump... which tends to be problematic when the level design is demanding that Sonic move from platform to platform quickly. I just don't understand why they couldn't have used the same sort of of mechanics that Sonic 1, 2, 3, and S&K used. Heck, Super Mario Bros. got this right in 1985, guys.

Another issue I had was that (and make sure you're sitting down for this) making Sonic curl up into a ball actually SLOWS YOU DOWN. Even when you're going down a hill... yeah. The sense of speed is very limited and leaves much to be desired.

Level design is okay. Overall the game comes off as very mundane, which is a shame and not enough for this series.

DO NOT BUY.

petik1

Quote from: PatMan33 on October 16, 2010, 12:07:14 am
I'm coming down on the negative side for this game. I have the Wii version The design decisions surrounding the game's controls simply baffle me. There is no reason why Sonic should drop out of the air like a stone as soon as I let go of a directional button. It makes platforming all but impossible to accomplish without serious consideration for each jump... which tends to be problematic when the level design is demanding that Sonic move from platform to platform quickly. I just don't understand why they couldn't have used the same sort of of mechanics that Sonic 1, 2, 3, and S&K used. Heck, Super Mario Bros. got this right in 1985, guys.

Another issue I had was that (and make sure you're sitting down for this) making Sonic curl up into a ball actually SLOWS YOU DOWN. Even when you're going down a hill... yeah. The sense of speed is very limited and leaves much to be desired.

Level design is okay. Overall the game comes off as very mundane, which is a shame and not enough for this series.

DO NOT BUY.

*Whimpers*

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on October 15, 2010, 10:44:08 pm
Any more serious firsthand experience?  I'm half & half on buying this when I get home. :-\

You want serious? You got it! I'll write a full review just like IGN would. No, they probably tore the flesh off of this game.

Sonic 4, just like many other Sonic games in the past decade, have been claimed to be the reboot of the series, the one to salvage SEGA's reputation. Starting the game gives you the feeling of a good old school sonic game, with some new bells and whistles. Music is made to sound like the ones in the original four, level design is pretty good, with a few exceptions, and the new targeting system works well with the old sonic game formula.

Yes, turning into a ball slows you down, but its not like it happens immdeiately, and using the spindash will still take you pretty far; it'll get you to where you need to go. Controls are tight, even on the iPhone version. I'm nearly done with the game, besides for the last act. The game is very fast paced, having you run around in the usual circles, doing a combo with the target system in the sky on enemies layed out for that purpose, and simply the level design which allows you to go fast. Now, there are some parts I loathe. For examply (I guess spoilers, but you'll need help here) In Mad Gear Zone, there's a part where you have to spin on a cog, run down a hallway, run back on the upper part of the hallway, and make it through a closing door/wall thing. It gets annoying and takes a lot of tries.

Another example is again in Mad Gear Zone. Right before the end of one act, you have a piston thing going up, and like ten going down. There is no room left for you to stand and spindash in safety, so you have to push against the first cog when it's down, then when it goes up, walk onto where it was and spindash for you life. These are just two bad places out  of an entire game's full of good design.

All in all, it IS the true successor to the orginal sonic series. Yes, there's only 4 acts, but remember it's episode 1. I would love to slap the next reviewer who complains about lwngth.I would reccomend buying it. Hell, it's $15. So, try it, I think you'll like it if your not gonna be expecting a game created by God. Then again, I am more tolerant of less succesful games than others...

PatMan33

I'd be more tolerant if this wasn't yet another example of Sonic Team thinking too hard about a project that is really very simple. They didn't have to reinvent the wheel with this one. God knows they did very little reinvention with the first three Sonic games outside of better level design. All they had to do was port over the physics engine, pump up the graphics a little, and continue to make awesome levels. (all easier said than done, yes. but we're talking from a relative standpoint)

After they regain our trust with a good, old-fashioned Sonic the Hedgehog game, then maybe they can start trying to reinvent the wheel.

petik1

Ok well relatively, its good. Beggars cant be choosers ya know? ::)

PatMan33

WE MOST CERTAINLY CAN! :D

MarioMania

I played the Demo on the PS3..wasn't to thrilled at it

jpx72

October 17, 2010, 11:11:35 pm #29 Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:25:41 am by jpx72
Sonic 4 on Wii - personal experience: not good. Bad physics, slowdown rolling, and choosing levels just after playing through the first stage makes me feel like playing hacked version of the game already. And I don't like the intro music at all. But after all, it could have been worse.
By the way, the Sonic Fan remix demo will be released soon (hopefully).

EDIT: actually, played today for two hours... it's not THAT bad, the homing trick could have been removed though. And the delay before you can attack the boss is also annoying.