April 29, 2024, 02:25:58 am

Sonic 4

Started by petik1, September 30, 2010, 07:20:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

L___E___T

I like the homing, make the gameplay more frenetic.

But yes, physics suck, speed is pants, spinning poor  -  visuals unimpressive and stages uninventive.  I'd play Sonic & Knuckles any day over this.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

petik1

What ever. I can totally see this being reviewed in 10 years as the underrated sequel to the near perfect original sonic series. Now, how would you guys rate this, on a scale from Sonic '06 to Sonic 2?  ;D

jpx72

October 19, 2010, 10:39:42 pm #32 Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:47:22 pm by jpx72
What is so amazing on Sonic 2? I personally like the new Sonic 4 better than this one. My scale is:
1. Sonic and Knuckles
2. Sonic 1
3. Sonic 3
4. Sonic 4 Wii
5. Sonic 2
I think Sonic 2 was only amazing for people living/playing in the era the game came out, because it had gameplay improvements over the original Sonic 1(spin dash and super sonic). But when I was playing Sonic 1 for the first time, S&K was already out.

I've never played the '06 game or Unleashed, the Secret rings Wii had annoying level select and the controls were a bit odd, Sonic riders was ok but far away from "Sonic game". But I liked Sonic Heroes a lot (when the game was still "fresh") and I'm looking forward to the Colors!

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: jpx72 on October 19, 2010, 10:39:42 pm
What is so amazing on Sonic 2? I personally like the new Sonic 4 better than this one. My scale is:
1. Sonic and Knuckles
2. Sonic 1
3. Sonic 3
4. Sonic 4 Wii
5. Sonic 2

What is so unamazing about Sonic 2? :P

Seriously, the bottom of the totem? :o The game introduced charging spin dashes, 2-player mode, & co-op (not to mention Tails - how can anybody not like him? ;D).

Why is Sonic 3 so high? If it weren't for the saving, I'd rate it the lowest: Sonic starts sucking in this one, lackluster multiplayer, & I the levels weren't so interesting.  What else?

(Did anyone get stuck on those spinning things you're supposed to press up & down on alternatively?) :-[

And Sonic & Knuckles would've been on top if it had kept the saving feature. >:(

I haven't played Sonic 4, but my list would look just like yours except Sonic 2 would be on the opposite side. :-\

Anywho, does Sonic 4 really suck that bad? I though you were always supposed to slow down when turning into a ball?

It makes sense - you cease to run anymore.  That's why you do it downhills.  I think I'll buy it if I have time.

jpx72

October 20, 2010, 10:13:34 pm #34 Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:53:02 pm by jpx72
Sonic 2...Hehe yes, I expected that :) but as you've said "the game introduced..." and I've played S&K sooner than Sonic2 and you must admit that the spindash was working better in this one, and overall the controls were better because the so called "physics" or just "movement" of sonic was taken to perfection. And do you like the special stage in Sonic 2? I can't win more than 3 emeralds!!!
And for Sonic4... no, it's not THAT bad, but in any stage it's better for you to run instead of roll, because it's faster, you can get higher and also you are able to break breakable walls (unlike previous games, where you couldn't destroy a wall without rolling). And that's a BIG difference. It reminds me of Sonic advance for GBA, and that's a game far away from the original series.

BTW - the Sonic fan remix DEMO is OUT !!!
Alternative download page HERE

PatMan33

We all know that Sonic 2006 is the greatest game to ever come out ever.

But a close second is Sonic 3 & Knuckles. All else trembles beneath its might.

L___E___T

I would rank:

Sonic 3 & Knuckes (S&K with S3 plugged in)  - because you get extra content added to sonic 3 and extra content added to Sonic and Kunckles.  Sonic & Knuckles is my favourite in terms of design, but Sonic 2 got the gameplay balance right.  Add the combined content and this is set up is the definitive Sonic game to me.  Hyper Sonic and Hyper Knucles are too good.

Sonic 2

Sonic 3

Sonic 1 - I played through Sonic 1 the other day.  It's better than I remembered, but the marble zone and junk yard zones are too slow, scrap brain is too difficult and labyrinth is too frustrating (deliberately placed traps abound, lack of air bubbles).  Final zone is ace and Green Hill is IMO the best sonic stage out of all the games ever, period.

Sonic 4 - for reasons stated above that I've seen pointed out in most reviews as well.

Sonic CD - ovverrated IMO, rather fugly too

Sonic Adventures - worth playing, but not keeping

all other BS Sonic iterations follow here.

BUUUUT.... Hang on for Sonic Colors over Sonic 4 - it's getting good reviews and is supposed to be a return to glory days.  I knpow that's said every time, but I keep hope here.

Now to check out the remix, thanks!
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

PatMan33

Oh! Totally agree with you on Sonic CD. I never understood that one.

FamicomRetroGamer

Sonic IV!

I want it so bad, but being DLC puts me off because I don't buy digital format content, only physical format.

Why? Because I like to see my things on the shelf or in boxes.

You can't sell a digital format content, but you can with a physical.

petik1

I fear that downloadable games are going to be the main way of getting games in the future. Like you said, I like to see my games. Once these companies stop their download services for their consoles, you can't get the games again legitimately.

ericj

Quote from: petik1 on October 23, 2010, 01:37:38 pm
Once these companies stop their download services for their consoles, you can't get the games again legitimately.

This would be better for companies. As it stands with used game sales now, the companies make no additional money but people still get the game. Stopping resales and being the only place to get a game would be a great way from a company's standpoint to demand higher future prices for their older games.

petik1

Yeah, but then you're basically ruining the fun of game collecting. Mark my words, if gaming goes down that route, we're all going to miss going to garage sales and flea markets to find some games or systems for cheap.

ericj

I completely agree with you. But, for the most part, music has already taken this route. It's only a matter of time for games and movies to totally become this way, too. Damn technology.  :P

petik1

But music had like 100 years or more from the phonograph cylinder to the cd to finally hop onto the download bandwagon. Gaming is only 30 years old. Anyway, people are gonna just download them illegally just like people do with disc "backups" or the homebrew channel on the wii.

son_ov_hades

If the current resurgence of vinyl records is any indication, physical games and movies might not go away completely.