Famicom Disk System (and Twin Famicom) Restoration Services + Repro FDS Disks

Started by Xious, January 26, 2011, 12:37:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FamicomFreak

Amazing! I would love to learn your ways master of disk system! ^_^
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

Xious

Aye, as would many others..  I made a promise that I intend to keep: If ever I decide to permanently cease restoring Famicom Disk Systems, or if anyone publishes material comparable to my own, I will publish the findings of my long study and my personal breakthroughs. Until that time, I consider all that I know a trade secret, and keep it that way. (l have restored hundreds of FDS drives and have the practical experience required to rebuild them from parts.) I also keep spares and reproduction parts on hand for servicing them.

Now I think I'll let my cocktail of scotch and sleeping pills wax-in and drive me off to slumber-land, placing me on a daytime schedule again after the Samhain festival 'holiday'. If anyone wants to apprentice under me, under contract, I might allow that as well, but I don't make any promises or take any oaths to that effect. :bomb:

FamicomFreak

Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

Xious

Alright! I am nearly caught-up, with only a few things left to do before I'm fully back on schedule...

Therefore, I am now again accepting restoration orders, although there is still a small delay before I will be able to start them. In theory, the time it will take in transit to post your drive in to me will be around the same time as the delay I expect, +/- 1-week, depending on the volume of requests that I receive this winter.

I already have a few requests for this service, so if you want to be early in the queue (and thus get anything back before the holiday season), please contact me soon. :bomb:

Lum

Great news. I'll probably wait to send in that adapter we talked about, once my big TV is fixed... :P

Anyway. Do you know how tight of grip the AV Famicom cart slot is supposed to have? And how much normal carts are supposed to wobble (forward/backward) when pushed? I noticed Nintendo gave the system's case a rather wide opening, perhaps to ensure oversize games would fit.
*bzzzt*

Xious

You'll need to remind me about what adapter you plan to send. ...

I think it is less tight because of the lack of an eject button. Pulling games from an original FC, the tension is very high; the New FC (A/V) may have some additional clearance to prevent damaging game PCBs/pins.  :bomb:

Lum

It's the black type needing a fix for Castlevania 3 US, Fester's Quest, and IIRC PowerPak audio.
*bzzzt*

Xious

Oh.... I rather forgot that you wanted me to do that! Certainly, I can modify it if you desire.

I think that this spring I will be making the new adapter PCBs too. I hope to find a source for shells by them, one way or another.  :redcart:

I do have to laugh about 'Fester's Quest' though; I'm shocked that it requires any fixing. Also, is there a FC version for that game, or is that NES-only?  :bomb:

Lum

There wasn't an FC version. Doesn't make sense IMO why it won't work, but other users on this board have mentioned similar issues too. Goes to show what they'll cut for saving a few cents per adapter... :bomb:

Let me know if you find the top slot grips too tight. No other models on hand to compare with.
*bzzzt*

Xious

I'm essentially caught up with everything now. (I have two orders left to go, one which should be out of my hands in a couple days and one that is partly OOS.) Therefore, anything that people would like to order or any service jobs that you want me to perform I am accepting at this time. This includes FDS restoration, and essentially everything else.

FDS service is FIFO, so if you want anything done in a hurry, or before the 'holiday season' begins, please contact me ASAP to schedule it. I will not be taking any vacations, and I will not be scheduling any breaks, however the postal services are slow around this time of year, so the sooner you get any repairs or restoration orders to me, the faster you'll have them back in your hands.

This ends my 'public service announcement' for the day. :)

As always, you can reach me quickly and directly by ringing (+1) 908 616 8747. My other line is on the blink, but I should repair it soon. :bomb:

acfrazier

Edit: I've spoken with Xious and got this resolved, he was under the assumption that I had disappeared, apparently my methods of contact weren't getting through to him.

Xious

Quite a few? What might they be, indeed? I have a single CopyNES here for you, and the last few times I tried to reach you, I received no response; merely stony silence. I have precisely zero PMs from you here, zero on NESDev, zero on a dozen other forums, and the last one on NA is from April, 2010 regarding games that you wanted to buy, but never did. I have not had any telephone calls from you as far as I am aware, and I have no idea what number you are dialing.  :question:

You may reach me at 908-616-8747, the first number listed on the website. If you are dialing my old 908-398-1802 line,please be aware that it has been discontinued for ages, as I am no longer with Sprint. Goodness only knows whom you have been contacting, and what they must think if you are leaving voice messages for me on their line.  ???

I also recall you promising to do a few things for me, which you never did--not one of them, and every time I tried to ring you and ask about what was happening, you seemingly ignored my telephone calls and my messages. Your CopyNES is still safe and sound,however I decided that if I was going to be ignored, and that if you chose to duck me because you bit off more than you could chew, then it would sit here until you made an effort to reach me.

Everything that you paid me for, you received, and then-some. I RMA'd the parts that UPS mangled under warranty, and I ate the replacement costs because of how long it took to get a claim into them.

I understand your situation; honestly, I do, but please don't try to con me about owing you lots of stuff. I have a very long memory about such things, and I do occasionally owe things to people, sometimes for a long while. Everyone eventually gets everything, and usually more besides, and the only thing I have of yours is a CopyNES, nothing else. I'm also both air and absurdly patient--more so than anyone else you're ever likely to meet.

I waited over half a year to receive a valuable trade item after I dispatched my end of the bargain, so I'd say that given how long I've waited for items of value, I'm pretty balanced in taking a long while on some things. Some of it is due to my personal problems as well, and some due to problems with employees or business partners and other hair-pulling, stress-inducing situations that--perhaps someday--you may come to understand.

I did say that I would install your CopyNES in a toaster for you, and send you the finished system, but that was in exchange for what you were supposed to do for--and with--me. As none of that ever happened, and much of it is now superfluous, I will happily mail you the CopyNES and let it go at that, unless you want to actually do any of the projects that we discussed a year-and-a-half ago.  :bomb:

P.S. I just reviewed three of my e-mail boxes. I found messages from you only in one of them (flashback) -@- (atariusa) and the last message there is from 28th July 2010, which contained the photos of the damaged UPS box. If you sent any direct e-mail or PMs to me since then, it would be very helpful to know to where you sent them and when, so that I can look for them in the correct location.

P.P.S. It took me a day to find your telephone number. I rang a few minues ago and you were unavailable. Please rind me back ASAP.

fredJ

Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com