Quick Questions about Power Adapters and Different Regions

Started by tappybot, February 10, 2011, 06:50:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tappybot

Merge this into the proper thread, if it exists. I imagine you guys could probably answer this easily.  I promise I'll do more research once I get the basic understanding of it.  :-X

I have a Famicom/Super Famicom/N64 with Japanese Power Adapters.   If I want to play any Japanese system in the US, should I use the Japanese power adapter, a Japanese power adapter in conjunction with some kind of converter, or a US Power Adapter (this is a big no no, right?)

Using US devices in Japan is alright but not vice versa, is that correct?

Teach me the ways of the electrical force.  :blinky:

UglyJoe

You can use the Japanese power adapters because the difference in voltage between US and JP outlets isn't tremendous (120v vs 100v).  However, the adapter will probably get warm/hot and the extra voltage will slowly degrade it.  You can use a step-down transformer to go from 120v to 100v, which is safer for the adapters.

tappybot

When you say degrade, is it just the power adapter at risk, or the device plugged into it as well?

UglyJoe

Just the adapter, as far as I know, but I'm no electrician.  I'm just repeating what's been said the Tech Repair thread over and over again.

manuel

I'd also recommend to use a step-down converter, just to be sure.

tappybot

Okay, that's enough for me, step down converter it is.  But it's good to know Turning on a Japanese system with a Japanese power adapter in the US won't destroy anything.

dukbrand

can I plug a us power strip into a step down converter?

Xious

The system, in theory, can be damaged as well, as the input voltage is considered part of the calculation when marking an AC adapter. The 7805 for the Famicom is forgiving, but you're running at 20% in excess of the desired input voltage, which correlates directly to the output voltage.  It all comes down to heat, which is entropy. I'm not 100% certain for the SFC and UFC (N64), but I would advise against running any of them without the step-down transformer for your local region, or with a local lower adapter. You can use a generic PSU for the FC/SFC, but not the local ones for the NES/SNES.

Well, the SNES PSU can be modified for use, but it's not worth the hassle. I recall the N64 using a weird adapter that plugs into its spine, but I don't remember if the US/JP/EU/AU versions are all identical. If they are, then a local version would work.

A power strip doesn't affect input voltage. It affects load on your AC line when you use many devices, but this is amperage drain, and would be significant only if you overload your circuit breaker (around 30A); so if you want to run 50 Famicom units on one outlet, you're out of luck (unless you have a 60A breaker on it, in which case if you want more than 100 units, too bad, etc.) other than that, it neither helps nor hinders the flow of electricity.

Bottom line: Use a step-down transformer 9a $35 investment that will run many consoles at once and even a Japanese TV) or use local PSUs with the correct rating. I invested in stocking over 500 PSUs (high quality, new old stock RS models, built like a tank) with the correct rating to provide with Famicom and SFC systems to my customers for just this very reason: No need to go out of your way to get anything extra. When those all all gone, well, then I'll have to come up with another solution.  

@dukbrand: Yes, you can plug a power//surge/spike strip into a step-down transformer: I do it all the time. Either remove the grounding pin from the power plug on the strip, or add a 3-pin to 2-pin adapter in-between the transformer and the power-strip and you'll be good to go. Just be sure not to go over the maximum wattage load for the transformer (500W, 100W, etc; depending on the model that you buy) when adding devices.

Most transformers supply both 100VAC and 110VAC via two ports; some (high wattage) have multiple ports for each, so you don't lose a wall-outlet. It acts, in essence, as an extension cord as well as a power converter. I advise always using a surge strip on both ends of the transformer (power in from wall + power out to devices), to prevent damage to the unit in case of shorts, and to prevent damage to the unit in case of spikes.

If you want to use a UPS, you'll need to use it on the input voltage end, plugging the step-down transformer into it and then the UPS into the wall outlet; do not use it in reverse, except if the UPS is designed for 100VAC.  :bomb:

tappybot

What's a step down converter that you would suggest?  Any in particular?  Are you selling any right now?

So my set up could look like this:

Step Down Converter into Wall Socket -> Power Strip/Surge Protecter into Step Down Converter -> Game console Power Adapters plugged into Power Strip...      :question:

mrdomino

The adapter used by the model 1 Sega Mega Drive/Genesis in all regions is identical to the Famicom's, that might be an easier option if you can get hold of one.
some of my stuff: twitter // super multi // handheld underground

Xious

Quote from: tappybot on February 16, 2011, 04:35:00 am
What's a step down converter that you would suggest?  Any in particular?  Are you selling any right now?

So my set up could look like this:

Step Down Converter into Wall Socket -> Power Strip/Surge Protecter into Step Down Converter -> Game console Power Adapters plugged into Power Strip...      :question:

I suggest the ones on Amazon., specifically this one, the VCT VT-500J[/ur].

They work flawlessly, ad 500W is all you're likely to need. VCT also makes models with more wattage, in case you require them:  I have one 500W and one 1000W model and both work splendidly. (The 1000W model is also powering Sharp TVs.)

tappybot

Wow, what a beast.  I'll take your word for it though, I went ahead and ordered it.

Quote from: XiousEither remove the grounding pin from the power plug on the strip, or add a 3-pin to 2-pin adapter in-between the transformer and the power-strip and you'll be good to go.

Would the grounding pin alter the 100V current going through the strip? What reason do you want to leave out that pin?