Famicom Four Player Adapter

Started by tappybot, February 16, 2011, 04:54:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nintendodork

I don't own any four player NES/Famicom games, but simply to test it out, I plugged that converter into my Famicom, plugged a Four Score into the converter, and then plugged a regular NES controller into the first port on the Four Score, and it worked just fine. :star:
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

tappybot

Nintendodork, where did you get your adapter?

So Xious, unless I modify something, the only way I can play 4 player famicom games, period, is if I buy the Hori Multitap and enough controllers with ends that can go into the accessory port.

By NES Toaster, you mean top loader model, right? The expansion port on the bottom of that is the same as the famicom accessory port?

This is all very educational, thanks everyone for your informative posts.   :yoshi:

NintendoKing

One of our members, used to make them. Nintendork bought a prototype version, but I do not know if said member still makes the adapters or not.

nintendodork

Quote from: tappybot on February 16, 2011, 08:24:58 pm
Nintendodork, where did you get your adapter?
[...]
By NES Toaster, you mean top loader model, right? The expansion port on the bottom of that is the same as the famicom accessory port?
I got it from a member here on a custom order. I don't know if he'd still make them or not.
Xious meant the original NES.  The toaster has an expansion port on the bottom that was never actually used for anything.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Xious

February 16, 2011, 08:33:57 pm #19 Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:39:07 pm by Xious
Quote from: nintendodork on February 16, 2011, 08:18:07 pm
I don't own any four player NES/Famicom games, but simply to test it out, I plugged that converter into my Famicom, plugged a Four Score into the converter, and then plugged a regular NES controller into the first port on the Four Score, and it worked just fine. :star:

This is because using ports 1&2 on the FourScore is existentially identical to using an extension cable. Try running a 4-player game, the plug a device into ports 3&4; the Famicom game doesn't read the electronic signature from the third and fourth controllers, and they won't function as such. It's possible that a NES 4-player game will work this way, but I've never tested this theory, and I have doubts, as the registers may not be correct.

I can also make those adapters: If I have the time coming up, I'll probably knock out a few.  :bomb:

P.S. I've made something for that NES EXP port. :)

ericj

It is possible to wire up a Four Score with a DA15 female cable to work for 4 player games. I've made two of these (sold one on here and made a replacement for myself). You have to completely bypass the IC in the Four Score for it to work, since as Xious points out, the NES Four Score uses multiplexing, which the Famicom doesn't support.

tappybot

Well Xious, if you, or anyone else made something that allows 4 player famicom games to be play with a four score, or some other multitap with NES controller ports, I'd be happy to take it off your hands if you're selling.

Now the thing you're talking about that goes into the bottom of the NES, that allows it to use the hori multitap then?

Xious

True, although at that point you're only using the body of the unit and directly wiring the ports. If you want to do it this way, I'd wire it both ways and use a selection switch to toggle between modes.

I'll eventually get around to making a few types of adapters: At present, I have one request for a bypass adapter (NES or FC controller to FC DA-15F), so when I do them, I'll let you all know. The EXP device is this (the NESpander Dev):

http://atariusa.com/flashback/index.php?cat=7

No, the aren't (yet) available to buy, so please don't ask.

punkpolitical

Quote from: Xious on February 16, 2011, 09:40:29 pm
True, although at that point you're only using the body of the unit and directly wiring the ports. If you want to do it this way, I'd wire it both ways and use a selection switch to toggle between modes.

I'll eventually get around to making a few types of adapters: At present, I have one request for a bypass adapter (NES or FC controller to FC DA-15F), so when I do them, I'll let you all know. The EXP device is this (the NESpander Dev):

http://atariusa.com/flashback/index.php?cat=7

No, the aren't (yet) available to buy, so please don't ask.
Xious  glad to see the NESpander is coming along. When do you think one of them might be sell-able?

P

So you need a Hori multitap and four special Hori controllers to be able to play 4 player on those games that support it? Can't you even use the built in controllers on the Famicom for player 1 and player 2?

Is it possible to build a splitter with Neo Geo extension cables that works with these games if this multitap is near impossible to find?
Someone bought all the Neo Geo cables from Tototek though...

ericj

Quote from: P on February 17, 2011, 01:04:29 pm
Is it possible to build a splitter with Neo Geo extension cables that works with these games if this multitap is near impossible to find?

Someone bought all the Neo Geo cables from Tototek though...

Yes, it is possible. Have a look at the link Xious posted about the way the Famicom requires them to be wired.

ToToTEK will have more in stock soon. They always sell out pretty quickly.

P

February 21, 2011, 03:06:12 pm #26 Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:14:47 pm by P
I don't have enough technical knowledge to understand all that but If it's just a matter of tying together cables and isolating them in electronic tape it shouldn't be any problems as long as I know what cables goes where.

So these games with 4 player support needed to have it's code altered if they wanted to release it for NES with 4 player support?

Edt: Looking at the link again it doesn't seem to be that complicated after all.

Xious

I strongly advise soldering the connections...

For the FC games on a NES: Either change the code (a lot of work) or view up a FC-type four-player adapter to the EXP slot.  :bomb:

P

February 22, 2011, 10:46:18 am #28 Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 08:18:03 am by P
OK soldering cables still sounds easier than soldering on a PCB. Thanks for the advice!

Oh I meant what the companies had to do to release the games in a NES region. For example Super Dodge Ball doesn't have 4 player support like the Japanese version maybe because of this problem. I don't have a NES anymore, it was thrown out long ago (without my knowledge) but I have Famicom now so I'm happy again!

Edit: I finally found information about the splitter! There is one called Hori Twin Adapter and it splits extension port into two DA-15 ports. I guess you can use it for all 3 and 4 player games. But it seems to be quite costly.

Edit2: Found another splitter called "Joy Pair", I have no more info on it though.

tappybot

Quote from: P on February 22, 2011, 10:46:18 am
OK soldering cables still sounds easier than soldering on a PCB. Thanks for the advice!

Oh I meant what the companies had to do to release the games in a NES region. For example Super Dodge Ball doesn't have 4 player support like the Japanese version maybe because of this problem. I don't have a NES anymore, it was thrown out long ago (without my knowledge) but I have Famicom now so I'm happy again!

Edit: I finally found information about the splitter! There is one called Hori Twin Adapter and it splits extension port into two DA-15 ports. I guess you can use it for all 3 and 4 player games. But it seems to be quite costly.

Edit2: Found another splitter called "Joy Pair", I have no more info on it though.

Saw a couple Joypair in box today.  They're not very expensive, like 15 bucks.. I didn't buy it though since I wasn't sure exactly what it was,  Must go back and get it next week.  :-X