Possible to mod NEX wireless stick with NES 7pin cord?

Started by satoshi_matrix, February 24, 2011, 01:12:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

satoshi_matrix

Hey all.

I recently picked up a Generation NEX Arcade stick and think it's actually pretty great. The only problem with it really is that as it's wireless, it can only be used with the rather crappy NEX Famiclone and not real hardware. To address that, I'd like to add in an NES controller cord to the stick, but am wondering if this is even possible.

Here's the info I know about it.

The main board has a gloptop for a 4021 with no obvious places for soldering wires to.
Looking over the board there seems to be test points scattered about, but nothing is labeled.
Looks like its common ground as the Joystick microswitches are daisy chained and so are the B and A buttons.
It's powered by four AAA's so 6v total. Would NES VCC 5v be enough to satisfy the stick?

Would it be possible to run a cord and control the stick and maintain it's wireless functionality?  The wireless is great for use on the NEX and I'd like to keep it intact if I can. 

Images
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30701966@N04/5473444676/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30701966@N04/5473445732/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30701966@N04/5472851687/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30701966@N04/5472852677/

inside the casing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30701966@N04/5473456304/

I've got lots of soldering experience and have done several NES related mod projects in the past.

Any help is much appreciated.

Xious

Please clarify: You want to have both wired and wireless ability maintained?

You could wire up a separate 4021B, and add a selector switch to change the ground and +5V paths; just get a six position switch to add to it, and possibly some junction diodes for good measure.

That is a really well-made stick!.  :bomb:

NintendoKing

Seems to be a worthwhile mod of a cool looking arcade-style unit for sure.

satoshi_matrix

Xious, I want to be able to still use the stick wirelessly on the NEX, but also want to be able to plug it into a actual NES and use it there. I've thought of placing in a salvaged 4021, but that would mean the turbo fire wouldn't work.

What about adding an NES MAX controller to the mix as it also has a LB4969 for turbo fire? If I were to solder signal traces to the the buttons of the MAX to the signal traces of the NEX stick, would that then give me what I want without the need to add in a switch? Of course, that presents a bit of a question of how the turbo would work - I'd like to be able to use the NEX's pots to adjust the turbo rate when plugged in to an NES. Can I do this or is there a flaw in my thinking?

ericj

I can't see the pics here at work, but why couldn't you just wire the NES port into where the wireless output transmitter PCB receives the clock/data/latch signals and then wire up the 5V and ground on whichever PCB they're supposed to go?

If I'm reading this correctly, you're only wanting to bypass the wireless sender/receiver, so I'm not sure why you can't just grab the signals from where they input into the wireless sending board and then hook up the 5V & ground.

satoshi_matrix

The wireless receiver is an twelve pin component, but it looks like two of those pins are ground, so that would leave ten pins, nine of which directly go into the globtop. I have no idea what the signals are as nothing is labeled and they all go directly into the globtop.

If you can take a look over the pics later and determine what the signals are or instruct me in a way of finding that out, then by all means that would be excellent and solve my problem. 

ericj

After reading a bit more on this, I realized that the Generation NEX has built-in wireless technology. I assume you don't have the required wireless receiver to hook into the NES ports to use this on a NES. (Sorry, I was a bit slow figuring this out  :P )

As for why there are 12 pins---looks like a couple are ground, the 3 middle are unused, and the remaining 7 would be the ones you need to figure out. One has to be a 5V+, so you can probably figure that one out pretty easily, which leaves 6. I would imagine that one or 2 of them are directly involved with how the wireless transmitter functions, so either figure out the clock, latch, and data points, or figure out which are only for the transmitter. This would leave you with a few to figure out.

Maybe someone has a good idea for how to figure those out, other than trial-and-error, but that would be my route.

Xious

I suggest using a 4021B because it's an easily purchased part from your local electronic supply shoppe, in either plastic or ceramic. You can still add turbo capabilities with some additional parts and wiring: I can supply you with a schematic for this if you need one.  :bomb:

satoshi_matrix

Xious, I have a NES MAX controller I don't use that I think would be a perfect donor for parts as it has a cord, a 4021 and a LB4969 for turbo fire. If I could incorperate the MAX into the wireless stick but retain battery powered wireless with the NEX, that's what I want to do.