NES/Famicom Starting Guide

Started by satoshi_matrix, April 05, 2011, 07:37:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

satoshi_matrix

Among my gamer friends, I've the biggest retro gamer of the group. I've been asked by a lot of people what is the best NES or Famicom to buy, which system is best suited for young kids, which one is best for collectors, and many more such questions. After being asked for the millionth time such questions, I decided to write a handy dandy buyer's guide for 8-bit Nintendo systems.

This is intended for first time buyers as well as long time veterans. With so many choices out there, I thought I should go over the strengths and weaknesses of each. Hope you guys enjoy!

NES/Famicom Starting Guide
http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/nesfamicom-starting-guide/

Perhaps this could even be featured here on the site. I think this could help a lot of retro gamers out there.

Xious

Reads fine enough to start, although there are an array of bits of misinformation...A few technical corrections and expansions on your information follow:

'There was an expansion port in the front of the system that allowed gamers to use other third party controllers, but such controllers could only be used for player one, and nearly all third party controllers had the same short three foot cables.  Due to the inclusion of the microphone, there are no Start or Select buttons on the second controller.'

The EXP port does permit both P-I and P-II controllers: Some joysticks and joycards were specific to either, but were and are available. Further, with either a multitap or an adapter, the EXP port allows for up to four-player control or two external controllers at once. Some controllers even included a bypass for Player-II: An example of this is the Arkanoid II: Revenge of Doh paddle (blue & teal), which has a port on it to pass-through for another vaus paddle (either the original black and red or the later blue and teal type) for the second player.

I don't recall any Famicom game that would use either Start or Select for Player-II either, thus the loss of these buttons is not a detriment. Off-hand, I don't remember any NES title that required the start or select buttons on the Player-II controller either, although some may have permitted their use. Still, it is both possible to use an external Player-II controller and to add start and select buttons to the hardwired controller if the user fancies.

The"new Family Computer' is the Japanese counterpart to the North American NES-101 'toploader'. the HVC-101 is the only version of the Nintendo without an RF modulator, making it composite video only.

There is an RF-Modulator box specifically designed for the New Famicom. I have one NOS, and can send you both photos and the part number if you require it--the part is otherwise identical to the RF Modulator used for the Super Famicom-type multi-out port, and later on the (Ultra Famicom) N64.

The addition of the disk drive assembly means the TWIN Famicom is rather large, especially compared to the compact design of the other Famicom models. It's about the size of the the first DVD players or most VCRs, if you can remember that far back. It's rarity coupled with its size and weight make it an expensive Famicom choice to import from Japan, and it still uses permanently attached controllers with only 3 feet of cable. Like standalone Famicom Disk Systems, the intenral motor belt can break or melt, and replacements are becoming increasingly uncommon.

The Twin is nowhere near the size of a VCR. It's about 2/3 the width of the average, modern VHS deck... The later (AN-505) models have 6-foot controller cords and Turbo switches.

The FDS belt is a common issue to all FDS drives, not only the Twin: Buyers should expect to pay more both for a unit with a refurbished drive, and for the AN-500R, AN-505-BK and most of all the AN-505-RD models, which commonly sell for between US$400 and US$600 before postage. Generally, the lower-priced the unit, the less-likely it is to be working and restored units in Japan (and elsewhere) start at US$125-150 and go up from there, usually falling in the $150 to $250 range. Fully-functional units always cost more, and are generally more expensive than your stated prices, save by rare exception.

You may wish to include each unit as a separate entry, as well as add an entry for the Square-Button FC, which is missing--and if you want to cover collector pieces, the SBFC and all four Twin models should be here--as is the C1 'My Computer TV' series (six models). Additionally, all four of the Twin systems have RF-out via a special output port that requires a specific adapter-module.

SHARP Famicom Titler

Common Nicknames: RGB Famicom, Hitler with tits
Model Number: ? [I wish I knew]
Platform: 60 pin (Famicom cartridges)
Manufacturer: SHARP Electronics
Price Range: $350-600

The Famicom Titler is a very rare Famicom variant that allowed users to play Famicom games as well as create custom title cards for VHS home movies. It features controls on the system as well as a small touch pad to write messages for custom titles. It is the only Famicom to offer RGB video output.

The Sharp Titler is part No. AN-510. I would refrain from referencing Hitler if at all possible: I have never heard such a name, and it is thus certainly neither common, nor appropriate. Further, it does not output RGB, although it uses an RGB-mode PPU. The Titler outputs S-VHS-quality S-Video, plus A/V out. I don't recall off-hand if it has RF-Out or not, but I will check. It was not intended or even sold as a home-system, and was marketed to businesses doing video-overlay either for commercial tapes, magazine photographs, and store displays.

I also advise mentioning that pricing given is for average systems, loose (unboxed) and as-is. Lastly, there are a great number of spelling and grammatical errors that you may want to clean up before publishing it: I suggest using Word to check for them. If you desire, I will polish it for you when you've finished writing it and ensure it is of top-notch literary quality.  :bomb:

Jedi Master Baiter

Ooh! Quick correction:

Nintendo Entertainment System Toploader
Common Nicknames: NES Toaster, Frontloader, ol' gray box

You used the same nicknames as the NES-001.

I think you already know the NES 2's nicknames.

Kiddo

Quote from: Xious on April 05, 2011, 10:48:41 pm
I don't remember any NES title that required the start or select buttons on the Player-II controller either, although some may have permitted their use.

Cowboy Kid requires the second player to use the select button to exchange weapons. This issue made playing the game boring for my friends when playing it on my old famiclone through an adapter, since they were stuck with using the knife all game long but I could use the guns  :D

satoshi_matrix

Hey thanks for your corrections guys. Helps make the article even better. Please take a look. I make a heck of a lot of edits and added some more info in. Hopefully it's up to snuff now.

Xious

I'll check over the Titler plus I'll get you the part numbers for the Twin's video box and the HVC-NFF's RF Modulator in a little while. I wanted to mention that the only consumer Famicom product to offer RGB output is the C1 (Sharp) series: All models use an RGB PPU and have an integrated RGB display. The Vs. machines are still essentially Famicom/NES boards as well, and have RGB out, so you may want to include a section on them.  :bomb:

i heart yuna

and i can provide you with any photos you need of a Vs. cab. PCBs, chip sets and/or daughter boards.
Famicom Club! http://www.famicom.ca

satoshi_matrix

why not. sounds like a good deal to me.