Questions about AV Famicom 2nd controller port mod

Started by dave in or, April 14, 2011, 01:59:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dave in or

I should be able to easily perform this mod, but I have a few questions.

1.  After the mod, will the 15 pin port still be functional for famicom accessories?

2.  If so, would a famicom controller work with U.S. games?

3.  Would a famicom controller work work with U.S. games if it was left un-modded?

4.  Will U.S. accessories in the 2nd port work with Famicom games after being modded?

NintendoKing

As far as I am aware yes to every single question, the mod only makes it so NES expansion accessories will work through the second controller port instead of running through the original 15-pin like they are designed to do.

Xious

Quote from: dave in or on April 14, 2011, 01:59:57 pm
I should be able to easily perform this mod, but I have a few questions.

Which system are you modding? Are you altering the ports on a New Famicom (A/V) or adding NES-type ports to an original Famicom or Sharp Twin system?
1.  After the mod, will the 15 pin port still be functional for famicom accessories?

2.  If so, would a famicom controller work with U.S. games?

3.  Would a famicom controller work work with U.S. games if it was left un-modded?

4.  Will U.S. accessories in the 2nd port work with Famicom games after being modded?

1. As I recall, the mod doesn't require you to cut any traces, thus the DA-15 port should be fine.

I've seen a couple mods like this. Which one are you attempting?

2. I don't undersand this question... Famicom conrollers already work with US/NES games. If you mean multi-player or PowerPad games, with the correct mod, they work fine.

3. Same issue understanding your question (which controllers?. You can use Famicom conrollers (D-pad + A/B + Start/Select) on all US/NES games. This is true both of hardwired conrollers on the FC and Twin, and port-based controllers on the New Famicom (A/V).

4. Some will, others will not: Some games can only use the built-in controllers and won't work with any Exp-port accessories. Some Family Trainer titles have been reported to be problematic with a PowerPad via a mod. Light Gun games all work; 3&4-player games will not work without a different type of 4-player adapter (e.g. Hori Multitap or custom-made). US/NES 4-player games will work normally with a port-mod and a Four Score, etc..

You can convert a NES Four Score to be switchable between NES and FC modes if you want to be creative. This requires internal rewiring of the Four Score via a multi-terminal switch.

Search my posts for more details on why and how the 4-player modes differ.

I hope all of this is clear and helpful. :bomb:
:bomb: