Here's something I would like to know about the PAL DS Cases

Started by FamicomRetroGamer, November 23, 2013, 11:36:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FamicomRetroGamer

It kind of annoys me still to this day that Nintendo DS PAL cases are thick and its content inside is simply two booklets and the game card.

People say that it's because of how multilingual PAL DS is but I've never seen a DS game filled inside with a ton of different booklets in various languages.

So is there the definitive reason of this? It's just hard to believe that above is the legit reason.

However, I am very thankful that Nintendo on 3DS cases are now slim-ish so that's quite an improvement I'm happy about because honestly they take so much space for no good reason (if I just kept the Game Card it'd save even more space, yeah I know).

P

Usually there are several languages in the same instructions booklet. Not multiple booklets. But I just checked one of my DS games and yeah it just had English in it (Scandinavian Nintendo is too lazy to translate to Swedish nowdays :().

For 3DS it seems the manual always comes in digital form on the cart. I still prefer cart version over download version though. Space is precious but space on SD card is even more precious for me.

L___E___T

It is mainly because of multilanguage manuals, yes.  

P will have an English export territories game I would expect, not all games would translate to Scandinavian languages as the territory is small compared to say Germany and Austria.

Digital manuals save a lot of cost as you don't have to print anything or assemble it in the factory.  
I made a 3DS digital manual and some paper parts when the system first came out.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

Bergsala (Nintendo) used to always translate all manuals for NES, Gameboy and SNES (or at least all games me and my friends had) to Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish and sometimes they had English as well. They had a guy with a typewriter that did all the translation work at home and faxed it to Bergsala (English to Swedish). I think it was sometime in the late Nintendo 64 years that we started to get manuals in English, France, German etc, but no Swedish.

Also manuals have become more boring since then. Just look at any Famicom manual, it's full of illustrations of every enemy and character in the game, and has funny hints and stuff.

But I see many benefits of digital manuals. You don't have to spend so much money on perfect CIB copies when you are collecting old 3DS games in the future.

L___E___T

I would like to see digital manuals utilise the potential more.  Animated moveset instructions, interactive hints and tips sections, attract mode style story introductions and the like.  There's way, way more that could be done than just digital text simply to save paper.  They could be the manuals of the future, like a companion to the game while you're playing it.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。