Second analogue stick on 3DS is real but...

Started by FamicomRetroGamer, September 07, 2011, 12:24:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

guivader

Batteries required. Nintendo is going Retro on us. :p

Protoman

I will appreciate the better grip, and a second analog stick/pad is a good thing folks. I don't get the hate. Sure it looks pretty ugly, and it'll cost 20 bucks but I'm also sure it will be bundled with games like monster hunter. And the crap about it not fitting in a pocket, meh, I wear a backpack, I dont have room for anything else in my pockets than my wallet and keys anyway.

jpx72

Jedi Master Baiter

I still don't get it - isn't one enough? It's not like the DS/Lite had any.

This is coming from the guy who thinks Street Fighter II had too many buttons. :-\

manuel

I also think that one is enough...
But then I don't like the type of games that require 2.  ;D

P

I think so too. Only thing I can think of that a second stick is really needed for is camera control in 3D games, but even that isn't necessary as proved with for example Ocarina of time which works just fine with just a camera centering button. Other than that, game creators mostly use it as extra function buttons or for gimmick functions that are added only because that the stick exists. Thus it shouldn't be necessary on a portable system that needs to be compact, not saying that it is a bad thing to have though.

The fact that this peripheral requires an extra battery seems to me to be one of it's bigger problems.

Cheetahmen

Quote from: P on September 25, 2011, 01:17:42 pmI think so too. Only thing I can think of that a second stick is really needed for is camera control in 3D games, but even that isn't necessary as proved with for example Ocarina of time which works just fine with just a camera centering button.
I dunno, certain arcade games like Robotron 2084 and Smash T.V. work best with two sticks. That said, I don't think it's a big enough deal for this 2nd analogue stick to be made.
Life is too short to be little.
Twitter | DeviantArt | Youtube | Twitch

FamicomRetroGamer

1st analogue stick - control the character
2nd analogue stick - control the camera

Controlling the camera via buttons or touching the screen isn't ideal.

P

Quote from: Cheetahmen on September 25, 2011, 02:15:19 pm
I dunno, certain arcade games like Robotron 2084 and Smash T.V. work best with two sticks. That said, I don't think it's a big enough deal for this 2nd analogue stick to be made.

You certainly have a point there if you are going to re-release old games or ports of games that requires two sticks.

Quote from: FamicomRetroGamer on September 25, 2011, 03:42:05 pm
1st analogue stick - control the character
2nd analogue stick - control the camera

Controlling the camera via buttons or touching the screen isn't ideal.

Yeah that was what I meant. We seem to have different opinions on this though. I think you can make 3D games so you don't need camera control like in Ocarina of Time, but it requires that the game designers are good at camera programing. It was nice to have full camera control in Wind Waker though.

P

That I don't know. Only FPS I play is Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark and none of them use a second stick. They require the C-buttons which acts kind of like an extra cross pad though.

FamicomRetroGamer

Quote from: petik1 on September 26, 2011, 11:47:54 am
How about fps's?

The same applies.

Playing fps games on PSP which only has one analogue stick, same as 3DS, couldn't content me so I desist from playing it on it.

MarioMania

How many games will use the 2nd Analog Stick??

UglyJoe

From one of the Kotaku articles I posted earlier:
QuoteBesides Monster Hunter 3 G, the following games support the 3DS Expansion Slide Pad:
  • Capcom's Resident Evil: Revelations,
  • Konami's Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D,
  • Namco Bandai's Ace Combat 3D Cross Rumble,
  • Tecmo Koei's Dynasty Warriors VS and
  • Square Enix's still undated Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance].