Games that make getting a Genesis worthwhile?

Started by VenomMacbeth, October 09, 2011, 06:14:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

L___E___T

October 12, 2011, 12:21:48 pm #15 Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:09:50 pm by L___E___T
Some affordable, must-have, common games I had as a kid:

- Streets of Rage 2
- Mercs
- Universal Soldier (it's turrican rebranded)
- Earthworm Jim I & II
- World of Illusion starring Mickey & Donald
- Cosmic Spacehead
- Gunstar Heroes
- James Pond
- Toki Apespit
- Another World
- Flashback - The Quest For Identity
- Strider
- The Terminator
- Terminator 2 The Arcade Game
- Revenge of Shinobi
- Shinobi III
- Vectorman
- Zool
- Global Gladiators starring Mick & Mack (MacDonald's)
- Micro Machines (the 8-player one)
- Fantastic Dizzy
- Cool Spot
- Road Rash I, II or III
- Burning Force
- Animaniacs
- Golden Axe

Of course, I'd like to point out that these are the games I've played and enjoyed, but I think there's something for everyone in this list - along with those mentioned previously.  
Take a look here at the Genesis/Megadrive list and check YouTube out before buying, but you really are spoiled for choice with plenty of cheap games available:

http://www.vgmuseum.com/genesis.htm

Spoiler
These are pricey, but amazing:
- Alien Soldier
- GleyLancer
[close]
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

crade

GRRR!

Ragnar

Really great games to own on the genesis are also
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (not unlike the snes game and is great to have in their collection).
zombies ate my neighbors (the game is hilarious where you arm yourself with the weirdest weapons and have to kill all kind of creatures to save your neighbors, but of course if you dont like them you can let the zombies eat them ).
Comix Zone (fun platformer which you leap from page to page beating up bad guys with a fun twist).

i also just want to add that street of rage and street figther games are just awsome to have on the genesis  ;D

son_ov_hades

One of my favorite platformers as a kid was Puggsy. Great underrated game.

L___E___T

Mega Turrican is ace but I prefer the Universal Soldier version - the music is great throughout.  

Also, I left it off so as not to sound super biased, but I played Street Fighter II' Special Champion Edition TO DEATH.  
There are better ports to be honest but if you can find it cheap, why not pick it up.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

linkzpikachu

if you like spaceship shooters DEFINANTLY go with fireshark, though i would recommend getting a box copy as the cart. isnt to exciting to look at
FUCK YEAH SEAKING!

BonBon

NintendoKing

Quackshot: starring Donald Duck
Haunting: starring Polterguy
Sunset Riders
Decal Attack
The Ooze

Those are just a bit of my favorites from childhood.

jpx72

Was Zero Tolerance mentioned? If not, it's an interesting doom-like FPS shooter. Some background worth reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Tolerance_%28video_game%29

Utremi

Probably a little late, but check out Landstalker, Beyond Oasis, and Crusader of Centy if you like RPG's at all. Beyond Oasis is a bit like Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Another World has already been mentioned, and that's a very cool platformer/puzzle adventure game. Short, difficult, and artsy. Flashback: The Quest For Identity is a game in the same vein as that, incidentally created by the same studio, Delphine Software. Ecco The Dolphin is a beautiful game, deceivingly cute (dolphins!) and notoriously hard. I'm surprised at how well the physics and controls are implemented - very fluid. There is a sequel, Ecco: Tides of Time, that I have two copies of but have not played.

MaxXimus

I agree with those that said gunstar heroes. It really is an awesome game.

I also recommend you get a game genie for added fun.

Lum

burning force and game genie are good suggestions.

An extra benefit to game genie, is some japan games will fit. puyo puyo 1 & 2 work that way.
*bzzzt*

MaxXimus

I use game genie to boot my mega drive bootleg multicarts. I'm not much of a cheater in games. I like codes that cause cosmetic changes though.