Custom Famicom Cartridge labels?

Started by Parodius Duh, October 26, 2011, 10:19:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RainLink

August 30, 2012, 08:13:42 am #211 Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:52:30 pm by RainLink
What happened to this cool thread? It can't die! I won't let it!

I'm a huge Rockman fan and I've always admired the design of the Rockman 1-6 Famicom label art. I whipped this up in my spare time yesterday after browsing through all of the neat custom labels in this thread:

I tried to mimic the simplistic style showcased on most of the Rockman Famicom carts, yet add a dash of elegance to it. Yes I realize that Rockman 9 is only available on Wii/PS3/Xbox, but I think it looks cool to see what it would have looked like had it been released on our favorite 8-bit console.

And this is just a rough mockup I threw together in five minutes what the label would look like on an actual cart:

Let me know what you guys think and I look forward to seeing more custom labels!  :)
"Consider your origins: You were not made to live as brutes, but to follow virtue and knowledge." - Dante Alighieri

jpx72

That my friend is called an ART! Awesome work! Very, very nice!

RainLink

Thank you jpx72!  :D

I'm thinking about making a Rockman 10 cart label but I'm having a hard time finding a high quality "Rockman 10" logo. hmmmm...
"Consider your origins: You were not made to live as brutes, but to follow virtue and knowledge." - Dante Alighieri

L___E___T

You could always create one... That's what I had to do.  I think it was only called Megaman 10 as well, I couldn't find a Rockman 10 (unless I'm imagining it)!
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

RainLink

Following the advice of  L___E___T (Thank you!), I had to "recreate" the Rockman 10 logo. And here's the finished result of my Rockman 10 Famicom Cart:

I also was messing around on the net and stumbled upon the holy grail of Rockman collectables: "The Golden Rockman 4 Cart". See here: http://www.rockmancorner.com/2009/11/behold-gold-rockman-4-cartridge.html

So I thought "Wouldn't it be cool if Rockman 10 could have something similar?"
Behold! :D

Originals:

L___E___T

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

RainLink

Thanks again  L___E___T!

I made a Final Fantasy VII Famicom label based off of that horrid pirate with the same name. I modeled the overall structure of the label from the cover of the Final Fantasy III cart. As you can see below my FFVII label fits in quite nicely with the official labels.

The guys over at romhacking.net are doing an English tranlation of that pirate and I must admit they are working hard and it looks very promising. Check it out! http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=12466.0

:redcart: :redcart: :redcart: :redcart: :redcart: :redcart: :redcart: :redcart: :redcart: :redcart: :redcart: :redcart: :redcart:

And I made another Rockman label, this time for the popular rom hack "Rockman No Constancy".

I love doing these labels they are so much fun! If anybody has any requests I'd be more than happy to oblige and see what I could do.

jpx72

Wow RainLink that is awesome, I see you like Rockman, would you try to make one for Rockman 4: Minus Infinity?
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/910/
(Would be awesome if you can do this one for the bigger cartridge since it's a MMC5 hack and all MMC5 games are big format (LINK)

manuel

Wow, damn  :o, those Rockman labels look super sweet!   ;D

RainLink

September 05, 2012, 10:52:06 am #220 Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:36:53 pm by RainLink
Thank you guys both! And jpx72 that Rockman 4: Minus Infinity looks fun to create! I'll see what I can do  :D

Post Merge: September 05, 2012, 04:36:52 pm

Quote from: jpx72 on September 05, 2012, 04:51:19 am
Wow RainLink that is awesome, I see you like Rockman, would you try to make one for Rockman 4: Minus Infinity?
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/910/
(Would be awesome if you can do this one for the bigger cartridge since it's a MMC5 hack and all MMC5 games are big format (LINK)

How does this look? I didn't have a proper template to make large MMC5 carts, so I just kinda messed around with the dimensions of the regular famicom cart template to match the proportions of a larger MMC5 cart. Please forgive me if the dimensions aren't 100% accurate.

I once again had a hard time finding a good quality of the Rockman 4 logo, so I ended up making it from scratch like I did with my Rockman 10 cart. I thought the addition of Dr. Cossack in the Minus symbol and Dr. Willy in the Infinity symbol was a neat little effect and I liked the way it came out personally.  I ended up making the text underneath the Rockman 4 logo  "Minus Infinity" in Japanese as opposed to English because I thought it flowed better and looked more official. I made the little design in the background orange based off of the original famicom cart color of Rockman 4, as well as the cover of Rockman 4: Complete Works on the PS1. Let me know what you think jpx72!  :)

jpx72

Man that is so PERFECT!!!!! That one goes straight to the printer! Don't worry about not accurate dimensions, I can adjust it slightly whenever I need it (have to measure real cart first).
But the idea and whole concept is awesome! I love the black background and orange crossline, you have both of my favourite colours right there! And the "minus infinity" is exactly as the author of the hack meant it! It's perfect that you haven't used the words rather than symbols! And of course the idea of both evil doctors is great! Although I don't know if Dr.Cossack is in the hack present, don't worry about that, it still fits the whole concept perfectly!
THANK YOU

Butcherdeliz

You guys are awesomely talented! I love seeing all the art. The closest I can get to designing something like that is scribbling on MS paint. lol

manuel

If you need better "translations" for English subtitles, you can send me a pm if you want.
Online translations are terrible.  :-[

jpx72

Ok so big cartridge format label should be 9,1 x 5,5 mm ;)