Pokemon Yellow (hack)
Super Bros. 9 (hack)
Contra 6 (hack)
Big TV Mary Bar -- I think it's a hack of a Bit Corp. game
PC multicart with a bunch of PC stuff
MKII Special -- x2 I think. Can't get one to work
Poker III (Sachen)
Contra 7 -- appears to be Super C

Overall a decent lot. A few didn't turn out to be what I expected, and I'm disappointed one cart doesn't work at all.

nintendodork

Is Pokemon Green that hack of the Hello Kitty game with the frog?
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

JC

Kerokerokeroppi no Daibouken 2

nintendodork

Yeah, that's the one.  I got some Famicom stuff in the mail the other day.  I know what it is, but I can't take pics or use it until I go home.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

namzep

Received some new Famicom carts in the mail today:

Gun Nac
Double Dragon II
Mighty Bomb Jack
Murder on the Mississippi
Pac-Man
Star Solider
Star Luster
Wizardry

edit: I must say that JC gets in the coolest lots of fami hacks and pirates.

ericj

June 08, 2009, 05:09:43 pm #1265 Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 05:16:43 pm by ericj
Quote from: nintendodork on June 08, 2009, 02:45:08 pm
Is Pokemon Green that hack of the Hello Kitty game with the frog?

Quote from: JC on June 08, 2009, 02:46:28 pm
Kerokerokeroppi no Daibouken 2

It's a hack of the above-named game.

JC has it on one of the multicarts he has for sale:

This cart:

This game:

NintendoKing

June 08, 2009, 05:38:33 pm #1266 Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 05:51:55 pm by The Uninvited Gremlin
Quote from: JC on June 08, 2009, 02:15:18 pm
Nice stuff. I got a few carts today:

Pocket Monster
Pokemon 2 (hack)
Pokemon Blue (hack)
Pokemon Red (hack)
Pokemon Green (hack)
Pokemon Silver (hack)
Pokemon Yellow (hack)
Super Bros. 9 (hack)
Contra 6 (hack)
Big TV Mary Bar -- I think it's a hack of a Bit Corp. game
PC multicart with a bunch of PC stuff
MKII Special -- x2 I think. Can't get one to work
Poker III (Sachen)
Contra 7 -- appears to be Super C

Overall a decent lot. A few didn't turn out to be what I expected, and I'm disappointed one cart doesn't work at all.

My Pokemon multicart has
Pocket Monster and Pokemon Green,
and I still love that game!

nintendodork

Here's what I got in the mail two days ago from Carl:

Another Pulse Line, woohoo!  I replaced both pads in the controller.  The D-pad is still a little loose, so I'm going to look for tighter controllers in the future.

For anyone who hasn't seen the inside of a NES/Famicom controller, here's a pic I took when I was swapping pads:

The one on the left is a NES controller board, and the one on the right is, obviously, the Hori Turbo controller.

133MHz

Good job! I guess it proves that all controllers use the same type of rubber domes :).

nintendodork

Yup.  The pads are all the same, the thing I thought was weird was that the D-pad on the Hori controller is sort of curved upwards, while the NES D-pad is more balanced.  The Hori controller board is also more complicated than the NES one :P

133MHz

Quote from: nintendodork on June 08, 2009, 09:52:38 pm
The Hori controller board is also more complicated than the NES one :P

Because it's a turbo controller :P. The extra chips you see contain NOT gates which in conjunction with some discrete components form a crude ring oscillator, and those oscillations are used to 'push' the buttons repeatedly in turbo mode.

nintendodork

June 08, 2009, 10:05:10 pm #1271 Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:14:04 pm by nintendodork
I don't feel like opening it again, but I saw these little silver things on the bottom of the turbo buttons.  They looked like they hooked into the board or something, but I couldn't get them to go in it.  It didn't matter though, because the controller worked without them being in anything.  What would they be used for?

EDIT* Also, how come some games don't work with the turbo controller?  Is it because they don't look for anything in the expansion port?  SMB doesn't do anything when I turn on the A turbo, but it lets me use B turbo.

133MHz

The small silver springy pieces of metal beneath the turbo sliders make electrical contact with the board and bridge different traces depending on the slider's position (electronically they swap different resistor/capacitor values to alter the ring oscillator's frequency). It's a common problem for them to lose their springiness and make intermittent contact, or become clogged with dirt and crud.

If you don't put them in their places (or put them backwards etc), you lose the turbo functions. Plain and simple.

As for it not working on some games, it either works perfectly or it doesn't work at all (multicart menus seem to be the worst offenders with expansion port controllers).

nintendodork

Quote from: 133MHz on June 08, 2009, 10:22:40 pm
If you don't put them in their places (or put them backwards etc), you lose the turbo functions. Plain and simple.
In this certain scenario, I was playing SMB.  I turned on the B button turbo, and I started shooting mulitple fireballs, so that worked.  Then I tried pressing A without turbo, and I jumped normally, but then, when I turned on A button turbo and pressed A, nothing happened at all.  I even tried adjusting the turbo switch to various speeds.  I wonder what's causing that..

133MHz

I bet that you placed the silver springy thing for the A button backwards or something like that. Try another game first before taking the controller apart.