NEW flash famicom cartage

Started by FAMICOM_87, June 10, 2017, 04:34:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

P

Those aren't advantages either. The Everdrive also converts the voltage for the 3.3 V components (according to a certain web page at least), and edge connector thickness doesn't seem to be very different from official carts.

Those unlicensed carts are known to be very poorly designed and may be bad for your console.

FAMICOM_87

Quote from: P on August 01, 2017, 04:27:52 pm
Those unlicensed carts are known to be very poorly designed and may be bad for your console.

all new NES/Famicom :redcart: are not licensed by Nintendo!
They do not care about there's old systems,  all patents of 8 bit and 16 bit era are expired now  :crazy:

P

Patented or not, those cheap Ali-express multicarts are said to be poorly designed, mixing 5 V and 3.3 V components without converting the voltage between them. Not all unlicensed cartridges are bad, but the cheap ones apparently are.

FAMICOM_87

Quote from: P on August 03, 2017, 01:30:03 am
Patented or not, those cheap Ali-express multicarts are said to be poorly designed, mixing 5 V and 3.3 V components without converting the voltage between them. Not all unlicensed cartridges are bad, but the cheap ones apparently are.

That is all right :) Chines carts are on purpose made cheaply, and without proper, or any voltage translating!

But the KrzysioCart is a cheep home made alliterative to another expensive flash cards with voltage shifters, so NO 3.3V 5V issue here , the author clams that   8) And his card can handle 1MB PRG-ROM, when the others can only 512kB! I think this is good advantage over them!  :D

P

I just don't know what games uses 1 MB PRG and 512 kB CHR? The biggest licensed games (Metal Slader Glory) uses 512 kB in both PRG and CHR and are using MMC5 which this cart doesn't have enough hardware for.

FAMICOM_87

Quote from: P on August 04, 2017, 01:22:02 am
I just don't know what games uses 1 MB PRG and 512 kB CHR? The biggest licensed games (Metal Slader Glory) uses 512 kB in both PRG and CHR and are using MMC5 which this cart doesn't have enough hardware for.

that is the hing , the purpose of flash cartridge is to play all kind of homebrew games and pirate ones not only licensed :) 

P

Yes but what unlicensed games uses between 512 kB and 1 MB PRG?

It might be fine for homebrew development but you probably want to make homebrew that are in a size that it can be played by most people (unless you are selling it and want to avoid it getting pirated).

If it could play the biggest unlicensed games it would be a different matter though, but this cart can't do that. The price is attractive though, even cheaper than the Everdrive.

Great Hierophant

If this cartridge could run large unlicensed games like Action 52, Final Fantasy VII and Pokemon Yellow, then it would have some real value over the existing competition.  It has the PRG-ROM space to do it.
Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

P

Isn't Action 52: 512 * 3 = 1.5 MB PRG though?

But yeah that's the problem. It's a bit bigger than competing flashcarts but still not big enough.

krzy

I can replace the CPLD from EPM240 to EMP570 and then Final Fantasy VII, Bio Hazard, Pokemon Yellow, 45-in-1 will be able to run ;) Price would increase by 5$.
PRG capacity is 8 MB - megabytes, not megabits ;-)

P

Oh 8 MB! My bad!

What about MMC5 and FME-7?

krzy

Yes, FME7 is also supported but there might be not enough place in terms of CPLD macrocells to put all of those mappers at once, this was intended to be cheaper alternative to run most popular game. If you're looking to support ALL mappers then I'll be going to make reprogrammable flash cartridge in near future.

MMC5 is problematic because it needs addidional ram (EXRAM) and also posibility to read all PPU address and data pins (fill-mode nametable) so it would use a lot more CPLD's pins.

Great Hierophant

Quote from: krzy on August 05, 2017, 04:57:06 am
I can replace the CPLD from EPM240 to EMP570 and then Final Fantasy VII, Bio Hazard, Pokemon Yellow, 45-in-1 will be able to run ;) Price would increase by 5$.
PRG capacity is 8 MB - megabytes, not megabits ;-)

That might be worth it, the existing carts being sold on Aliexpress are not good for your console.
Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

FAMICOM_87

krzy, I am sure if you make your cartridge mmc5 with updateble mappers, and more space, this will be the best flash card ever, and go on professional PCB not home made, people will pay above 100$ for it, consider this! NES powerpack is 135$, and Everdrive  N8 NES/Famicom are 118$
you can eassely sell yours for more.
And even yours on this stage is the cheaper alternative, because of that I make this topic :)    :redcart: