USE Famicombox Cart To NES

Started by NES012, November 08, 2011, 06:43:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Phosphora

May 09, 2012, 05:29:00 pm #15 Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:45:56 am by Phosphora
Famicom Box carts work just like any other cart, they're simply games with a special region-lock in NES form factor. The Pin-out is the same as the NES.
They played fine on my unmodded Sharp Titler Famicom with an NES adaptor (Guess the Titler has no lock), played by just plugging into a top-loader US NES with no modification or adaptor needed (Top-Loader has no lockout chip), and will play on an old original toaster NES if you clip pin #4 on the lockout chip inside the console. As a matter of fact, I was playing a Black Hotel Box cart on my boring old Toaster NES that has had the lockout chip disabled just this very morning. :)

All the consoles that aren't locked that I've owned listed above do play these games.

Here's some quick candid photographic evidence. There's nothing super special about these carts that make them unplayable.
Yes, the carts are locked. The lock is easily bypassed in the same generic ways that you bypass any other Fami/NES lock.

michaelthegreat

The pinout is different but the difference is that the famicombox lockout chip is also routed to expansion port pins. Since these pins aren't used in the nes, the pinout difference doesn't matter. So just disable your lockout chip and you're good to go (dumping or playing).

i64X

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I recently picked up a Famicombox and have done some testing, and some of the information in this thread is wrong.

You CAN play Famicombox black games in a top loader North American NES. I did it - they work. They DO work in a front-loader NES with the lockout chip disabled. They DO NOT work in a front-loader NES without the lockout chip disabled.

They obviously do not work in a Famicom or AV Famicom due to the games being 72 pin games.

Standard NES carts DO NOT work in the Famicombox. When initially going through the cartridge check, the system fails when a normal NES cart is inserted and just says "Cassette Check Error" on the screen and won't boot.

Pickup/overview video is here showing what I described above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLUSGX1mjkA

L___E___T

What you'e just covered was exactly my understanding (but I didn't read over this thread fully yet), but you say the FamicomBox / FamicomStation games do not work in a Famicom or an AV Famicom.  While that's technically correct, it sounds a little like they won't work at all, whereas you just need a converter.  I'm sure that's what you were outlining all the same.

I still wish there as a way to get different game running on the FamicomBox / FamicomStation - surely it's possible one way or another..
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。