Famicom AC-Adapter and General Power F.A.Q.

Started by Xious, November 18, 2011, 06:54:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamtex

Quote from: Josh on October 09, 2012, 06:43:17 pm
In regards to the voltage converter linked in the OP: http://www.amazon.com/VCT-VT-1000J-Japanese-Transformer-Converts/dp/B000PC4SVU

How would one go about attaching a power strip to this to power multiple components? The only power strips I know of have a ground pin, but the 100V output of that converter does not have a ground socket.

By using a 2 prong to 3 prong convertor

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-9901-Grounding-Converter/dp/B002HGUQYK

Most consoles and power supplies are double insulated and do not require earthing but it is good to screw in the ground point.

Arren

Hello everyone, I'm a newcomer here even though a long-time Nintendo enthusiast, who finally acquired an equally long-sought Famicom (AV-modded). :)

As my very first post here, I'd like to ask some advice on the right way to supply power to the console, as I'm having some unexpected issues on this regard.

I live in Europe, Italy. I tried to use a 'Universal switching' PSU with the following characteristics:

Input: 100 / 230V AC
Output (switchable): 3,0 / 4,5 / 5,0 / 6,0 / 7,5 / 9,0 / 12V DC (I set it to 9V, with the polarity configured on + C -)

Now, the problem is that using this power supply results in a distorted and rolling / blinking black and white picture, with some slight buzzing audio as well. I immediately switched the system off and I really, really hope not to have damaged anything.

I'm fairly certain that my TV supports 60hz through composite, as it's one of the latest Sony CRT panels manufactured here and every other NTSC console I've tested through composite played magnificently on it. So, I'm excluding it's a video-related problem.

Is this PSU inappropriate? And also, is it risky to make further attempts with it? I also have to remark that the plug itself on the adapter doesn't completely fit the Famicom socket, could this be a reason of concern?

Thanks in advance for any help!

famifan

Quote from: Arren on December 21, 2012, 04:23:20 am
Now, the problem is that using this power supply results in a distorted and rolling / blinking black and white picture, with some slight buzzing audio as well.

your PSU is weak and can't provide enough power for famicom.

Arren

Thanks for the prompt answer! Now, one thing I forgot to state is that the PSU is rated at 1000mA. I thought that was enough?

famifan

December 21, 2012, 05:47:37 am #94 Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 05:53:35 am by famifan
1А for what output voltage?

true real 9V 1A is enough

Post Merge: December 21, 2012, 05:53:35 am

Quote from: Arren on December 21, 2012, 04:35:53 am

Thanks for the prompt answer! Now, one thing I forgot to state is that the PSU is rated at 1000mA. I thought that was enough?

the failure reason is the voltage drop on high load, such as 1A. If the voltage goes below 7V you get noise in picture and sound

try to check output voltage on such high load

Arren

December 21, 2012, 12:38:25 pm #95 Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:32:33 pm by Arren
I'm still getting a distorted and rolling b&w picture, after using both a more efficient PSU and a stepdown converter with the original famicom PSU. Further research seems to point to the fact that it's actually a video-related problem. I can hear the sound perfectly fine, but the video gives a distorted and rolling picture. :(

As far as I can gather from the documentation on the matter, it seems the video is losing sync with my (PAL) TV. Are there any easy solutions to this mess?

ericj

Can you force your TV into NTSC mode? Who AV modded your Famicom? I'd open it and check that it doesn't have the Makko PAL board.

Arren

Actually my TV doesn't have a 'NTSC mode', but it should accept NTSC signals perfectly fine, as I tested a Super Famicom with a composite lead immediately after trying this Famicom and the result was a crystal clear image.

I don't know who modded my console, I bought it off a fairly reputable vendor on eBay.

bolsas

Hi everyone,

I live in Europe/UK and recently got a Super Famicom and Japanese N64. Now what i need to know is what type of adapter i should use for the two consoles?

I read the 1st post and still kinda confused... suppose for Super Famicom i can use this or this

if not, what about this ones?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Psu-Ac-Adaptor-4-Pc-engine-Famicom-Megadrive-Console-/190501243465?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item2c5ac24a49

And what about the N64, can i just plugin a PAL adapter?

Hope you can help, thank you :)

Rosser

December 22, 2012, 06:48:57 am #99 Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 07:00:08 am by Rosser
Super Famicom will work with Mega Drive 1 adapter only Mega Drive 2 has reverse polarity and the plug is smaller

For N64 your either going to need a 220-240 Ac Adapter or step downlike this

Edit:check your AC adapter on the N64 it may be dual voltage 100-240 if so you're good I know some 3rd party ones are but I can remember about official ones

P

Quote from: bolsas on December 21, 2012, 03:52:03 pm
And what about the N64, can i just plugin a PAL adapter?

Yeah if you have a PAL N64 already you can just use that adapter. It should have 220-240v input and 12v output.
I use my PAL N64's adapter for my Japanese N64.

MarioMania

I been using my TurboGrafx-16 PSU with my NES and the Genesis, No Problem

Lupin the Third

February 23, 2013, 06:57:49 pm #102 Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:25:30 pm by Lupin the Third
nvm; will place in a more appropriate thread to reduce redundancy

Terpor

Can i use european Atari Jaguar power supply on Super Famicom?

Details
AC/DC Adaptor
Input 240 50hz
Output 9v 1.2A 10.8VA

That Guy

P

It seems fine so far, but it needs to be center negative as well. Check the power adapter's label.