Famicom AC-Adapter and General Power F.A.Q.

Started by Xious, November 18, 2011, 06:54:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

s0r00t

I managed to grab a Famicom for 65€, but the owner (who got it from another collector) never turned it on.

However, the AC adapter he gave me isn't compatible with the Famicom.... It outputs 12V and is Center-Pin Positive.

Fortunately I did not plug it yet, but I am unsure whether the previous owner (before the reseller) turned it on with that adapter...

I am planning to get a new working adapter, but I have no idea if the current one made any damages to the console.

Should I consider it fried? If so, is it repairable?

Thanks for your help.

P

The only way to know is to try. Don't sell the skin till you have caught the bear. If it's fried it may be repairable.

kabamaru

Quote from: Xious on November 18, 2011, 06:54:54 pm
Ampere Notes: The FC will draw upon demand, so you can pretty much go as high as you need. You need to worry about covering the minimum rating here, and I suggest an 800mA minimum if you plan to use games with lots of extra memory or if you plan to use external controllers, etc. I would not try to use the 3D glasses, for example, without the full 850mA. Using less won't damage your hardware, but it may damage your PSU.  Others may suggest more or less, but much more will cause the system to overheat, as will be explained below.

Is this a typo? I don't think more amperage from the PSU will cause the console to overheat. The console will draw as much as it needs.

HokusaiXL

The voltage regulation in the Famicom is still linear, so the more amps you push through it, the more power it has to convert to heat to dissipate back down to 5 volts.
I don't know how to fox. D:

kabamaru

Quote from: HokusaiXL on January 23, 2018, 01:54:28 am
The voltage regulation in the Famicom is still linear, so the more amps you push through it, the more power it has to convert to heat to dissipate back down to 5 volts.

Thank you for the explanation. I didn't even know about linear/switching regulators, now I do :)

Koop

I've recently gotten an Super Famicom JR. Would a US Genesis Model 1 AC adapter work with it just fine? It's RGB modded so I don't wanna blow the thing up day one.  ;D

HokusaiXL

That'd absolutely be fine, I use one on mine all the time and it's worked for years.

Jes8277

I just bought a famicom and it has the original power supply the person I bought it from I. eBay said it is fine to use in the USA. I'm not to sure about this. If not what can I use to make sure it is safe to use and I won't have any problems.

HokusaiXL

It' a linear supply that puts out about 10% of what it's plugged into.  So if it says 10 volts on the brick, on us outlets it's going to be providing around 11-12.  I've used mine for years without a single issue.

JohnnyPhantom

April 19, 2018, 06:56:19 am #234 Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 07:12:39 am by JohnnyPhantom
I like this idea,
http://www.retrogamecave.com/shop/4577155957/duo-fd-power-supply-(famicom-diskdrive)/11232505

I purchased one from them years ago for my Sega Genesis with the CD and 32X add on, made 3 wall warts into 1. So it's pretty neat to see the same thing for the Famicom and Disk drive, but $40+ shipped isn't super appealing :/ anyone know of anything similar but cheaper? For now I'll be using my Genesis 10V adapter (model 1602-1) and some batteries for the Disk Drive until I find a cheaper solution or just break down and pay for the linked one.

~John

Post Merge: April 19, 2018, 07:12:39 am

Hmmm,
A2:The specific and original AC Adapter for the Famicom and the Super Famicom has the following specifications:
Input: 100VAC 50-60Hz
Output: 10VDC 850mA
Polarity: Centre Pin Negative
(+)------------(o------------(-)
Barrel Size: Outer Diameter 5.5mm; Inner Diameter 2.1mm

The Famicom Disk System AC-Adapter has the following specifications:
Input: 100VAC 50-60Hz
Output: 9VDC 400mA
Polarity: Centre Pin Negative
(+)------------(o------------(-)
Barrel Size: Outer Diameter 5.5mm; Inner Diameter 2.0mm*

Assuming i can use 10V on the Disk system safely (or 9V on the Famicom safely if I switch to a 9V Genesis 1 adapter), I could just get a barrel splitter and use the 1 power cord on both? pretty much making my own power cord from the previous post. Any one see any potential issues? Looks like the same polarity on both systems, same-ish barrel size (0.1mm off)  and a combined amp requirement of 1.25A so the 1.2A of the Gen 1 adapter should just cover it.

thoughts?

I got the idea from here: https://jonthysell.com/2016/03/19/consolidating-the-sega-genesis-sega-cd-and-sega-32x-power-supplies/ and could use a splitter like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/192499539906

HokusaiXL

You'd need enough amps to handle the draw of the famicom, the disk system ram adapter, and the disk system itself when seeking.

ZenkaiWally

hi, I'm new here and i recently bought an av modded famicom, the thing is that it becomes really hot... i use this ac adapter, it's a HORI AH-7 for famicom an super famicom https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/sQ8AAOSwopRYfv~l/s-l300.jpg what can i do to reduce the heat? (the famicom works really well and i don't want to burn it) :question:

P

What becomes hot? The Famicom or the AC-adapter?

If it's the adapter I suspect it's faulty and you need a new one.
If it's the Famicom something might be wrong with the voltage regulator. Make sure it's screwed to the heat sink properly.

ZenkaiWally

August 15, 2018, 05:57:15 pm #238 Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:45:05 pm by ZenkaiWally
it's the back side of the famicom, the heat sink appears to be perfect and the ac adapter works fine and i have other one that might work AC 120 , 60HZ output DC9V-980mA  polarity (-)-----(o-----(+)  :help:

Post Merge: August 15, 2018, 06:45:05 pm

does the sega genesis 1 ac adapter works?

snibbermekimbers

Hey, just curious if this one is safe for an AV Famicom. Thanks!