Famicom AC-Adapter and General Power F.A.Q.

Started by Xious, November 18, 2011, 06:54:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

P

10V DC output and center negative, yes it should be safe for Famicom and AV Famicom. It must be used in a country with 110 V coming from the wall socket.

snibbermekimbers

Thanks P, not gonna risk it so getting a sega model 1. Thanks tho!

pxlbluejay

I have a famicom which is still untested. Well, I don't think I can use the original adapter that came with it because i am in 220v territory, and i found another adapter. however, the voltage is 12 volts with the amperage of 1500mA. Is this way to high to be used with a famicom? It did fit perfectly... :help:
Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda. The NES and the Famicom themselves. These are well known after more than 30 years after their releases. I highly doubt that Fortnite, PUBG, or any other modern-day game will be as well known in 2050.

Pikkon

Higher amps are fine but you need to make sure the psu is outer positive and center negative or you could damage your famicom.

If you want to be safe a mega drive model 1 ac adapter will work just fine.

FAMICOM_87

12v is fine ,but 9V is better to reduce the heat. :fire:
About the amps, everything above 850mA is ok (for example 1.5A, 1A, 2A and so on)
the critical think is that the center pin have to be negative , and of course the power have to be DC!

pxlbluejay

July 24, 2019, 05:37:22 pm #245 Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:40:18 pm by pxlbluejay
i thought it had to be ac...
that's what it says on the original one.
Anyways, if the center pin is negative and it's either ac or dc(the correct one), it should be fine to test it to see if it works?
Edit: My bad-It's DC...

Post Merge: July 24, 2019, 07:40:18 pm

Okay, the adapter doesn't tell me whether it's center pole negative NEITHER does it tell me that it's DC. It just says that its output voltage and amperage is 12V and 1500mA, respectively. It does say 'Household Electronics Adapter'
Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda. The NES and the Famicom themselves. These are well known after more than 30 years after their releases. I highly doubt that Fortnite, PUBG, or any other modern-day game will be as well known in 2050.

P

You must be sure of DC output and polarity before you test it or you'll blow it.
It doesn't say 12 V DC at output? Or it might say AC-DC somewhere (meaning it converts AC to DC)? It may also have a DC mark at the output, it looks like this: ⎓​
For polarity there usually is a marking that looks something like this:

+ ---- C ---- -

This means the center part is negative and the outer barrel is positive. Center positive are more common though so don't take any chances.

I think 12 V is technically within the tolerance of the voltage regulator, but as people have said in the past it might not be within the tolerance of the Famicom design (it might not be designed to handle the extra heat). I say look for another adapter that you are sure has the correct specs.

FAMICOM_87

get multi-meter and measure the polarity to be sure and safe :D

pxlbluejay

Pikkon

Most likely your ac adapter is standard with outer negative and center positive.

I already said a safe one to use or you could grab one of these as well.
https://en.retrogamesupply.com/collections/nintendo/products/power-supply-for-nintendo-famicom

pxlbluejay

Nah, I think I'll juat wait till I'm back in the US in about a month and I'll test it there since I have a 2 in 1 adapter for the fc and the sfc...

Daggerthorn

I apologize if this question was already asked, but I just got a Famicom AV.
Can I use my regular Fami AC adapter for it? It came with its own but I have a universal one which supports the plugs of where I live (UAE, we use 240v).
Thank you in advance.

ntwrk506

Does anyone know what the difference is between these? They have different serial numbers and slightly different informational layouts, but what's the significance of that?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OOyptMzG4_jMxFibfG2taz1V1VB8EHyI/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wTRq_vf5dzPgErbH9XJbwYBfkEzaB3Vh/view?usp=sharing

Did they both officially come with the console?

P

The only thing that changed with the mold seems to be the postal code of the (factory?) address. 38256 on the first one and 28650 on the second one. Both looks like both adapters are just two versions of the stock HVC-002 AC-adapter to me, since the model number is there and all.

ntwrk506

Oh but aren't postal codes in Japan meant to follow a XXX-XXXX (three and then four digits) format?  These are XX-XXXXX (two and then five).  I also wonder what the timeline is of when they switched molds.