Super Mario Bros. The Movie - The Videogame

Started by NintendoKing, November 17, 2011, 08:43:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NintendoKing

I have been considering for awhile now, to sprite hack original SMB to resemble the characters how they appeared in Super Mario Bros The Movie. Also changing the title to "Super Koopa Cousins." plus the copyright to 1993.

UglyJoe

Could be interesting.  Would have to make the Mushroom Kingdom look much darker to match the dystopian WTF that the movie had going on.

NintendoKing

True, it will probably be quite some time before it gets completed as I will have to custom draw the sprites.

petik1

God, I haven't watched that movie in about 10 years.

manuel

Nice idea!
I'd want a repro cart of that game!  :gamer:

jpx72

Wow that movie is one of the "Must watch" for the true gamer. Anyone else should avoid :crazy:
Anyway nice idea, some weapon on player sprite instead of just shooting fireballs will probably be more similar to the movie. Or did the movie-mario shoot fireballs? I don't remember, haven't seen that movie in quite some time!

Xious

November 17, 2011, 11:01:03 pm #6 Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:51:22 pm by Xious
Mario (Hoskins) had a flame-thrower at one point.

As to making a game out of it, the player sprites should resemble the characters portrayed by Fisher Stevens and Richard Edson, as thy are the ones who brokered a deal with the nameless video game guys.

I actually enjoy this film, but I didn't walk-in expecting something based purely around a video game. If you want that, you should watch the 1985 anime film, which was never released outside Nippon, for some unknown reason.  

What ever happened with your SMB2 NROM project? I sent you a P.M. about it, but received no reply, and the thread for it vanished. :bomb:

Jedi Master Baiter

Someone turned Montana Max into President Koopa in this Mario Adventures hack. :-\

Xious

Samantha Mathis is such a doll, and especially in that film (with the amethyst dress). I really wish she did more work that I would watch, but she is mostly in TV serials or films that don't draw my interest.  :bomb:

satoshi_matrix

NintendoKing

I agree, but assistance will definitely be required as title screen hacking is beyond my skill, I can level edit, hex edit and sprite edit but thats all. I have not uncovered how to modify title screens or music as of yet.

Xious

The title screen is just a tile set. You would need to locate all of the tiles and design a new screen using them for an easy patch. Designing a custom screen with an attract mode will require ASM modification.  :bomb:

satoshi_matrix

I suggest asking for some  :help: over at romhacking.net. There are some true wizards of rom hacking there.

klax

Quote from: satoshi_matrix on November 23, 2011, 01:55:17 pm
I suggest asking for some  :help: over at romhacking.net. There are some true wizards of rom hacking there.

Yeah, I tried that out to. They promtley got back to me!