NESpander Dev & FC<-->NES Adapters

Started by Xious, December 12, 2011, 08:10:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Xious

I know that I've procrastinated to death, but I am just about ready to do a very small run of the 'NESpander Dev', for those still interested. You can view some of the progression here. (Model Rev 0.9G is the latest.)

You'll also see models of the NES<-->FC adapters that I'm designing there. I will be doing that run soon as well, if all goes according to plan.

The beautiful part is that I have designed them to work together. That, and with the NESpander, you will not need to modify a toaster NES for either FC/FDS, or for the PowerPak (extra sound).

If you note the little Audio jumper blocks, you will be able to set the sound configuration (or add a switch for it) and select the type easily. I will also be adding something similar to the adapters, rather than having a singular type of 'extra sound' built onto them. (Alternatively, I may have the NESpander as a requirement for extra audio on the NES adapter, but I will include the PowerPak audio configuration on the Famicom adapter, for those of us using the PP on a FC.)

You will also be able to manually jumper the extra sound to any desired EXP pin, by removing one jumper block and substituting a jumper cable between on of its positions and one of the EXP pins on the EXP settings block. I have tried to ensure that this is configurable and expandable, for future development, including for custom accessories that you or others may wish to design for it.

Please remember that I used the closest possible 3D model components, and as I don't want to absorb my time making 3D models rather than doing actual work, they might look a bit odd. Still, everything seems to check out, so i will do a prototype run and if they works, I will do a limited production ASAP.

Let me know which you'd be iterested in buying from:
NESpander Dev
Famicm (60f) to NES (72m) Adapter
NES (72f) to Famicom (60m) Adapter
FC/NES Internal Game Converter (fits inside NES game cases)

I will be producing at least the top three, as time permits. I will not be taking any pre-orders, unless they are in massive volume.  :bomb:

punkpolitical

December 12, 2011, 12:49:53 pm #1 Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:55:19 pm by punkpolitical
Hey Xious! I'm interested in the NESpander.  When you get the prototypes in I'm willing to buy one. :)
Post when you get them in. ;D ;D ;D

UglyJoe

Does the "FC Expansion" port on the board allow for using FC accessories with the NES, or is it an interface for the board to the FC?  Or are both of my guesses incorrect?

jpx72

(If you won't charge too much) I'll be really interested in the NESpander!

BasiliskFang

Xious

Quote from: UglyJoe on December 12, 2011, 01:07:22 pm
Does the "FC Expansion" port on the board allow for using FC accessories with the NES, or is it an interface for the board to the FC?  Or are both of my guesses incorrect?

It is intended to be identical to the Famicom EXP accessory port, and will indeed be the same connector. In theory, the NESpander could be used to network multiple NES/FC systems but this would require additional software and some extra hardware, depending on how you wanted to do it and what you wanted to do with it, etc..

It is unlikely that I ill sell a prototype of it, especially as it would increase the cost. I plan to make a very small prototype run, just to check everything, and ensure that it is ready for general production.

Production models will probably be available with and without all the jumper blocks, as those only interested in general audio use can buy them without (at a slightly lower price) and later they may add them easily enough. I may offer a PCB-only option, for the very thrifty or adventurous, as I o with the RetroVideo.

I would not expect a complete unit to cost less than US$50 though, unless I can simplify modifying the connectors, or reduce my costs for mass-producing a glove-fit part. if I end up with a magical extra giant pile of quid, then I'll complete the moulding process (which I did start) on those, but as it sands, the demand is far too low for a dev product (which is what this is); if people want to develop some new devices to make it special, such as sound HW or Ethernet, etc., then I would be willing to go nits on production, as it would be more than a developer tool and an expansion audio tool.

I think that, given the ease and simplicity of using one, most people would opt for this to go with their PowerPak, and of course, I'd sell the adapter board for it as a kit. I am also thinking of doing something else that is rather absurd, and would have a limited market. I may make one or two of that idea, just as a proof of concept, and see if there is any real demand.

I do still need shells though, and I really want to avoid sacrificing golf and other sports games for them, not to mention the work involved in removing the labels. I received e-mail from two companies in China about this, and after sending them the details on what I want, i have not heard back. One of the companies that contacted me was not one that I had solicited, so either someone I know had them contact me, or they contacted me because I sent mail to other firms with whom they are partnered.

There must be at least one firm out there who will do injection moulding without an absurd tooling and set-up cost, made from existing pieces as casts, or from renderings and metrics. I merely have yet to discover one.  :bomb:

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: Xious on December 12, 2011, 08:10:11 am
I will be producing at least the top three, as time permits. I will not be taking any pre-orders, unless they are in massive volume.  :bomb:

Splendid! I will buy thirty pounds worth! Let me know if you do go along with making those internal converters.

L___E___T

Hi, I don't understand all of this, but I'd definitely order a bunch depending on cost.  Ideally I'd like to grab 12.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。