Something You Learned Today

Started by Jedi Master Baiter, February 08, 2012, 12:08:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

maxellnormalbias

I learned that my old posts on here were a bit more transparently immature than I remember them.

I also learned that, growing up, there's no need to have a reservation about liking something weird. Like video games, old video games, old foreign video games...

When I signed up to this forum, I was literally eleven. I'll be seventeen by the end of this year, and despite losing interest in owning the official hardware (as schoolwork goes up, free time goes down, and emulation just seems that much more enticing,) I still have a deep sentimental connection to the old video games that I played through. But back then, I always thought people would judge me? I always tried to justify it - "oh, I can afford way more games this way," "oh, emulation has glitches and it's hard to configure," "oh, yeah, I'm weird and I'm a bad person for being weird."

But as much as I anticipated people would judge me, nobody actually did. I had a conversation with my school guidance counsellor last month - he offhandedly mentioned retro video games as one of his hobbies. We immediately shot into a conversation about Nintendo and old import games, and this coming Monday, there's going to be a video game night at my school with a few students. :)

Another thing I learned was that, out of every community that I've been in, video game communities - specifically Nintendo ones, etc - have been the most respectful and understanding. FW is a great example, but I was kind of a hyperactive child the last time I was on here. I was just on a Nintendo Switch discord and posted something that would usually get a response in the form of some kind of greentext as to why I'm not doing it right and I'm some kind of laughing stock. But instead I got helped by somebody!

Spoiler
For anyone interested, I was disassembling the code that runs on the little microcontroller in the Switch's TV dock. I used arm-elf-objdump to list the functions inside the compiled program. This was my first time doing that kind of thing, so I didn't know about anything like the reset vector (the actual point in the file where the code starts), thumb mode (16 bit instruction mode for ARM processors), or any of the necessary information to get me anywhere other than garbage data. But someone who probably had better things to do helped me out and explained some very advanced stuff. I later found out the person who helped me had given talks at a bunch of defcon-esque conferences about the Switch. Amazing how someone in that position can take the time out of their day to help some rando like me.
[close]

UglyJoe

I've never really shied away from my retro-gaming fandom, but I'm also twice your age so that probably makes a difference ;D

Now anime fandom, that's something I tend to keep to myself.

That's cool that you got some advanced help with the Switch hacking.  My experience with technical forums, as both someone who asks for help and also gives help, is that if you prove you are capable of learning and have made a good-faith effort to figure things out yourself, you will often receive help.

maxellnormalbias

Anime fandom is pretty mainstream now. There was probably a period in my life where I'd be more likely to say that I watched Evangelion than to talk about my fami collection.

MaxXimus

Quote from: UglyJoe on January 02, 2019, 04:57:40 pm
I've never really shied away from my retro-gaming fandom, but I'm also twice your age so that probably makes a difference ;D

Now anime fandom, that's something I tend to keep to myself.

That's cool that you got some advanced help with the Switch hacking.  My experience with technical forums, as both someone who asks for help and also gives help, is that if you prove you are capable of learning and have made a good-faith effort to figure things out yourself, you will often receive help.

I never hid the fact that I like Watching Dragon Ball and such haha.

I also really liked Elfen Leid and Gungrave. Some really messed up stuff there.

UglyJoe

I learned that if you create a Japanese Nintendo account, you can add it to the US switch and download the Family Computer app from the Japanese store.  So now my Switch Online account gets me NES games *and* Famicom games ;D

P

Yeah that's what I've been trying to say! You can only play them with an account that is subscribing to the online service, but you can download both apps for free without subscribing from their respective eShop. Both are then playable from the same account as long as it subscribes.

Notice that the Famicom app gets the FDS versions of games and in the case of Lolo it's a completely different title from the NES app's Lolo. The Famicom app gets Japanese Lolo 2 as there is no Japanese Lolo 1.

L___E___T

I read that Nintendo may close this loop hole at some point so I was quick to grab both back when it was discovered.  Now if only they sold the Famicom controllers in the west to replace my NES ones!
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

UglyJoe

Quote from: P on January 15, 2019, 08:11:05 am
Notice that the Famicom app gets the FDS versions of games and in the case of Lolo it's a completely different title from the NES app's Lolo. The Famicom app gets Japanese Lolo 2 as there is no Japanese Lolo 1.

I read that the next batch of games includes Joy Mecha Fight -- but only for Japan region.  That's why I decided to finally set it up.

Quote from: L___E___T on January 15, 2019, 08:24:45 am
Now if only they sold the Famicom controllers in the west to replace my NES ones!

Seriously.  I checked for the FC controllers on eBay but the markup there is insane.  I haven't bit the bullet on the NES controllers yet ($60!), but a co-worker has them and says they're awesome, so I'm getting more tempted to do so.

P

Yeah I usually grab everything free in the eShop as soon as possible in case I'll need it later.

Nintendo says the controllers are not a limited offer so hopefully one can wait for prices to cool down a bit.

BTW the loophole is just that Switch games are region-free and Nintendo doesn't disallow access to eShops of multiple regions using multiple accounts. It's the same on Playstation 4.
But yeah there is no telling when they change their mind and stop allowing it.

Jedi Master Baiter

I just found out about this release: https://www.amazon.com/Zillion-Complete-Blu-ray-Kazuhiko-Inoue/dp/B07FPYV36Z

Anybody a Zillion fan? All I know is what I've seen from the Sega Master System games, and I love the main themes (Pure Stone / Push!) I'd like to give this series a watch.

UglyJoe

L___E___T

One of my friends became Mayor of his city!

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

How cool! Does he go and beat up troublesome gangs as well? :)

Jedi Master Baiter

I learned it's common to have recurring dreams about being back in college and not realizing you were registered for a class the entire semester only for you to have to take the final exam that day! :o Thought I was alone in this. Very weird. ???

security16

I learned today that amtech flux is magical and that jolly ranchers taste nasty. Blue raspberry ones taste like urinal cakes