Original RF Famicom vs. AV Famicom

Started by treismac, February 12, 2012, 04:57:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

treismac

What are the pros and cons of the original Famicom and the AV Famicom?  I know the original Famicom had its controller's hardwired and it was limited to RF hookup.  Does the original Famicom have inferior picture and sound quality compared to the AV?  Is one of them functionally more reliable than the other?

Thanks! :)

lobdale

AV Famicom is superior in every way except looks and the player two controller microphone (it does not have one).  Better/clearer audio-visual output, no need to mod in AV cables, NES controller ports with detachable dogbones on the front, still has the original EXT controller port on the side, runs several pirates that the original won't run without corruption, overall less finicky and more reliable since it's generally new hardware.

But the original Famicom just looks cooler.

treismac

Quote from: lobdale on February 12, 2012, 05:46:19 pmBut the original Famicom just looks cooler.

:-[  That is a big "but,," isn't it?  Too damn bad Nintendo didn't release an AV Famicom in the original model's design.

chazbc24

A/V famicom doesn't mix external audio chips correctly. Its barely noticeable for most people, but the music is the reason i play famicom.

lobdale

What is incorrect about it? I can't tell a difference between Gimmick on either system.

nusilver

Quote from: lobdale on February 13, 2012, 03:57:55 pm
What is incorrect about it? I can't tell a difference between Gimmick on either system.

Yes, please do tell!

2A03

Quote from: lobdale on February 13, 2012, 03:57:55 pm

External audio on the AV Fami tends to be a little more quiet compared to the original Famicom.

petik1

Couldn't replacing a resistor fix that?

Drakon

Quote from: petik1 on February 13, 2012, 05:00:38 pm
Couldn't replacing a resistor fix that?

How about turning up the volume?  ;D

fredJ

The original famicom also is louder than the Twin Fami.
I think it is must be that the original famicom mixed the sound channels incorrectly somehow and they fixed it later. But I can't tell in which way it supposedly improved.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com