My Favorite Gaming Store is closing. Worst news ever.

Started by senseiman, March 05, 2012, 02:23:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

senseiman

Yeah, it is kind of surreal.  Even in Japan most shops don`t sell them for that cheap normally.  I was really lucky to have that place close by for so long ;D

Jedi Master Baiter

You got a Gimmick! for 100 yen?! :o

I won't be able to sleep... ever again.

senseiman

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on March 05, 2012, 11:54:14 pm
You got a Gimmick! for 100 yen?! :o

I won't be able to sleep... ever again.

Yup. CIB at that.  I actually paid more than that for my copy of F1 Race.  Bargain of a lifetime.

NintendoKing

In conclusion, you are what killed Omocha Souko!
I am sure it was everyone taking advantage of the Mega low prices.

senseiman

Quote from: The Uninvited Gremlin on March 06, 2012, 03:51:00 am

Could be, but if I hadn`t bought the stuff somebody else would have! ;D

What is really odd is to think that if they were selling them so cheaply, how much were they buying them for?

Nightstar699

Quote from: 80sFREAK on March 06, 2012, 06:02:33 am
It's time to "pick the stones"

This. Sensei, if they happened to have a copy of Choujin Sentai Jetman for the Famicom, feel free to hook me up.  ;D  :gamer:
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

cobracon

So do you have any other shops in mind once this one closes? Or is it just to early on in the break up ::)

manuel

Quote from: senseiman on March 06, 2012, 05:20:42 am
Quote from: The Uninvited Gremlin on March 06, 2012, 03:51:00 am

Could be, but if I hadn`t bought the stuff somebody else would have! ;D

What is really odd is to think that if they were selling them so cheaply, how much were they buying them for?

Usually 100 Yen items are bought for 5 or 10 Yen or "it doesn't have any value for us, but we'll take it for free". :/

senseiman

Yes, that is what I figured.  When I was moving 7 years ago we took a bunch of stuff to one of those stores and I think they gave us 10-20 yen each for most of the stuff (books, CDs, DVDs, etc) we had. 

We were glad to get it actually, all we wanted to do was get rid of the stuff!

Jamtex

Quote from: senseiman on March 05, 2012, 02:23:24 am
I discovered something terrible this morning.  Omocha Souko, the retro game/toy store just up the block from my place, will be closing at the end of this month. ... I`ve gotten some of the most amazing deals there (CIB Gimmick for 100 yen, Twin Famicom for 300, etc etc)

Wonder why they are closing down...

manuel

Can have several reasons. But basically because senseiman ripped them off hard.  :P

Maybe their prices were just too low to sustain business. Usually it's buy low sell high, but they seemed to buy low and sell low. That usually doesn't work so well.

MarioMania

Maybe that why..

Were they selling anything for profit?

Yelir

Sorry to hear your videogame pals are closing shop. Your blog is the one link I have in my bookmarks that I always check, sometimes in hope that you'd post more than one article a day. :gamer:

senseiman

About why the shop closed, the prices probably hurt them a bit, though that buy low/sell low strategy can work if you get enough product through the doors. 

Another factor was probably that they opened up in October of 2008, almost exactly at the time the Lehman shock hit and the Japanese economy started to tank.

I`m going to do a post about this on my blog sometime in the next week or so.  Its an interesting thing to think about.

Quote from: Yelir on March 07, 2012, 10:47:16 pm
Sorry to hear your videogame pals are closing shop. Your blog is the one link I have in my bookmarks that I always check, sometimes in hope that you'd post more than one article a day. :gamer:

Thanks!!   ;D   I wish I had the time to update the blog more often! 

manuel