anyone collecting japanese game boy games?

Started by fredJ, March 13, 2012, 05:54:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fredJ

Yes it wasn't so expensive a few years ago. And I prefer to wait until it gets cheaper, if it ever does...

Incidentally I picked up a loose cart of Noobow today, in a lot that should pay for itself. ( that's what I have to do ..)

What other timeless games do you have?

GBA is superior in many ways... but it doesn't have those simple charming games...
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

QUIMDUNG

April 07, 2012, 01:38:30 pm #46 Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 02:50:04 pm by QUIMDUNG
Quote from: fredJ on April 07, 2012, 12:30:13 pm
GBA is superior in many ways... but it doesn't have those simple charming games...

i prefer game boy mono myself. i believe it takes a great deal of powerful ideas to present compelling games with such limitations.

i also respect every human's idea :) and gba is good.

someone gotta get this rare release!!! LOLOL
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Worms-Nintendo-Gameboy-GB-Australian-Release-Rare-VGC-/130661334820?pt=AU_PC_Video_Games_Games&hash=item1e6c05bf24

edit: does anyone else have the sickness.. of buying gameboy games non stop.. off the internet? i just cant help myself!! theyre too delicious!!

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=sunderfury its me!!

fredJ

I only buy them in lots, but if you have money ( I don't) then I think you should buy them from me.  :D

Currently I am playing my games. Beat GB Genjin yesterday (boring.. where's the gameplay? )  and today the Japanese version of Maru's Mission, "Oira Jajamaru! Sekai Daibouken". They renamed him Maru for the US and gave it an embarassing game cover.

QUIMDUNG

Quote from: fredJ on April 08, 2012, 12:55:26 pm
Currently I am playing my games. Beat GB Genjin yesterday (boring.. where's the gameplay? )  and today the Japanese version of Maru's Mission, "Oira Jajamaru! Sekai Daibouken". They renamed him Maru for the US and gave it an embarassing game cover.

i was playing gb genjin yesterday! i'm a huge fan of the games on tg-16 (had a tg-16 and bonk1+2 as a kid), but yeah, the gb one doesn't seem as thrilling. it really needs those bright colors.

also, i'm just plain TIRED AS HELL of platformers. i still buy them constantly for GB, but i'm just sick of that perspective. i think that's one of my big criteria for whether i'll try out an unknown game or not: if it's overhead or puzzle-y, i want it, if it's platformer, unless it's gonna be really interesting, forget it.

nintendodork

Japanese Game Boy games are cool! I like how small the boxes are. I only have two as of right now, but I think it'd be cool to get some more Japanese-exclusive games that don't require much reading, as I'm sure there are a lot of them.

I currently own Crayon Shin-Chan 4 and Pokemon Green (both CIB). Shin Chan was a really fun platforming game, and I just recently got back into Green. I've got 5 badges and my entire party is level 40, and I can't read a lick of Japanese. ;D 

...My only trouble is that my bag gets full a lot, so I find myself constantly on Bulbapedia looking at the Japanese names of items to see what I need to keep in my bag and what I can store in my PC. It's hard for some items that aren't key items since they're not usually listed in Japanese, so I still don't know what some of the stuff in my bag is...  :-\
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Parodius Duh

Quote from: Parodius Duh on April 06, 2012, 10:05:30 pm
Fredj what are the games in your post above?

Im looking for suggestions of games not released in the US.

Fredj - What are the games in those pics you posted? thanks

fredJ

american oudan ultra-quiz
heiankyo alien
mercenary force
zelda
kirby
batman
wizardry
kid dracula
snoopy magic show

QUIMDUNG

Quote from: fredJ on April 08, 2012, 04:18:03 pm
mercenary force

did you play the 2nd mercenary force? such beautiful artwork

edit: i just bought 2x USA heiankyo alien, 1x usa batman, and am LOVING playing snoopy magic show. the JP release has 2p link, US seems to omit it (at least cart&box do)

fredJ

I seem to have that game, 2nd mercenary force, NIB. But it's a RPG anyways...

Quote from: nintendodork on April 08, 2012, 03:24:56 pm
I currently own Crayon Shin-Chan 4 and Pokemon Green (both CIB). Shin Chan was a really fun platforming game, and I just recently got back into Green. I've got 5 badges and my entire party is level 40, and I can't read a lick of Japanese. ;D 

...My only trouble is that my bag gets full a lot, so I find myself constantly on Bulbapedia looking at the Japanese names of items to see what I need to keep in my bag and what I can store in my PC. It's hard for some items that aren't key items since they're not usually listed in Japanese, so I still don't know what some of the stuff in my bag is...  :-\

That's interesting , people buy those pokemon games from me but I don't know whether they can play them. I can let them know it is possible...
I haven't gotten into RPGs myself, not even Zelda... it takes too long.. I did beat Sword of Hope when I was a kid though, took me forever.

Why they always buy Green? Green and Red were the twin games in Japan, but they had so many problems that they re-did it into the Blue version in Japan. Blue is the least common of the three.

QUIMDUNG

Quote from: fredJ on April 09, 2012, 03:40:28 am
I seem to have that game, 2nd mercenary force, NIB. But it's a RPG anyways...

weird. i know people love the 1st, so i was interested in the 2nd. but makes sense from the box art that it was converted to RPG style i guess.

Quote from: fredJ on April 09, 2012, 03:40:28 am
That's interesting , people buy those pokemon games from me but I don't know whether they can play them. I can let them know it is possible...
I haven't gotten into RPGs myself, not even Zelda... it takes too long.. I did beat Sword of Hope when I was a kid though, took me forever.

i generally cant stand RPG (too boring to read the text). i did just buy all 4 FF GB (US) games, there's something interesting about pocket sized RPG.

sword of hope by kemco? i just received that.. i can't figure it out at all !!! seems kuso haha

Quote from: fredJ on April 09, 2012, 03:40:28 amWhy they always buy Green? Green and Red were the twin games in Japan, but they had so many problems that they re-did it into the Blue version in Japan. Blue is the least common of the three.

blue and red came out in USA, green never came out in USA. that's why.

Cheetahmen

Quote from: QUIMDUNG on April 09, 2012, 05:18:22 am
blue and red came out in USA, green never came out in USA. that's why.
If I remember correctly, Blue is a revised version of Green.
Life is too short to be little.
Twitter | DeviantArt | Youtube | Twitch

fredJ

April 09, 2012, 07:50:17 am #56 Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:07:40 am by fredJ
why can't you figure out sword of hope? you level up, talk to the trees to get clue where treant is, defeat treant, get the key to go east...
I tried to play it recently, but forgot that if you fail stupid fairy questions, you need to go back to your last password because you can't move forward.

I actually have the Japan only Selection I + II, CIB. It's uncommon. I tried to sell it once, it but am now happy I have it.  :D

QUIMDUNG

Quote from: fredJ on April 09, 2012, 07:50:17 am
why can't you figure out sword of hope?

cus it seems like unplayable kuso game :P is it actually worth my time? i tried it for about 5 minutes and lost interest.

L___E___T

Quote from: stealthlurker on April 07, 2012, 11:45:30 am

Well here's the "crown jewel" of my boxed JPN gameboy collection so far:

Spoiler

[close]

I really want a CIB Trip World - what am I REALISTICALLY looking at?

Lately I've been playing Gremlins 2, Robocop and Kirby 2 on my Gameboy Light.  
Dragon Warrior 1+2 are also great on the GBA and improvements on the Famicom versions for sure (as is DW3), but they're not for everyone...
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Cheetahmen

Quote from: L___E___T on April 10, 2012, 05:53:22 amLately I've been playing Gremlins 2, Robocop and Kirby 2 on my Gameboy Light.

I need to get a copy of that; I have it on a multicart but on that it crashes after level 1. :'(
Life is too short to be little.
Twitter | DeviantArt | Youtube | Twitch