April 28, 2024, 11:28:18 pm

The Super FX 2 Multicart

Started by Drakon, February 24, 2012, 10:10:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakon

This is my first attempt and building a snes multicart of any type.  Since most snes hardware is playable on a powerpak I decided to go hardcore and wire up a superfx 2 cart.  The 34 pin ide connector at the back wires up both the eprom for the cart as well as the crystal oscillator that determines the gsu 2 speed.  So I just plug a little black box into the back and inside the box is the eprom of a game and the crystal oscillator that makes the gsu 2 run at the fastest speed that the game can run at.

The black box on the front is temporary I ran out of space inside of the cart and had to cut a hole in the front for wires.  Later I plan on removing the big black cover and installing a much smaller cover.

petik1

Very cool! Funny that you posted this now, what are the chances of being able to wire up an sfx2 chip to a game doctor's cartridge connector to be able to play sfx games? I know it was officially done with the dsp chip.

Drakon

Quote from: petik1 on February 25, 2012, 05:40:24 pm
Very cool! Funny that you posted this now, what are the chances of being able to wire up an sfx2 chip to a game doctor's cartridge connector to be able to play sfx games? I know it was officially done with the dsp chip.

I don't know what a game doctor is.  But the advantage of my cart is the clock speed of the cartridge is also controlled by the module at the back.  The game doctor won't be able to help you with that.  Each game has a different overclock speed so it's important to contain both the game eprom as well as the crystal oscillator in the back module.

L___E___T

There is a Super FX compatible flashcart available - pretty sure it runs Super FX 2 as well as real-time save states...

:question: [hoping this is topic relevant] :question:
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Drakon

yeah it's not really a superfx chip inside of the cart it's a fpga clone.

L___E___T

大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

MarioMania

Try a Street Fighter Alpha 2 cart

L___E___T

I think SFA2 on snes is pretty much a joke as-is...
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Drakon

Quote from: L___E___T on March 16, 2012, 03:50:59 am
does that cause problems?

FPGA can be very close but it's never 100% accurate.  If I wanted something that's not real I would use emulation.  The only things I use fpga for are fds and custom audio hardware like the sound chip found in the famicom gimmick carts...this's because the gimmick fc cart costs more money than I feel like paying for that game and fds games are stored in easy to break media where the powerpak has it all in a nice durable compact flash stick.