FDS Replacement Belts at Daiso (100 Yen shops)!!

Started by senseiman, March 14, 2012, 06:16:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

senseiman

March 14, 2012, 06:16:20 pm Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:43:22 pm by senseiman
Living in Japan?  Have an FDS that needs a new belt?  Want an endless supply of replacement belts for next to nothing?  Then just head to your local Daiso!

This blog post (in Japanese) shows you how:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/ika_fam/archives/67308307.html

I put a post on my blog summarizing it in English here:

http://famicomblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/fix-that-famicom-disk-system-belt-at.html

Best discovery ever.  

UglyJoe

Can't wait to see the price of name-card holders skyrocket on eBay :D

senseiman

Quote from: UglyJoe on March 14, 2012, 06:39:33 pm
Can't wait to see the price of name-card holders skyrocket on eBay :D

Wouldn`t be surprised, perhaps I should have kept this to myself.

Or perhaps I should start hording them ;D

manuel

I'm not sure I'd put something like that in my disk drive...
But if it works (for a longer time), it's an ingenious solution.

senseiman

Quote from: manuel on March 14, 2012, 07:56:59 pm
I'm not sure I'd put something like that in my disk drive...
But if it works (for a longer time), it's an ingenious solution.

I suppose "for a longer time" is the key phrase.  According to the original blog post these don't last very long so they are more a temporary replacement.  Still though, 100 yen for however many you can get out of one of those card cases inst bad ;D

manuel

That's true.
But opening your FDS every other day and replacing the makeshift belt is probably not worth the hassle. Especially when you can get real replacement belts (that last years) for like 800 Yen.

I wonder if there's no other rubber belt for other machines/equipment with exactly the same size?

senseiman

Quote from: manuel on March 14, 2012, 08:14:05 pm
That's true.
But opening your FDS every other day and replacing the makeshift belt is probably not worth the hassle. Especially when you can get real replacement belts (that last years) for like 800 Yen.

I wonder if there's no other rubber belt for other machines/equipment with exactly the same size?

Good point actually, that does look like a massive headache.

About other replacements, there is this:

http://torumemo.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2009/09/post-5102.html

Unfortunately as with every other place I've found this it just directs you to a shop in Akihabara that stocks them.  I'll have to scourge the Fukuoka hardware stores to see if I can find some.

manuel

You should try! 150 Yen is much better than 800 you pay on yahoo and other sites.

treismac

Famicomblog is your blog, senseiman?   :D  I love your blog!  It is one of my favorites in my Google Chrome bookmarks, and I check it for updates at least 3-4 times a week.  I've meant to leave a "thanks" on your blog for all your great work  for the longest time.  I'm glad I finally managed to send that "thanks" to you, albeit through another route. 

Keep up the great work!

~Travis

senseiman

Quote from: treismac on March 14, 2012, 10:24:13 pm
Famicomblog is your blog, senseiman?   :D  I love your blog!  It is one of my favorites in my Google Chrome bookmarks, and I check it for updates at least 3-4 times a week.  I've meant to leave a "thanks" on your blog for all your great work  for the longest time.  I'm glad I finally managed to send that "thanks" to you, albeit through another route. 

Keep up the great work!

~Travis

Thanks Travis!  It is very nice of you to say so! ;D

Post Merge: March 15, 2012, 12:25:18 am

Quote from: manuel on March 14, 2012, 09:03:51 pm
You should try! 150 Yen is much better than 800 you pay on yahoo and other sites.

I definitely will if I can find one for 150.  I will let you know if I do!

manuel

I don't check for belts usually, so I don't know what the normal price is. I just remembered that I saw some for 800. If there are the same ones for 350 one would be foolish not to buy the cheaper ones.

VegaVegas

800yen?? Damn, I got one for 9,90$ shipped to Poland on egay a few months ago.... and I guess you can still get for about 10$
Quote from: 80sFREAK on March 15, 2012, 02:50:51 am
In some cases ring from condom will do the job  ;D

xD I should have tried it before I had repaired mine ;D