Cheap shipping from the USA to Europe?

Started by untinip, March 20, 2012, 09:31:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

untinip

Hi, all!

I've had positive experience getting stuff shipped from Japan via surface/sea shipping. I now find myself wanting to get heavy stuff shipped from the USA, but USPS's rates makes it... not quite worth it. Does anyone here know of any cheap way to send, say a five pounds heavy box to Europe? I don't mind if it takes a month or two for it to arrive, as long as it gets here (and preferably with tracking and insurance options).

Thanks in advance!

ericj

untinip

Yeah, there's always that option but I was hoping for something even cheaper. To ship a box weighing 4 lbs 1 oz you have to buy a Priority MailĀ® International Medium Flat Rate Box for $47.95. I was kinda hoping to find some shipping option in the price range of around $20-30, and as I said I'm not in a hurry to get it so something like surface shipping would probably fit the bill. Or am I dreaming?

ericj

I don't think there is first class to Eurpoe anymore. A quick call to your local USPS will give you the best options.

untinip

A call to my local USPS office would be a long distance call! ;)
I'll try and drop them an e-mail instead! ;D

Algo Fonix

I use first class to Europe to send my girlfriend things while she's over there. Last package I sent would've been 40+ dollars priority but it ended up being 14-ish dollars First Class.

untinip

I couldn't find a way to contact USPS via e-mail (at least not to a sales representative)... I did however find a blog post saying USPS discontinued international parcel post in May 2007. That's too bad! :'(

From what I can tell from USPS's website a First-Class MailĀ® International Parcel for $30.44 would be the cheapest shipping option they currently offer. Its maximum allowed weight appears to be 4 pounds, so I guess I'll have to stick to stuff weighing less than that.

Thanks for your help, guys! :)