Do Graphic Editors Need Write Capability?

Started by aitsu124, May 05, 2016, 04:06:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

aitsu124

Hi,

I ordered multiple graphic editors, such as Hokusai and Tonkachi Editor, recently. I would like to be able to utilize the write features that these have. But my FDS is FMD POWER-04 with a 3206 chip.

My question is: Does my FDS need to have full write capabilities in order for me to be able utilize these features?

Thanks!
Increasing source of obscure Japanese information...and interface.

P

I don't know but maybe not.

The write protection just prohibits rewriting the entire disk, but still allows writing to single files (or else games wouldn't be able to save). Since the graphic editors are probably just editing the files that contains CHR data, my spontaneous guess is that it would work even with write protection.

aitsu124

Would trying be risky? If it turns out that they do, would it mess up the disk or console?

P

I haven't heard anything that any hardware may be damaged if one attempts to write a whole disk on a copy protected drive, and it sounds very unlikely to me that it would. No idea if the copy protection stops the drive before it is able to overwrite anything on the disk or not, you might want to try with a disk that you don't care about first to be safe.

Now I'm just guessing here.

aitsu124

Does this write prevention apply to writing games to blank disks as well?

P

aitsu124

May 23, 2016, 11:22:07 am #6 Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 06:32:20 am by aitsu124
Results from self-testing:

Yes, I think. Testing it, the disk attempted to be written to gets Error 24. I say I think because the editor also has a selection that removes characters/tiles. I'm almost positive this wouldn't be necessary, or have anything to do with the other category, but you never know. If anyone has any information about this, let me know.

P

Error 24 means the file header is not where it's supposed to be. Maybe Tonkachi messed up the header for the file you edited.

What file did you edit? Was it a CHR file?

aitsu124

I didn't use Tonkachi Editor - I used Hokusai. I edited a graphic file. The only other thing I can think of is that I might've tried to save two graphic files to disk, not just one. Don't know if it's picky about that or not.