data recorder tape images

Started by ramidavis, April 30, 2012, 01:05:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

Okay, I finished scanning the book today.  You can browse it here: http://imgur.com/a/CBnOi or you can download the whole thing in a zip file here: http://famicomworld.com/wp-content/uploads/Lets_Play_with_Family_Basic.zip

ramidavis

Wow, thanks a lot! That does it, i have got to learn to read Japanese. Anyone could point me to some sort of (free) crash course in Japanese? (more interested in being able to read it then i would be in trying to speak it.)

jpx72

Thanks UglyJoe! I have been watching your Imgur album growing ;D and now it's finished! Books like this are rare, I am happy that I have it now, and that the Famicom community can download it here!

L___E___T

Hey Joe, do you know what the tapes are on the back of the book?
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

UglyJoe

I'm assuming the book came with a cassette containing the programs and/or the background graphics arrangements.  I do not have the cassette.

Is that what you were referring to?

L___E___T

Yes, I have the tapes and book on the way.  Anyway I can dump the tape once it arrives?  As you've scanned the book (wow...) it makes sense.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

UglyJoe

Quote from: L___E___T on May 14, 2012, 07:37:18 am
Anyway I can dump the tape once it arrives?

Would be nice of you ;D  You'd have to capture it to some lossless format, though (FLAC or something), otherwise the data on the tapes might be rendered unreadable.  We can host it on FW if you're interested.

L___E___T

May 14, 2012, 07:51:12 am #22 Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:51:59 am by L___E___T
Defo interested.  They were super cheap but I've not seen them before so seemingly uncommon.
Given how much value people place on 'alternate' demo and beta versions of games I figured I should pick them up.
Not sure how I'd capture, but if I can't do it I'll send them over to you or whoever best suitable.

I've been wanting to contribute to the site for a good amount of time now with something.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

jpx72

Quote from: L___E___T on May 14, 2012, 07:51:12 am
I've been wanting to contribute to the site for a good amount of time now with something.

That'll be quite Something! Really looking forward to that!

ramidavis

May 14, 2012, 08:51:02 pm #24 Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:07:21 pm by ramidavis
Quote from: UglyJoe on May 06, 2012, 02:23:06 pm
I looked at the Nestopia .tp file format today.  It turns out they're just a headerless unsigned 8-bit PCM wave file with a 32000 Hz sampling rate.  You can do an "Import Raw Data" in Audacity (settings here) and save it as a wav file.  Hook up an audio cable from your PC to the FB keyboard and you can load it up on the real hardware.  Conversion works in the other direction, too.
So, you mean using Audacity, i can take a .wav recording of a famicom tape (such as the wrap.wav file you sent me earlier [space ship moving around and shooting]), and save it as a .tp?
I have opened the wrap.wav file with Audacity, and told it to export [from file > export]. It gives me a save dialog box, and choose to name it test.tp . Before clicking save, i clicked the 'options...' box in the corner, and set the options as header: RAW (header-less) , encoding: Unsigned 8-bit PCM ,  then clicked ok, and clicked save.
It gives me a warning: "you are about to save a LIBSNDFILE file with the name "test.tp"
Normally these files end in ".raw" , and some programs will not open files with nonstandard extensions.
Are you sure you want to save the file under this name?" , and i click yes. It brings up the Edit Metadata box, i leave everything blank, and click ok.
The file test.tp is then written, and when i attempt to load from this .tp image, it simply runs to the end of the tape with out loading anything.

Could you please explain how to convert from .wav to .tp?

UglyJoe

Quote from: ramidavis on May 14, 2012, 08:51:02 pm
Could you please explain how to convert from .wav to .tp?

In Audacity:

• Open the wav file.

• Project Rate (Hz) [bottom of window]: 32000

• File -> Export

• Save as type: Other uncompressed files

• Options button:

• Header: RAW (header-less)

• Encoding: Unsigned 8 bit PCM

• Pick your filename and click OK through any other dialogs.

In Nestopia:

• Before loading ROM, goto Machine -> External -> Tape Recorder -> File

• Uncheck "Use image file naming"

• Browse to your new tp file and hit OK

• Load up FB rom (wrap.wav requires FB v2.1a -- will get jibberish in FB 3.0)

• Get to the basic prompt and type LOAD and press enter

• Go to Machine -> External -> Tape Recorder -> Play

• Wait...

• Type LIST or RUN

ramidavis

May 15, 2012, 08:55:16 pm #26 Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:56:03 pm by ramidavis
That works!
I totally missed the project rate Hz setting at the bottom of the window!

UglyJoe

FYI, the Virtuanes vtp format appears to be the same as the Nestopia tp format.

ramidavis

Quote from: L___E___T on May 14, 2012, 07:51:12 am
Defo interested.  They were super cheap but I've not seen them before so seemingly uncommon.
Given how much value people place on 'alternate' demo and beta versions of games I figured I should pick them up.
Not sure how I'd capture, but if I can't do it I'll send them over to you or whoever best suitable.

I've been wanting to contribute to the site for a good amount of time now with something.
I just wanted to say thank you in advance for doing this.
I hope they get to you safely.

L___E___T

They arrived, but I don't know how to scan them...
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。