User locations

Started by Frank_fjs, May 08, 2012, 07:00:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_fjs

Is it possible to include user locations within the user information that appears on the left hand side of a forum post?

I ask as this would make it easier when browsing for sale threads. I know you can enter a user's profile to find out this information, but it would be more convenient if you could tell where a person was located with a quick glance.

80sFREAK

Quote from: Frank_fjs on May 08, 2012, 07:00:06 pm
Is it possible to include user locations within the user information that appears on the left hand side of a forum post?

I ask as this would make it easier when browsing for sale threads. I know you can enter a user's profile to find out this information, but it would be more convenient if you could tell where a person was located with a quick glance.
99% for you will be international shipping anyway or do you have preferences where not to buy?
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

fredJ

I enter my location for that reason.

Shipping is quite expensive from my country and I don't want to ship heavier items abroad.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

jpx72

(removed my former post)
A small country flag along the gender icon would be nice, although I don't know if the moderators have time to play with it.

manuel

I also like the idea of a small country flag.

fredJ

Me too.

And I disagree with the Venus symbol being pink, I find that insulting.
I think they should have the same color... Make both pink.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

Frank_fjs

Thanks for the comments guys.

I just think it would be easier if people's countries were more visibly displayed, I was hoping that this would be a simple feature of the forums that could be activated.

UglyJoe

Quote from: Frank_fjs on May 08, 2012, 07:00:06 pm

Possible, but I know that on a lot of forums the "location" field just becomes a joke.

Quote from: jpx72 on May 09, 2012, 05:27:37 am
A small country flag along the gender icon would be nice, although I don't know if the moderators have time to play with it.

I like this idea better because it takes up less room and can't become (much of) a joke because it's just a flag and a country name.  The hard part would be having to maintain a list of flags/countries.  You'd essentially have a "location field" where you could type whatever you want (and would not show up alongside your posts) and a "country field" where you would have to select your country from a dropbox; the country would be associated with a flag image which would appear alongside your posts.  I like this idea as long as there is a forum extension that handles most of the work for me ;D

Quote from: fredJ on May 09, 2012, 05:52:59 am

It's curious how sensitive the Internet population is towards that sort of thing.  Maybe would could replace the Venus/Mars symbols with some girl/boy Famicom sprites? Peach and Mario?  Zelda and Link?  Roll and Rock?

manuel

I like the idea with male/female Famicom sprites!

Jedi Master Baiter

May 09, 2012, 12:32:03 pm #9 Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:45:59 pm by UglyJoe
Quote from: fredJ on May 09, 2012, 05:52:59 am

Why? Are you a woman? Why don't we leave that up to our female members here?

I think the flag display idea is a good one. Are there any Famicom/NES games that use flags? Preferably smaller than Off-Road:

Cheetahmen

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on May 09, 2012, 12:32:03 pmI think the flag display idea is a good one. Are there any Famicom/NES games that use flags?

The only one that I can think of is Stick Hunter, but that only has 8 flags. :-\
Life is too short to be little.
Twitter | DeviantArt | Youtube | Twitch

UglyJoe

8-bit style flags would be cool, but there's no game that is going to have enough flags.

VegaVegas

No bullshit guys, just make your own flags in MS Paint, the effect would be the same :P

UglyJoe

I would use these flags: http://famfamfam.com/lab/icons/flags/ .  I don't feel like MS-Painting 247 flags.

Cheetahmen

Quote from: UglyJoe on May 09, 2012, 12:58:10 pm
I would use these flags: http://famfamfam.com/lab/icons/flags/ .  I don't feel like MS-Painting 247 flags.

One thing I've noticed with those flags is that rather than have the standard UK flag, it has the flags for the seperate countries. I don't have a problem with that myself though. Also, the Northern Ireland flag seems to be missing. ???
Life is too short to be little.
Twitter | DeviantArt | Youtube | Twitch