FDS Reads fine but ERR03 UPDATE: BAD DISK?

Started by sconley666, May 14, 2012, 04:19:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sconley666

May 14, 2012, 04:19:13 pm Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:46:16 pm by sconley666
I tried it with both Castlevania as well as Kid Icarus.  Castlevania I didn't actually end up saving, I just erased the previous saves.  I erased the previous saves on Kid Icarus as well, but then played for like 2 hours and died tried to save.  It told me to flip the disk over "I am assuming as I don't read Japanese all I can see is "A" or "B" in the mix of "katakana?" and then it hit me with the ERR03.  I turned it off and started it up again and the old saves were there.  So for shits and giggles I tried Castlevania and the old saves I had deleted were still there as well.  Should I have bought new copies of the games?  I bought used but they had everything and were in "immaculate" shape, the only new games I bought was SMB2 just because it was just as cheap to buy new.

I JUST got the FDS today and have been waiting to play the games.  I was told that the games were in excellent shape, and really they were.  I was also told that the drive was in great shape and it is except for this.  I mentioned in my post in the other sub-forum that the FDS came with a cardboard disk in it that says to protect the head when transporting.  So I figured cool.   :help: :help: :help: :help: and Thank you in advance.
Also sconley666 on NintendoAge

Frank_fjs

There are little plastic tabs on the end of the disk, I'm guessing yours have been snapped off. You need to cover them with tape in order to permit saving/writing to the disk.

Video and audio tapes had a similar thing, where you could snap out a plastic tab to prevent accidentally recording over the tape.

sconley666

I looked up the error and saw that 80s was correct but I will try the tape. You guuys are awesome! Come on 80'sFreak I was waiting for you to google it for me! ;)

80sFREAK

Quote from: sconley666 on May 15, 2012, 11:11:01 am
I looked up the error and saw that 80s was correct but I will try the tape. You guuys are awesome! Come on 80'sFreak I was waiting for you to google it for me! ;)
Nah, it was closer ;D
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

sconley666

JESUS You would think that after all those years of using 5.25" Floppies back in the day I would have thought about it, the tape and all.  Well now that works but after I turned it off and tried to play another game I keep getting ERROR 22 NONSTOP no matter what game I try.  WTF This fuckin' thing is cursed.  Any words of wisdom?  I hear about all this head adjustment and drive speed adjustment.  I know who I bought it from replaced the belt before he sent it but then it shipped from Japan to the US and the box what HIT.  The drive has been working other than the saving thing.  I fixed that, simple fix BTW thanks guys, and now I turn it off and all I get is fuckin ERROR 22 no matter WHAT game I try.  Is this like the most common issue in the world with this thing.  Should I fix it and not move it EVER. What should I do.  PLEASE HELP ME OBI-WAN KAN-OBI!   :help: :help:

EDIT: I did get an ERROR 21 then turned it off and now it wont boot a game and is giving ERROR 22s.  I should have clarified.

ericj

Clean the magnetic read head with isopropyl rubbing alcohol & a q-tip. This should fix it right up.

sconley666

Phosphora

Quote from: Frank_fjs on May 15, 2012, 06:34:56 am
There are little plastic tabs on the end of the disk, I'm guessing yours have been snapped off. You need to cover them with tape in order to permit saving/writing to the disk.

Video and audio tapes had a similar thing, where you could snap out a plastic tab to prevent accidentally recording over the tape.

Is there any reason why someone would break off the tabs on their games? It's not like anyone would force you to rewrite your games on accident. It's such a shame to take a game like Metroid and purposely disable the save feature.

I went through my collection, and luckily I only own one game with missing tabs. This issue hadn't crossed my mind before, I guess I'll have to pay closer attention to ebay photos in the future.

sconley666

Quote from: ericj on May 15, 2012, 11:45:41 am
Clean the magnetic read head with isopropyl rubbing alcohol & a q-tip. This should fix it right up.

Well I gave the head a good cleaning with alcohol and a q-tip and still just getting Error 22  I let the head dry before I put the disk in because I didn't want something to happen to the disk.

I am kind of bummed out by this because The Famicom Disk System was a HUGE part of my desire to collect famicom games.  I just don't understand what happened between yesterday when I was playing the system just fine until now.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not, even though I do have the original AC adapter I opted to use batteries just based on the fact that I don't have a variac to adjust the voltage. The batteries that I used are not new.  They were in an NES satellite, that I had used quite a bit but never gave me problems.  I took the batteries out of it and they have been sitting for about 6 months.  Those are the ones I used, but they have only been in the unit for like 2 days. And I haven't played it a ton or anything.  I guess I could check them with a multi-meter but I really don't see that being a problem.  Maybe I am wrong, IDK.

(I know that the power in my house is all over the place.  I found that out by using a piece of rack mounted gear that I have in a case that is basically a really expensive power strip in my guitar rig.  It regulates the voltage to my equipment to stop from voltage spikes ruining my gear and costing me about $10,000.  The unit has a digital read out on it to show what the voltage coming in is at and then it regulates it down to either 110v or 120v based upon what you have the unit set to.   I actually use this unit to play my famicom because I don't want the voltage to spike and burn up my adapter or god forbid the unit itself.)

Frank_fjs

Don't try to understand it, the FDS is a temperamental pain in the bum. They will stop working without warning or reason at any given time.

ericj

I'd try an AC adapter instead of batteries. Also check that the belt isn't broken.

sconley666

Eric, YOU DID IT!!!! You sir, are the FDS god!  The power supply plus tape equals a totally fixed system (+a good cleaning) thank you do much man.

Phosphora

Quote from: sconley666 on May 15, 2012, 07:58:44 pm
Eric, YOU DID IT!!!! You sir, are the FDS god!  The power supply plus tape equals a totally fixed system (+a good cleaning) thank you do much man.

Dude, if you could tell us what ebay seller sold you games with snapped-off tabs it would be appreciated.
If that wasn't pictured in the auction, big time BS IMO.

On ALL of ebay, I can only come across maybe 1 or 2 FDS disks with removed tabs.

sconley666

May 15, 2012, 10:42:36 pm #13 Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:45:43 pm by sconley666
Quote from: Phosphora on May 15, 2012, 08:16:59 pm
Eric, YOU DID IT!!!! You sir, are the FDS god!  The power supply plus tape equals a totally fixed system (+a good cleaning) thank you do much man.

Dude, if you could tell us what ebay seller sold you games with snapped-off tabs it would be appreciated.

On ALL of ebay, I can only come across maybe 1 or 2 FDS disks with removed tabs.

It was hit-japan that I bought it from.  It was the first FDS game I purchased so I was ignorant to how they worked or about the tabs.  But here is how the game was presented...these are the actual pics from the auction.

Post Merge: May 15, 2012, 10:46:45 pm

The best part is that I paid $20 for the game and $15 for EMS shipping from japan and that was the only thing I had ordered from them at that point so it was just the one item, no combined shipping.  My general feeling about famicom game purchasing is that the games are cheaper than NES games, but you damn well better order enough to make the shipping worth it, because 9 times out of 10 they are coming from japan otherwise they are more expensive than NES games.

Note: Of course I mean shipping to the US from Japan.  Obviously if you are collecting in Japan the shipping would be cheaper/domestic.

Post Merge: May 17, 2012, 10:45:43 pm

Quote from: sconley666 on May 15, 2012, 10:42:36 pm
Quote from: Phosphora on May 15, 2012, 08:16:59 pm

It was hit-japan that I bought it from.  It was the first FDS game I purchased so I was ignorant to how they worked or about the tabs.  But here is how the game was presented...these are the actual pics from the auction.

Post Merge: May 15, 2012, 10:46:45 pm

The best part is that I paid $20 for the game and $15 for EMS shipping from japan and that was the only thing I had ordered from them at that point so it was just the one item, no combined shipping.  My general feeling about famicom game purchasing is that the games are cheaper than NES games, but you damn well better order enough to make the shipping worth it, because 9 times out of 10 they are coming from japan otherwise they are more expensive than NES games.

Note: Of course I mean shipping to the US from Japan.  Obviously if you are collecting in Japan the shipping would be cheaper/domestic.

SO I just sat and played with my fds and all my game disks and it seems to me that the only game that really is giving me any errors is Kid Icarus.  Sad because that is actually one of the games I had to have.  So I guess I will be getting a new copy.  I can load/read, as well as write saved data to castlevania just fine, and SMB2 plays great and loads every time with no issue.  But Kid Icarus i have about a 50/50 shot of getting to load, and its like if it doesn't do it the first time don't even bother.  If I get it to load it will be really really slow and then it will load the game.  If you go to save it will give a error 24 message.  And pop the disk out and in and out and in, like a good night with a whore, and then finally it will save the game.  So it would be my newbie, unprofessional opinion that I bought a junk disk from a shady retailer via an over inflated price gouging website.
Whatever.

fredJ

If you don't find any other copy, I have one for 20$ WITH shipping.
You get some stickers on the plastic cover too....
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com