The RGB / S-video NES or AV Famicom with Clear Stereo + Bass Boost

Started by Drakon, May 22, 2012, 09:53:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakon

These systems feature true rgb and s-video but require the customer to mail me the console + rgb ppu chip.  Also if you're interested in the superior av famicom you'll probably want to purchase a nes to famicom adapter.  Additional upgrades I can do is an upgraded audio circuit with stereo and a very clean sounding bass boost.  I can install an audio switch to switch between default audio and upgraded audio since two games sound strange with the upgaded audio.  I can make the system capable of using a NES powerpak.

Here's some pictures of my latest model AV famicom now featuring the audio switch located in the back which is an upgrade from my early commissions.

I can also do the same mods to certain models of the toaster nes and all models of the nes 2.  The toaster / nes 2 don't sound as good with the audio upgrade kit as the av famicom does and the nes 2 can't get extended audio from the nes powerpak without modifying the powerpak itself.  Here's a picture of a toaster I built:

Ignore the audio dials I was hired to rebuild this system as the first guy who upgraded it didn't do a very good job.  Since the nes 2 / toaster nes don't come with a multi av port I offer the option of either installing a multi av port or a custom port.

Here's some old demo videos I made of my first rgb / audio upgraded system.  I've since improved the video quality but I don't know how noticable it would be on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v7e-bjB13s&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tIJ2gRC77qA

Here's some pictures customers sent me of their completed machines running on their tvs.

S-video:

RGB:

For pricing / requirements please send me a pm.

Future commission work: A custom built av famicom that plugs into a standard jamma arcade cabinet.

L___E___T

Nice work - I didn't realise the new AV Famicom had trouble with the Powerpak.  Are you able to do the bass boost audio mod on regular famicoms?

Was going to PM but thought others might benefit from enquiries here in the thread, thanks!
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Drakon

The av famicom doesn't have trouble with the powerpak it's the rgb ppu that doesn't like the powerpak unless you swap out another chip on the pcb.  Interestingly enough the chip you need to install to get the powerpak running with a rgb ppu can be found on the playchoice pcb, but it's a common chip that you can buy from electronics suppliers.  The original famicom audio circuit is the same as the toaster nes so it won't sound any better than a toaster.  The AV famicom has a unique audio circuit and inspite my best efforts I wasn't able to re-create the audio circuit of the av famicom.  Wiring the audio kit into a toaster nes audio circuit sounds close to the av famicom with the same kit but not identical.  I also have no idea if the original famicom would have a distortion free image.  I installed a ppu socket in a model 1 famicom but there's a broken ppu connection somewhere since I get garbled graphics and I havn't bothered fixing it yet.

I agree with 80sfreak someone needs to make identical copies of the rgb ppu chip, fpga would be a bit strange but reproduction ppus would be cool.

aodinets

Dragon, how you implemented the "bass boost" in your console?
and PM me, please, how mush RGB ppu cost.
sorry my english.

punkpolitical

Quote from: Drakon on May 22, 2012, 07:10:48 pm
The av famicom doesn't have trouble with the powerpak it's the rgb ppu that doesn't like the powerpak unless you swap out another chip on the pcb.  Interestingly enough the chip you need to install to get the powerpak running with a rgb ppu can be found on the playchoice pcb, but it's a common chip that you can buy from electronics suppliers.  The original famicom audio circuit is the same as the toaster nes so it won't sound any better than a toaster.  The AV famicom has a unique audio circuit and inspite my best efforts I wasn't able to re-create the audio circuit of the av famicom.  Wiring the audio kit into a toaster nes audio circuit sounds close to the av famicom with the same kit but not identical.  I also have no idea if the original famicom would have a distortion free image.  I installed a ppu socket in a model 1 famicom but there's a broken ppu connection somewhere since I get garbled graphics and I havn't bothered fixing it yet.

I agree with 80sfreak someone needs to make identical copies of the rgb ppu chip, fpga would be a bit strange but reproduction ppus would be cool.

Drakon Love these mods you do. I watched on of your videos a super long time ago and this stuff is awesome. One day i would like to have this stuff done but as of right now Im out of work and it sucks hard. Quick question Which Number is the ppu chip you use for the rgb???? Is it the RP2C03B????? .........so maybe i can hunt one down someday. Thanks for the videos and screen shots and stuff. And if someone made copies of the ppu that would be great so they weren't so rare and expensive.

L___E___T

I think I'm against the crowd in that I prefer the original look of the hardware on a CRT, without all the RGB mods, but the sound mods really interest me.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Drakon

Quote from: aodinets on May 22, 2012, 08:24:41 pm
Dragon, how you implemented the "bass boost" in your console?
and PM me, please, how mush RGB ppu cost.

"These systems feature true rgb and s-video but require the customer to mail me the console + rgb ppu chip"

If it's not clear enough, I'm not selling the rgb chips.

I implemented the bass boost using magic.....
.....and a custom av famicom kit from japan.

punk: rgb ppus I've built into machines with success:, rp2c03b, rc2c05-04 (with a custom circuit)
ppus that supposedly work but I've never tried mself: rc2c03b

Also found this:

The audio upgrade circuit is built into the rgb upgrade kit and can't be purchased separately from the seller in japan.  So if you don't get the rgb and s-video upgrade you can't get the audio upgrade unless you want to spend 150$ and wire up only the audio portion of the pcb.

L___E___T

Yup, gimme that shit on the left  :octorok:  I don't know what it is, but I find it has more charm (admittedly that pic isn't doing it any justice).

This becomes really apparent on the Rockman 2 intro, as the skyscrapers look massively different when run through an RGB mod compared to default.

That RGB mod is so, so sharp though, it does look very nice and quite amazing.  I just have a low-fi fetish it seems.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

L___E___T

Actually, my AV mod famicom needs an entire once over.  I was going to send it to TEA4TWO but it's not cheap. 
I'd like a bass boost and general cleaner sound from it, plus it buzzes anyway on my 60hz TV, I think the AV mod is off.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Frank_fjs

I love the RGB mod and would welcome any audio quality improvements but am not a fan of the stereo sound. From what I can gather, it is simply splitting two or three channels between full left/right pan? It would be better, though I doubt it would be possible, if it 'mixed' the sound more evenly rather than pushing channel X full left and channel Y full right.

Drakon

Quote from: L___E___T on May 23, 2012, 06:59:57 am
Yup, gimme that shit on the left  :octorok:  I don't know what it is, but I find it has more charm (admittedly that pic isn't doing it any justice).

That's cool just wanted to make absolutely sure.

Once again for all haters of "stereo" just set your amp to mono....or buy an audio cable which is two rca female jacks to one rca male jack and BOOM it's mono again!  In fact the amp I use is from 1979 and the fuse in one of the channels blew so I just have it set to mono and all is good.

Drakon

Quote from: 80sFREAK on May 24, 2012, 05:57:21 am
Quoteamp I use is from 1979
proof or GTFO! ;D

About stereo - which way you do? Just mixing CPU sound output in two channels or using phase shifter for pseudo stereo and/or stereo base expander? ???

I didn't build the audio circuit I just wired it up like I said it comes on a kit.

Drakon

Drakon

aodinets

Quote from: 80sFREAK on May 24, 2012, 05:57:21 am
Quoteamp I use is from 1979
proof or GTFO! ;D

About stereo - which way you do? Just mixing CPU sound output in two channels or using phase shifter for pseudo stereo and/or stereo base expander? ???

I using pseudo stereo and/or stereo base expander TDA3810. Sound good.
2 opamps and CXA1645 - is not magic. bass boost on opamps - its funny=))
sorry my english.