Limiting New Users usage of the B/S/T and Auction forums?

Started by Parodius Duh, May 26, 2012, 08:16:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

petik1

Quote from: Parodius Duh on May 27, 2012, 06:29:16 pm
if this isnt an option than how about making a sub forum to the b/s/t forum that only members with 100+ feedback can post their rare items for sale and trade with each other, without the worry of being scammed by noobs.

100+ feedback? I've been a member since '09 and I have a feedback of 4.

Parodius Duh

Quote from: petik1 on May 27, 2012, 06:53:08 pm
Quote from: Parodius Duh on May 27, 2012, 06:29:16 pm
if this isnt an option than how about making a sub forum to the b/s/t forum that only members with 100+ feedback can post their rare items for sale and trade with each other, without the worry of being scammed by noobs.

100+ feedback? I've been a member since '09 and I have a feedback of 2.

I meant posts, 100+ POSTS.

80sFREAK

Oh, well, i never recieved my end twice, so what? As result i can say "Wanna trade? No prob, send me your stuff first, when i will recieve it, i will send mine". And i don't do much trades only because can not see much interesting stuff for me to trade-in.

I would vote against limiting new users for B/S/T threads. In my experience for each active(posting) user you can count about 10 registered users, who would ask questions in PM or buy ocassionally. And for each registered user(include posting) is about 10 "guests", who just reading messageboard.

25+ posts? It's just nothing - go to "Off topic" and you will gain this amount in about 1 hour.

If you don't feel secure about deal, just don't do it or secure payment/goods.

P.S. can you send me PM with details of that member?
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

son_ov_hades

Why limit new users? If you don't wanna do business with them it's simple: don't. As for the whole "n00b bought something that I wanted, not fair" argument, my only advice is to check the forum more often. Either that or just stop bitching, that works too.

fredJ

On a slightly different note, I still think it would be useful to have another B/S section under "Misc"....
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

nintendodork

We've had a very small amount of problems when it comes to scamming in the BST forum, and I really don't think it's a big enough problem to have any significant correlation to new members joining and not posting just to scam people, so I don't think this small problem would necessarily be solved by making a minimum post requirement.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

L___E___T

I don't agree with adding a post limit, this is not Assembler or even NintendoAge.  People are not whoring up the thread with sale posts and most famicom games are not in the $100+ range.

As for losing out on great deals, you need to be quick and there will always be lurkers, or those that don't oblige to post.  They shouldn't be forced.

I don't think barriers should be put up, I don't there should be rules in the B/S/T forums other than reading the rules and not over-bumping threads.
When you start talking about community like that - it becomes insular and represents another barrier to newcomers, I'm not for that.

The golden rule is, be quick and check back every day (I log on multiple times a day).  If someone replied to a PM before you, I can't help but feel that's fair as first come, first serve I'm afraid.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

manuel

I agree with what L___E___T dais 100%.

I've made many good deals with 0 post members.
Never had a problem with them (yet).

I did have some problems with members who have a lot of posts, though.  :-[

L___E___T

I think it should be up to the customer whether to do business with a 0 feedback member after all.
I only chipped in because I really like the friendly tone of this site, it's what makes it special and why this is the only real forum I frequent.

I'm just thinking of situations where a long time member of Assembler or NA might want to plug something here, but therefore can't becauise of this rule.
It just seems limiting to me and I think the great thing about this forum is that it is not strict and tense but calm and friendly, despite the lack of rules.

Anything that pushes new users away generally wouldn't get my vote anyway though, I'd lovethe famicom scene to be bigger in the west generally.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Parodius Duh

June 02, 2012, 08:58:44 pm #24 Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:17:14 pm by Parodius Duh
Quote from: son_ov_hades on May 29, 2012, 03:07:23 pm
Why limit new users? If you don't wanna do business with them it's simple: don't. As for the whole "n00b bought something that I wanted, not fair" argument, my only advice is to check the forum more often. Either that or just stop bitching, that works too.

Did you read my other points? obviously not, if youre going to reply in my posts, Id appreciate it that you actually read all of my replies. Below:

Getting ripped off once for my RARE carts via TRADE is enough for me.

nintendodork

Quote from: Parodius Duh on June 02, 2012, 08:58:44 pm
An unwritten rule that I've noticed is common on many BST forums is that the person with the lower post count, time active on the forum, etc, sends their item first. You can't really blame anyone except yourself for trusting that an anonymous person who has no reputation at all here is going to hold up their end of the deal.  If I were you, I would have told them to send their item first, and if they ask why, tell them what I just said, and there's really no reason they should argue with you about it.  If they argue at all, there's a good chance they were planning on scamming you.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Parodius Duh

I had already sold him items with no problem, so i figured nothing would go wrong with trading.

lobdale

If you already had made a sale to him with no problem, he had earned your trust exclusive from post count.  The sale was presumably a good sale, so how would a post count limit have changed the outcome of the later trade?  Some people just end up being forgetful or dishonest, and no amount of transaction rules can prevent some wacko from doing something crazy.  Use the feedback threads, protect yourself, insure your packages.

Setting a post count barrier only limits the effectiveness of the B/S/T section, and when it comes to something as niche as Famicom games and hardware, any single user that faces a barrier to entry they don't care to get through is more likely not to return than to participate.

son_ov_hades

Quote from: Parodius Duh on June 02, 2012, 08:58:44 pm
Quote from: son_ov_hades on May 29, 2012, 03:07:23 pm

Did you read my other points? obviously not, if youre going to reply in my posts, Id appreciate it that you actually read all of my replies. Below:

I read the whole thread. My point still stands if you don't want to do business(buy, sell or trade) with someone who is risky then don't. No one forces you to deal with anyone. Limiting the BST board would not magically take away the risk in do business on a forum.

MasterDisk

Quote from: Parodius Duh on June 02, 2012, 11:17:38 pm
I had already sold him items with no problem, so i figured nothing would go wrong with trading.

The guy that scammed me here had bought bunch items here before I did the trade with him.

Nothing stop a scammer to scam people.