Technical and Repair Assistance

Started by b3b0palula, September 10, 2006, 01:08:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Squeakychu

Well, I've finally got my famicom system open and the screws replaced, thanks to your advice. It's fantastic.

However, I'm now having problems with my famicom disk system. The system itself works, but it won't load anything. When I put in a disk, it stays on the loading screen forever. I have already tried replacing my belt, cleaning the head, and even adjusting the spindle, just as people said earlier, but with no luck.

It takes about 7 seconds for the disk head to reach the center and then it pulls back; this process repeats itself forever, and I wonder if this is too slow, just in case. If so, is this the screw that I need to adjust to get the correct speed?

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss174/McSqueakychu/0707102246.jpg

Thanks!

ericj

To adjust the motor speed, insert a small flat blade screwdriver in the hole on the top of the motor. Adjust it in small increments until it reads faster. Are you getting any errors, or is the loading screen just staying on? The screw you have in the pic is the read head adjustment screw. I'd steer clear of adjusting it. I've never had to adjust it yet. The spindle adjustment is typically where the errors arise from.

Squeakychu

The loading screen just stays on. If the spindle is the problem, I'm not entirely sure if this is how it's done, but would I have to unscrew the black, small allen screw holding the nut and spindle in place, turn the spindle until I hear a clicking sound, turn it another quarter of a circle, and then tighten the allen screw again (and then adjust in small increments if it still doesn't work)? That's what I got from some place (maybe here?).

Also, thanks for saving me from making a potentially regrettable move. Luckly, I haven't been able to budge the head adjustment screw yet, so I haven't done any unnecessary changes to it.

ericj

There's no need to turn it until it clicks. Just simply loosen the screw, move it a few degrees, re-tighten, and re-test. Do this until it works. Very small increments, many adjustments. Hopefully it will work for you doing this. It's very tedious.  :P

Squeakychu

Sorry for replying late, but I took your advice. However, after about 5 hours (spanning an entire day), and around 50-60 attempts circling the entire spindle, I still can't get the system past the loading screen. Because I've pretty much given up trying to continue any further, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a repair service that would be able to get the disk system working for me again. I'd gladly pay for it.

Again, sorry if I sound so negative, but there's nothing more heartrending than buying a system perceived by the seller to be in excellent shape for $130 (from Japan nonetheless, so returning the system is out of the question), only to find it DOA (The belt was broke and melted on the motor and bottom part of the spindle, though the seller was nice enough to include a spare. Of course, I managed to replace it). I'll do anything at this point to salvage my investment, even if it means paying a little extra for repairs.

Also. Here's the post that I found on turning the spindle a specific way:

http://digitpress.com/forum/showpost.php?p=364900&postcount=97

Thank you very much for the help so far! I really appreciate it. I just wish I could do more. :'(

petik1

More problems  >:( I just discovered that on my famicom, whenever I press a button on the D pad, then the B and A button, it'll do the same as the start button in SMB, and reset in the Tengen Ms. Pac man cart. UGH!!! Anyone got any ideas?

133MHz

Frayed controller cables. Having one or several intermittent connections on the controller signal wires can cause all sorts of weird controller behavior.

geekmiki

Hi everyone,

I just got a Famulator and  while it works ok, the image has some terrible stripes.
The Famulator is connected to the TV with its original AV cable, but I tried other ones to discard that problem.
All my other systems (Twin FC, Megadrive, NES) are connected the same way and have a clear image.

Anyone has a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

133MHz

Faint, interference-like vertical lines or clearly defined solid colored vertical lines? A picture of the screen would be nice. :)

geekmiki

famiac

it happens to me too, what kind of tv are you using, when i use a plasma tv that happens, it works best with a crt screen

geekmiki

I'm using a Sony LCD.
Seems stilla bit strange, since Akihabara is full of Famulators connected to LCDs to demo the thing, I never noticed it (ok, the screens are 7" LCDs, but still).

btw, when you use a CRT does it eliminate or just reduce it?

famiac

i don't know, ill check as soon as i get to my home in the city

geekmiki

Well I managed to get a CRT TV and it seems that the Famulator still displays those awful vertical lines. The effect is a bit attenuated compared to an LCD TV, but still visible... Anyone else to confirm that this is normal or that I have a problematic famulator?

Thanks!

knux123

Hi,
Since I live in Europe, I decided to buy an AV modded Famicom.
Unfortunately the image isn't displayed properly by my TVs:
http://it.tinypic.com/r/dqnksn/3
(don't worry about the black and white image, my other tvs display the colors properly).
I don't know if the system or the TV is the problem.
One thing I should mention is that when I try to play NTSC games on the dreamcast  I have the same problems.
Maybe I should buy a PAL booster?
Thanks.
EDIT: Sorry about the bad quality, but I think you should be able to notice the problems.