Technical and Repair Assistance

Started by b3b0palula, September 10, 2006, 01:08:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

xyzzy32

Like 133MHz said, if the A/V modification was done such that it taps the audio before the game cart's music is mixed in, the enhanced sound won't play.
I have this problem on my fami and am forced to use the lower-quality RF output for this game and disk games.

edit:
No, nothing would be bootleg... you probably have a genuine famicom that has been specially modified.

battra92

Quote from: 133MHz on January 23, 2008, 09:21:54 pm
Apparently you still have a short or the regulator is not getting power.

I took another look at it last night and I'm still not sure but I may ask a friend of mine. Are there any schematics available for the power circuits in the Famicom?

satoshi_matrix

Guys, I still can't get my FDS to work. I tried adjusting the speed to get Metroid to work, but in doing so I seem to have make it so that done of my disks will work. I've tried to adjust it constantly, but it seems that I shot myself in the foot trying to repair it. my first question is where is the ideal spot to have the screw turned in order for the disks to work? does it differ per system? Is there something else I can do becides adjust the motor? I've fully taken the drive apart to examine the belt, but its 100% fine. not melted, nothing wrong. It's very frustrating.

bedgley

Is this a belt issue or a motor speed readjustment issue?

Any info is helpful, thank you!

2A03

Check the drive and see if it requires a new belt first.

battra92

So I got in my Famicom Disk System today and while the auction said it was working, it crashes and freezes up on the sign as it comes down. It did make it once but then gave me a battery error (I had knocked out the power adapter by mistake.) Can't even get it to do that. I've cleaned the contacts thoroughly and still nothing.

I'm trying to use a Generation NEX which I feel is most likely my problem.

madman

I'd bet it is because you're not using original hardware.

battra92

Well the RAM adaptor seems to wobble around. I see vids up on YouTube so I know it can be done.

a.l.e.x00

I bought a Famicom, and Famicom Disk System on eBay. The Famicom Disk System, connected to my Famicom, powered on for about 5 seconds, but then it shut off. I thought my Famicom Disk System was broken, so I got the seller, from eBay, to ship me a new one. The new one didn't work either. Later on, I found out that both Famicom Disk Systems work perfectly, and that it was actually the Famicom, itself, that is broken. I will sell the extra Famicom Disk System, and buy a working Famicom. Now, my Famicom is in mint condition, and I want it to stay that way. Is it possible to take the guts of a working Famicom, and put it inside the shell of another? Is it hard? The shell of my broken Famicom is in pristine shape. Would I damage the working one, by switching its guts to the mint shell? I don't think I will find another Famicom, in as good shape, as the one I have. If I do, then I wont switch the guts. If I don't, then maybe I will, but I want to know if this is easy, or not. Please let me know. Thanks.

UglyJoe

Switching the guts is easy.  All you need is a screwdriver.

The only caveat would be if either Famicom has an AV mod.  These usually include creating extra holes in the back/side of the Famicom, so the swap wouldn't work if one has extra holes drilled in the case and the other doesn't.

a.l.e.x00

My Famicom has never been modified, and I don't plan on buying a working, modified one either. I don't like to modify my consoles, because it ruins their factory status. Does that make sense? I am an extreme perfectionist. I have all the consoles that exist, and all are mint. I don't even like to open my consoles, because the screw driver might scratch the screws, and dust, dirt, hair, and finger prints, may get inside. Even crooked labels bother me. It's almost impossible to find a TurboGrafx-16, without a crooked serial number. I like things to be perfect, but perfection is never possible. Anyways, I will open my Famicom, seeing I have no choice, and I don't think I will ever come across another one, that looks as nice. I have another, small question: Were the Famicom systems assembled by hand, in the factory, or by machine?

knekten

I did the AV mod to my famicom, but there is something wrong with the picture. It's all grainy and noisy. The sound works just fine. What could be wrong? Please help!

133MHz

Hi knekten, welcome to the forums! ;D There's an intro thread on the Off-Topic Chat board so you can tell us more about yourself ;).

As for your problem, more details (i.e. pictures) are needed on how you did your mod. Did you use any equivalent replacements? etc.

knekten

Hi and thanks for the welcome   :D

I didn't use any replacements:

For the video circuit I used:
1 47µf electrolytic capacitor
2 22kΩ Resistors
1 2N3704 Transistor NPN TO92

I was thinking that it was a faulty transistor, but i changed it today, and it didn't help. And I get some picture, so I should have built the circuit right? This is confusing.

If this doesn't help I'll take some pictures tomorrow :)

NintendoKing

Quote from: b3b0palula on September 10, 2006, 01:08:43 am
Hi peeps, I recently aquired an old 1st version Famicom and im having lots of fun with it.
The only problem:
Some idiot had removed the SELECT button on the 1P controller. That means i cant select 2P options on many of the games.
Apparently it seems like no matter how much jabbing underneath with pointed objects wouldnt get the select function to work.
We all know that the controllers are handwired, so does anyone knows if the 1P controller can be replaced easily? Anywhere that sells replacement famicom controllers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

I use parts from the inside of NES controllers for spare parts for my famicom controllers as all the inner components are exactly the same.