Technical and Repair Assistance

Started by b3b0palula, September 10, 2006, 01:08:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kite200

oh ya, sorry madman, i forgot. but, I still think this mod is a mess and jc should  just get a solder braid and get rid of it.
ステキ

JC

You're asking me to get technical? :o :D

kite200

haha, a solder braid (aka remover) isnt that technical. All im saying is whomever did this mod didnt realize there's a much simpler way to do things
ステキ

JC

Here's some more pics. I kinda of have an idea about what's going on, but any help solving the problem would be great. I'm looking into this splitter idea.

madman

What's it say on top of the chip on the mod board?

JC

JC

So, I finally tried hooking up the Famicom to AV on my TV. And it works! Well, kind of. If I hook it up to V, there's an image -- clear and pretty -- and no sound. If I hook it up to A, there's no image and no sound. Another weird thing is that the Famicom doesn't work on any of the 90s channels or channel 1-4, but works on AUX. Any recs on how to get the A working?

madman

Well, the only possible thing is that as I mentioned earlier, the audio is now being fed into the old RF out jack.  You've clearly got composite video coming out that new cable, I'd try running an RCA cable from the RF out jack into your audio input.  That's the only thing that seems to make sense, and based on that wire going to that jack, there's a good chance you'll get audio out of there. 

The LM386 chip on that board is a super common audio op-amp.  Pin 5 is the output, you can see if the wire is hooked to that pin through PCB traces, it's hard to tell from your pic. Do you have a camera that was made in the last 10 years and can take bigger pics? :)

JC

The forum automatically resizes the pics. There's nothing I can do there. And my photographs suffer from improper lighting. But I can retake and link you to my photobucket account in a few. Let me see what I can do with the RF...

JC

Nevermind the pics. You were right. The A comes from the RF. I hooked it up and wham bam there was sound. So, the extra cord and connector that was modded onto the Famicom is V and the RF is A. Interesting mod...it's cool to have a functioning AV Famicom. :)

madman

Cool!  I never saw that mod before, but it's pretty neat.

JC

If you care for any high quality *large* pics of the mod so you can see in more detail what's going on, just let me know and I'll take some time to take some nice pics. It'd be nice to document it for the site since it just might be a unique mod.

vega

JC

I played around with the AV modded Famicom a bit more and noticed that the color is off a bit, like it's faded. Is this typical of AV mods? Any solutions?

madman

It could be that where they tapped the signal it was a little weak.  Probably no solution than to tap into the video signal closer to the source.