Technical and Repair Assistance

Started by b3b0palula, September 10, 2006, 01:08:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

madman

After putting in a new belt, make sure you do the alignment pictured here: http://www.jfgoods.net/images/twin/44.JPG

This will solve 99% of disk reading problems.  Anything after that will be adjusting the disk speed, if you do this, do it by using very minimal turns of the screw.  The slightest turn has a large effect on the drive's ability to properly read disks.

133MHz

battra92

January 22, 2008, 04:30:11 pm #302 Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 05:03:36 pm by battra92
Quote from: 133MHz on January 22, 2008, 10:06:37 am
Open it up and check the output of the 7805 voltage regulator. It should be a stable 5V on the rightmost pin, middle one is ground and leftmost is the unregulated input from the AC adapter. Tell us how that goes :).

Well no voltage from pin 1 -2 or pin 2 - 3 for that matter. I'm actually getting around 11.4V on the adapter (despite its claim of 9V) and I can trace it actually getting voltage on the board so it's not a blown solder connection that I can tell.

Oh and BTW, welcome! ;D There's an Introduce Yourself thread on the off-topic chat board, check it out ;).

Thanks

One last thing, in doing a logic test on the 7805 Pins 1, 3 and 5 all appear to be shorts? Think I should just go ahead and replace it?

madman

AC adapters will vary greatly in their DC output, which isn't a problem.  That's why devices have voltage regulators on them.  The output on a 7805 should be pin 3 with about +5v.  Sounds like yours is shot, pretty common problem.

battra92

Quote from: madman on January 22, 2008, 05:20:30 pm
AC adapters will vary greatly in their DC output, which isn't a problem.  That's why devices have voltage regulators on them.  The output on a 7805 should be pin 3 with about +5v.  Sounds like yours is shot, pretty common problem.

Thanks. I'll pick one up at Ripoff Shack tomorrow and see where things go from there.

battra92

Quote from: battra92 on January 22, 2008, 05:30:30 pm
Quote from: madman on January 22, 2008, 05:20:30 pm

Thanks. I'll pick one up at Ripoff Shack tomorrow and see where things go from there.

OKay, so I took the old one out and resoldered the new one and now I get .5V on the source and 0 on the output pin

133MHz

Sounds like no power is reaching the regulator or the line is shorted along the way. Check the adapter plug in the console, power switch, things like that. Also test continuity between positive and negative.

battra92

Quote from: 133MHz on January 23, 2008, 03:27:02 pm
Sounds like no power is reaching the regulator or the line is shorted along the way. Check the adapter plug in the console, power switch, things like that. Also test continuity between positive and negative.

Adapter plug is fine on the solder points directly underneath it. Switch appears to be fine as well. The old Regulator was a total short so it shouldn't have gone further than that.  but with that darn shielding in place it's hard to see much. Test which continuity did you mean?

133MHz

Apparently you still have a short or the regulator is not getting power.

battra92

Quote from: 133MHz on January 23, 2008, 09:21:54 pm
Apparently you still have a short or the regulator is not getting power.

It looks like it. I ended up packing it up after looking at it for an hour last night. Some component appears to be shorted but darned if I can find it. Oh well, for parts, a box and manual I guess $20 isn't too bad.  :(

Nintega

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1bsjXv0xXQ

I don't know what is bootleg. The game or the system?  Are those modded A/V original Famicoms like the one I have usually bootlegs something?  This is annoying to hell out of me.  Angry

133MHz

If the Fami still has an RF modulator, try using it instead of the A/V mod.

MaxXimus

I have that same TV in my room. Just kidding. :P

kite200

please show a clear pic of the front of the console because the cart is legit
ステキ

FamicomFreak

hmm I kinda like that odd music....  ;D
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com