Technical and Repair Assistance

Started by b3b0palula, September 10, 2006, 01:08:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kite200

You see, I bought the FDS. The belt is intact. I tried my games. The only one I got to work was doki doki panic. I also have metroid, kid icarus, and nazo no murasamejou. Ive been messing the the start position of the gears and got metroid and nazo to load but not the others. Im gonna get a better wrench and see if not being able to tighten it is my problem, because it seems to be slipping. I also want to know if ajusting the motor speed or head position can help with getting them to load. The head seems risky so right now im looking at motor speed but I dont know how to ajust that
ステキ

kite200

ステキ

kite200

also, how do I mess with the head screw to ajust it properly
ステキ

Doc

kite200

ステキ

chimyfolkbutter

Before you do anything, I would suggest that you align the spindle correctly to the head,  JFgoods has outlined the belt change and adjustment at http://jfgoods.net/disksystem.html.  The steps are not numbered in his article.  However,  the procedure starts at this slide:

"Here comes the most important part.

First, slide the head so you will get a view like shown on the left
."

Once you have that spindle adjusted then start adjusting the motor speed.

If you have a famicom copier, you can use a utlitiy like CopyMaster to find the speed of your drive.  If you don't have the famicom copier/copymaster setup, you have to manually adjust the speed (in small increments). 

As I mentioned before, the motor has a +/- sign etched into the motor.  You can use a slotted screw drive to make the adjustment.  Use the screw driver to turn motor adjustment screw clockwise or counter clockwise.  The direction corresponds to the speed. You have to do trial and error in terms of adjusting the motor speed. 

What this means is that you have to adjust the speed, then load a game. Keep trying this till the game loads correctly.  If the game loads then try another game.  Once you are satisfied this works for all games, then you have the proper speed.

Usually in Hong Kong, technicians adjust the speed to 5 for optimum speed.  But the important thing here is for the game to load.

Only adjust the head as a last resort.

-CFB

kite200

the motor ajustment screw is where? the rubber thing?
ステキ

kite200

come on cfb elighten me as to where this screw is  ???
ステキ

kite200

ok let me be more specific. I know where the +/- sign is. I know theres a hole with a rubber thingy. but what the hell do I do with this information to move the drive speed
ステキ

chimyfolkbutter

Stick a small slotted screw driver into the hole with the rubber cover.  Gently turn the screw driver till it catches on the motor adjustment screw.  Once you turn it, you are adjusting the motors' speed.  Technically, you are adjusting the motor's potentiometer.

The +/- sign means this.  + = increase motor speed (which is clockwise or counter clockwise turn of the screw.).  - = decrease motor speed (which is clockwise or counter clockwise turn of the screw.)  I forgot which direction is which.  Just check the motor.

-CFB

madman

Do the alignment that chimy posted, I wouldn't start messing with the head at all.  As mentioned previously, use very small turns when adjusting the motor speed.  It sounds more like an alignment problem, though.

kite200

I got the thing to work after messing with the alignment and speed. kid icarus is broken tho ill have to ask toysonlinehk for a refund. everything else is great tho. trust me i know its not  the fds i tried everything that game just wont load
ステキ

madman

Was it sealed and new?  There's a good chance the disk has demagnetized over time. 

kite200

no it wasnt sealed and new. it has a scratch on the disk plate tho so that might be it
ステキ

madman

Ah, that seems odd, as he's a good seller and I imagine he would've tested it.  Best of luck to you, if he can't do anything for you, I'd be willing to re-write that disk for you at home here if you pay for shipping both ways.