Technical and Repair Assistance

Started by b3b0palula, September 10, 2006, 01:08:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ericj

Could be your drive or disk. Try cleaning the magnetic read head with isopropyl alcohol & see if that helps. Otherwise, your disk could be slightly damaged, dirty, or starting to demagnetize.

xyzzy32

The read head was the culprit. Thanks very much! Everything's back in working order... at least, it will be until the belt fails in a year or two...

133MHz

Yup, a small signal NPN transistor.

MS-DOS4

Hey guys. Can any one of you recommend me a good website to buy parts at? My local radioshack does not carry the type of capacitor I need and I thought I'd try a site some of you might use.
>>>Current Collection<<< Updated 8/20/2014

-Click here for Photobucket Collection-

ericj

I usually use Jameco.com for parts. Radio Shack probably has one that will work. Any capacitor with the correct uF rating should be okay; the voltage isn't too important provided it's not too low. What part do you need to buy?

MS-DOS4

Since my real famicom is yellowed, dirty, cracked, and broken, I'm attempting to fix up my famiclone instead. It's got a bad picture and a loud hum in the audio. I figure first I can try switching out the caps.

I'll need to order these parts:

A 16V 1000uF
B 16V 47uF
C 25V 22uF
D 50V 1uF
E 100V 0,47uF

ericj

Radio Shack should have those, but they probably won't help out the audio hum. If you still want to try, I'd start with the large 1000uF cap. You can get a 35V one from RS. You should also check the soldering on the audio out for the RCA cable and the audio pin on the cart connector.

MS-DOS4

If those last two things don't fix the hum, what else could possibly fix it? The hum is the biggest issue.

Perhaps I should just save up for a real famicom instead?

The Blueberry Hill

Hi-o. I've recently received a Twin Famicom, but I think the adaptor's wrong--at least it doesn't seem to be the same as others I've read about in the forums. Here's a photo:

That 9V is too high, right?

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a replacement; and ideally one that I could stick straight into my Australian (220-240 volts, AC 50Hz (?)) wall.

133MHz

That adapter seems to be perfectly fine. It's got the correct polarity for a Twin Famicom (which is the opposite of the original Famicom) and it also works anywhere in the world, accepting an input voltage anywhere from 100 to 240V AC, you just need the right prong adapter to stick it in the wall outlet.

The original Twin Famicom adapter's nameplate rating is 7.5 V DC output, but the extra 1.5 V from your universal adapter will do no harm, since the Twin contains an internal voltage regulator that takes anything from 7 to 24 volts DC and produces a clean, steady 5 volts DC to run the gaming computer.

In other words, don't worry. Just plug it in and enjoy your Twin Famicom. ;)

The Blueberry Hill

August 15, 2010, 11:00:14 pm #1255 Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:54:50 pm by The Blueberry Hill
Thankyou! Now I just have to go out and buy myself a TV, and find my voltage converter thing! I will finally play Otocky!

Post Merge: August 16, 2010, 11:41:24 pm

Sorry, one more power adaptor question (well, there may be another, depending on this one's answer):

The one I have (in the picture above) says the input is AC100-240V; 50/60Hz. Does that mean I don't need a voltage converter? I could just use an adaptor to make it fit my wall socket?

The Blueberry Hill

Thankyou. It's working great. So exciting!

nobiman

Quote from: 133MHz on August 15, 2010, 10:54:10 pm
That adapter seems to be perfectly fine. It's got the correct polarity for a Twin Famicom (which is the opposite of the original Famicom) and it also works anywhere in the world, accepting an input voltage anywhere from 100 to 240V AC, you just need the right prong adapter to stick it in the wall outlet.

The original Twin Famicom adapter's nameplate rating is 7.5 V DC output, but the extra 1.5 V from your universal adapter will do no harm, since the Twin contains an internal voltage regulator that takes anything from 7 to 24 volts DC and produces a clean, steady 5 volts DC to run the gaming computer.

In other words, don't worry. Just plug it in and enjoy your Twin Famicom. ;)

133MHz, is it OK if I used adapter 9 V, 650 mA for Twin Famicom?

Any tips for repairing non responsive Famicom pad?

Thx before...   ;D

ericj

650mA (Twin's original is 1.25A) seems a tad low, but make sure it's DC output & center positive.

nobiman

Quote from: ericj on August 24, 2010, 09:53:02 am
650mA (Twin's original is 1.25A) seems a tad low, but make sure it's DC output & center positive.

Yes, it is center positive, DC Output. Thx ericj  ;)