Technical and Repair Assistance

Started by b3b0palula, September 10, 2006, 01:08:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

I think it's better to say: It doesn't load on a working Disk System. :)

Lupin the Third

Well our current Disk Systems all had melted belts. We got one drive able to play some of our disks (see user chiaotzu's posts for the backstory), but Zelda 1+2 give 20-range errors.

I just wondered which error codes were most indicative of lost data. Although with Dracula 1+2 and SMB2j working just fine, we are thinking we may just have some dead Zeldas.

madman

Usually 21, 22, 27 are belt/drive related.  If a game loads initially and then craps out when it loads more data, or switches to side B, then it's probably your disks.  I'll buy your dead disks if you want to sell :)

chiaotzu

I don't really want to sell a couple games I just purchased. I'll first see if they work on my other two disk systems that are still in the middle of repair. If not then I will see about getting a refund through eBay, or getting them rewritten by a kind patron. If I were going to sell them I wouldn't like to sell them for any less then I paid especially if I can get a refund. And yes Zelda 1 does get the errors when I change sides but Zelda 2 doesn't load at all.
Your not cleared for that.

madman

chiaotzu

It might be but I doubt it. If I can get the other two disk systems to behave just the same as this one it says to me that the games are the issue not the drives. But I will know for certain tomorrow when I actually have some time to sit down and play with them and troubleshoot this issue fully.
Your not cleared for that.

Kayin

Hello

I have changed the belt of my Disk System.  With starting up a disk, I have a black screen and a message "Disk trouble error 22" juste one. And now only error 27.

Thank you for your answer :)

kite200

need to ajust motor speed. find the motor on the drive, and insert a small flathead screw driver into the rubber hole. move it a lil bit and then test. keep doing this until it works. that is all
ステキ

satoshi_matrix

My copy of Metroid gives me disk error  23. It is the only game I have for the FDS that gives me any sort of problem. Is there anything I can do?

madman

Changing the belt often mucks up the calibration on the drive as well. I've had this happen on the first few drives I re-belted, but figured out the problem.

Disk error 23 is probably a bum disk.  21/22/27 all make sense for bad belt/calibration issues.  23 wouldn't.

satoshi_matrix

there isn't anything wrong with the belt in my FDS because when I boguht it I bought it brand new. Paid an arm and a leg for it too.

Lupin the Third

I just thought you guys might like to know that chiaotzu got all 3 of his disk systems functional...kind of.

Two of them play Dracula 1+2 and SMB2j just fine, but will not load Zelda 1 or 2 properly (I believe Zelda 1 Side A loads but won't load Side B)

One of them plays SMB2j, Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 perfectly...but neither of the Draculas.

Maybe some more head tweaking or even potentiometer adjustment?

(*Edit for typo.)

kite200

i wouldnt have bothered with the head. its all in the potentiometer.
ステキ

madman

Quote from: kite200 on May 04, 2007, 11:08:05 am
i wouldnt have bothered with the head. its all in the potentiometer.

I'd strongly disagree with that, as would most people who've fixed a number of FDS drives.

http://www.jfgoods.net/disksystem.html
Do the part where he says "Here comes the most important part."