March 29, 2024, 12:37:52 am

Excited about Wii U?

Started by FamicomRetroGamer, June 07, 2012, 03:40:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

That Guy from Faxanadu

The games shown so far haven´t exactly impressed me. So far, Wii U feels like a console for Nintendo loyalists. And... I am one of them  :-[

From a technical standpoint I find the machine kind of embarassing. It seems like Nintendo are going to sell me 6 years old graphics chips again. And the name is ridicolus.

Lego City Undercover seems surprisingly appealing. Could be a very fun tounge in cheek adventure. The new "New" Super Mario Bros seems kind of lazy at first glance. Same old, higher resolusion. Even music seems to be recycled. I fail to see why littering the map with "twitter" messages would make it a fresh experience.

No doubt there WILL be killer apps in the future (Retro Studios still haven´t revealed their project) but the launch lineup isn´t very strong. Rayman Legends will be awesome though  ;D

L___E___T

Price tag concerns me a great deal.  I'll skip this and save for the next Sony / Microsoft offering.  Will buy a new 3DS when it comes out though, especially if they do a VirtualBoy edition :D
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

That Guy from Faxanadu

June 11, 2012, 01:22:21 pm #17 Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:48:31 pm by That Guy from Faxanadu
Quote from: L___E___T on June 10, 2012, 04:48:38 pm
Price tag concerns me a great deal.

Well, Nintendo´s official price tag has yet to be set. So we´ll just have to wait and see. 3DS is a fun machine though, so good luck with that!

EDIT: Oops, I incidently wrote "has been set" which is completely wrong  :-[

ericj

Price is a bit much for me to be an early adopter.

FamicomRetroGamer

Quote from: That Guy from Faxanadu on June 10, 2012, 12:51:18 pm
So far, Wii U feels like a console for Nintendo loyalists.

Not really. Wii U is aimed towards at all hardcore gamers from Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony, note that Nintendo has upgraded their hardware to keep up with X360 and PS3, and the games too, more variety too now on a Nintendo console.

Though, I sure hope the Wii U game covers aren't like this on pre-order for AC3 Wii U.

http://www.shopto.net/WII%20U/VIDEO%20GAMES/WIIUAS01-Assassins%20Creed%203.html

Something more like the GameCube or Xbox 360 design cover with the Wii U logo at the top and whatnot looks better than this.

L___E___T

Upgrading to keep up with consoles that are already out of date isn't really aimed at everyone though is it to be fair...
So, I would definitely say it's aimed at loyalist so far.  3rd party games are already out on existing, cheaper consoles.

Don't worry, that's just placeholder boxart they give out to everyone so that they'll get the pre-order pages up for those games.  
If you look carefully, you'll see it's pretty botched anyway, they're just doing the best with what they've got.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

MasterDisk

I don't see the point to have something too much powerful. Ok games like Uncharted looks good. But you are just following a path, there's many many cutscenes and you can finish it very quickly (= no replay value, not enough gameplay). Which is very bad for a game (and I guess the last of us will have the same problem)... And it is going to be the same with next Sony system I guess, all money on power and nothing on improvement.

L___E___T

Yeah I know what you mean, but if you're always a generation behind it means that the best 3rd party developers do exactly that - leave you behind.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

MasterDisk

Well we're not that behind now. WiiU is more powerful than PS3 (it seems from the games, and these are launch games so it'll be much better in the future). So I guess it'll be ok this generation. Trying to do stuff too much powerful is killing video game business. As cost of developement explode completly, only very big studios will be able to develop on the next system (if the PS4/720 are very powerful)

That Guy from Faxanadu

Quote from: L___E___T on June 12, 2012, 10:13:24 am
Yeah I know what you mean, but if you're always a generation behind it means that the best 3rd party developers do exactly that - leave you behind.

That´s just what I worry about. And while the graphics will be okay for "this" generation, a new generation is likely to take within 2 years from now (nothing confirmed of course, but Sony & Microsoft are likely to confirm new hardware next year).

Quote from: MasterDisk on June 12, 2012, 10:39:08 am
As cost of developement explode completly, only very big studios will be able to develop on the next system (if the PS4/720 are very powerful)

The therory that only bigger studios will be able to afford development may be true to some extent, but the same was said about PS3 and Xbox 360 versus Wii. In the end most major third party developers moved over to Sony and Microsoft, likely because their games didn´t sell nearly as good as Nintendos own games for the Wii.

FamicomRetroGamer

Quote from: MasterDisk on June 12, 2012, 10:11:20 amUncharted looks good

To be fair, Uncharted looks good or very good, I wouldn't say excellent or brilliant like the Sony fanboys would, plus the aiming was too God damn slow for me!

nintendodork

Quote from: L___E___T on June 10, 2012, 04:48:38 pmWill buy a new 3DS when it comes out though, especially if they do a VirtualBoy edition :D
They have a black/red one already!
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

L___E___T

Quote from: nintendodork on June 12, 2012, 10:16:51 pm
Quote from: L___E___T on June 10, 2012, 04:48:38 pmWill buy a new 3DS when it comes out though, especially if they do a VirtualBoy edition :D
They have a black/red one already!

It's not the same :)

Post Merge: June 13, 2012, 05:14:23 am

Quote from: That Guy from Faxanadu on June 12, 2012, 12:44:09 pm
Quote from: L___E___T on June 12, 2012, 10:13:24 am

That´s just what I worry about. And while the graphics will be okay for "this" generation, a new generation is likely to take within 2 years from now (nothing confirmed of course, but Sony & Microsoft are likely to confirm new hardware next year).

Quote from: MasterDisk on June 12, 2012, 10:39:08 am
As cost of developement explode completly, only very big studios will be able to develop on the next system (if the PS4/720 are very powerful)

The therory that only bigger studios will be able to afford development may be true to some extent, but the same was said about PS3 and Xbox 360 versus Wii. In the end most major third party developers moved over to Sony and Microsoft, likely because their games didn´t sell nearly as good as Nintendos own games for the Wii.

This is already true and has been for quite some time.  This is something I know a lot about and is actually a big part of my job.  It's a difficult scenario.
Games cost a heck of a lot of money to make, even for 3DS and this has fuelled games platforms like the appstore and Android, facebook etc.

To me, the concern is that a new system that's essentially competing with an old system, at a higher price is instantly not competitive.  
I really want a WiiU because I love Nintendo, but I'm really struggling to justify it.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

crade

I wish they wouldn't try to compete against Ps3 and xbox by basically saying they are finally able to run the same games..  It makes them sound pathetic imho.. lol
Nintendo needs to focus more on the retro experience and their virtual console and wiiware stuff... Thats where their strengths are (that and in milking old franchises)
Bragging about how they finally going to put out something that competes with the others old hardware is definately not going to impress me or make me want to buy...
GRRR!

L___E___T

WiiWare isn't in a good place though - XboxLive on the other hand...   Basically one makes money and one doesn't.

I nearly pre-ordered it today through Amazon UK though, just cos it was £200 - but they closed the link and started cancelling pre-orders because of the price guarantee.   :(
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。