March 28, 2024, 10:39:57 am

Excited about Wii U?

Started by FamicomRetroGamer, June 07, 2012, 03:40:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Slayter

I wish I was but I definitely am not. First of all I hate the name of the console so much that it alone turns me away. I don't even like saying it. It sounds like a college where you can learn how to use a wiimote.

The thought of first party Nintendo games in HD isn't even enough to make me want to buy it and I think it's because I am still so happy with the Wii. I could play Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy and Kirby's Epic Yarn over and over again, not to mention all of the games I've yet to get to.

Can't wait for Kirby's Dream Collection  ;D

MasterDisk

As IBM said, the WiiU will have a POWER7 processor. Which is much more powerful than a cell and a xenon. Don't know for graphic card but it'll either be one in the 4800 series or a 6670, both more powerful than the ones in PS360. No reason to be scared about the power of the Wii U  :D

crade

The PS3 is 6 years old now.  Saying you will have better hardware than the PS3 is like bragging about beating an 8 year old at basketball.
GRRR!

ulera

Quote from: jpx72 on June 07, 2012, 03:58:32 am
The name? You cannot even imagine how stupid Wii or Wii U sounds in my language :crazy:
But I'm pretty excited!

In France, they just call it the Yes ::)

crade

I am kinda excited to see it, but I probably won't be getting one for quite a long time until there is already a nice body of games released for it and they have dropped down to reasonable prices..  I'm still sore from my wii purchase.  I will be watching it though!
GRRR!

petik1

Quote from: crade on July 31, 2012, 09:48:57 am
The PS3 is 6 years old now.  Saying you will have better hardware than the PS3 is like bragging about beating an 8 year old at basketball.

But that 8 year old is pretty good.

MasterDisk

I know, but i'm just saying that because some people think it'll be like the Wii (power nearer previous gen than actual) but looks like Wii U will be up-to-date when it'll be released

crade

Quote from: MasterDisk on July 31, 2012, 03:07:30 pm

I know, but i'm just saying that because some people think it'll be like the Wii (power nearer previous gen than actual) but looks like Wii U will be up-to-date when it'll be released

Oh, I see..  I was thinking more that it would be like the wii in that it would be underpowered compared to it's competitors, which should be the the PS4 and Xbox whatever, not the old stuff.

Post Merge: July 31, 2012, 03:20:26 pm

On the other hand, the way things are going, maybe there won't be a ps4 anyway :)
GRRR!

L___E___T

WiiU will be up to date for about a year basically.  Up to date in terms of power but priced higher, because of the controller.  I hope they know what they're doing.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

petik1

Alright, I waited a little too long and I can't find a place to preorder. Gamestop and Walmart aren't taking them, and Target isn't but they said they'll have some units in store on launch day. Truth, or did they not know what they were talking about?

manuel

Just wait a little and you'll be able to buy one.
It probably won't be sold out for very long.

L___E___T

I don't buy the hype, personally.  I don't have enough time to play all I want to anyway, I'm good for now,I certainly don't need a new system until at least a year.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

keropi

personally I am not that exited... unless they bring some quality titles then I'll pass it until it gets cheap... I still have my wii that all those years worked ~20-25hrs max...  ::)

ulera

I think if they don't put a four swords adventure sequel on this they are wasting our time.

Epic_Lotus

I'll buck the trend and say that I'm excited   ;D  I actually went over to Gamestop yesterday and pre-ordered another game, Sonic & All-stars Racing Transformed.  So that, along with Nintendoland and New Super Mario Bros. U makes three launch titles for me.  I also have Lego City: Undercover pre-ordered, although I'm considering changing my pre-order to Wal-mart, as they're offering a free Lego character there.  I'll wait and see a little longer if anywhere else ends up offering a bonus.

I know that Wal-mart had opened up some extra Wii U pre-orders if you do it through their layaway program.  That might be worth checking out.

By the way, when I went to GS yesterday, they had a Wii U kiosk set up, and I gave Rayman Legends a whirl.  A couple of impressions:

- The Wii U Gamepad is much lighter than I was expecting.  I rather expected something as heavy as a Kindle Fire or an iPad, if you're familiar with those, but it's barely heavier than an Xbox or PS3 controller.  I was pretty shocked.

- The graphics look great (at least on Rayman).  It certainly blows away the Wii, and it's at least on par with the current gen.

- Using the touchscreen on the Gamepad is going to take a little getting used to.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's still worth noting.  I had a couple points in the demo where I stopped and wondered what to do next, only to realize 10 seconds later that, "Oh yeah, I have another screen to check!"  Sure enough, the touchscreen was waiting for me to do something.  It's neat, but at the same time, until I get used to moving my eyes around, there going to be some interruption in gameplay flow.  However, the game mechanics employed on the Gamepad's touchscreen were worth the interruption, because it was really cool to do something on there and have its effects instantly reflected on screen.  I didn't notice any latency issues at all.