Will an snes ac adapter work on a model 2 genesis?

Started by ulera, June 25, 2012, 01:43:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ulera

I've heard different thing from different people, can someone give ne something definitive?

Frank_fjs

No, it won't work.

- Plug size is different
- SNES PSU is AC whereas the Mega Drive is expecting DC

ulera

I didn't think the people at the local retro game shop were right about that. Im going to assume they were incorrect rather then just trying to rip me off.

untinip

The PAL SNES PSU is an AC-adapter, but the NTSC SNES PSU is a DC-adapter. The plug is different between NTSC and PAL SNES units as well, but no none will fit a SEGA Megadrive/Genesis 2. I actually did the reverse of what you're trying to do; I cut of the cable off of my busted SNES PSU to make an adapter so I could power my NTSC SNES using a power supply with a more standard 5.5/2.1mm plug. Please note though that the SNES (and the Super Famicom, and the Famicom, etc.) expects the center pin to be negative, which is the opposite of what most PSU gives.

GohanX

Yeah, the Genesis Model 2 plug is it's own thing. It's compatible with other Sega products of the day, such as the Nomad, US Game Gear and 32x, but nothing else.

Frank_fjs

A Mega Drive 1 or equivalent PSU will run a whole heap of different consoles though, it's a great one to have in your stash.

E.g.

SG-1000
SG-1000 II
SC-3000
Mark III
Master System 1
Master System 2
Mega Drive 1
Game Gear (JAP/UK/EUR)
Mega CD 1
Mega CD 2
PC Engine, Core Grafx, Core Grafx II, Shuttle
Famicom
Famicom Disk System
Super Famicom
AV Famicom
Virtual Boy
Neo Geo AES (only some models)

Lum

For that Virtual Boy needs a Japanese adapter. The US one takes a US SNES PSU.
*bzzzt*

Frank_fjs

I didn't know that, thanks. I'm not really familiar with US hardware as I don't collect it (mainly go for local PAL or Japanese gear), what's the specs of the US SNES PSU?

Lum

Exact identical to Super Famicom. Korea also got the US plug.
*bzzzt*

GohanX

Yeah the US SNES just uses a weird plug into the system, so it's difficult to find a non-Nintendo AC adapter.

Many modders will swap the jacks with a MD sized jack. I've been meaning to do that myself, as I have one working SNES psu for 3 systems.

2A03

Quote from: GohanX on June 25, 2012, 05:58:04 am
Yeah, the Genesis Model 2 plug is it's own thing. It's compatible with other Sega products of the day, such as the Nomad, US Game Gear and 32x, but nothing else.

The PC Engine Duo-R/RX, PSOne and thin PS2 use the exact same plug as well. It's not a good idea to use a Genesis 2 PSU on any of the consoles I just listed, but a PS2 or PSOne PSU will work just fine.