Running AV Famicom and Super Famicom in Australia

Started by theamity9, June 25, 2012, 03:18:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

theamity9

June 25, 2012, 03:18:23 am Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 04:13:28 am by theamity9
Hi everyone. First of all this is my first post here, so if it's in the wrong section I apologize.

With that being said, I recently purchased my first 2 Famicom systems. The AV Famicom and Super Famicom. I am wandering about what I need to run these in Australia. I bought 2 of these so they would physically fit the AC:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251000018750?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

However I'm wondering about voltage. I've tried searching both this forum and Google but no luck finding my specific question. So can anybody give me a straight, safe answer that won't leave my Famicom burnt out?

Thank you for reading. :)

EDIT:
I would also like to mention that both come with their official power cords. I also have a PAL NES and SNES ones.

NintendoKing

Australia uses to high voltage by over 100 extra volts and 10hz lower then Japan
Australia = 220-240v/50hz
Japan = 100v/60hz

You need a Step down converter, or you will explode the systems.

theamity9

Thank you. :)

However I'm a complete idiot with this whole country standards stuff and converting. Would it be too much if you could link me to an ebay page with the convertor I need? I tried to search "step down convertor" but got a bunch of items that don't make a whole lot of sense to me.

untinip

I assume you bought the adapters from eBay so you'd be able to use the original (Super) Famicom DC-adapters, right? I'm afraid that would fry them, as the (Super) Famicom DC-adapter is made for 100V and power outlets in Australia (and in Europe) give 230V. You have two options:

• Buy a step down transformer to "change" the voltage of your power outlet.

• Use a DC-adapter that accept 230V and mod them if necessary with a suitable plug.

I went with the second option for my Famicom (and all my other "non-native" consoles for that matter). Please bear in mind though that the (Super) Famicom expects the center pole to be negative whilst most DC-adapters supply the opposite.

theamity9

Yes, I believe they are both the originals. Both ads had no mention of them being unofficial adapters.

Now what has got me is confused is that The Uninvited Gremlin has said to get a convertor, while you've advised a transformer. What exactly is the difference and what is recommended for the Fami/Super Fami?

manuel

Converter or transformer are just 2 words with the same meaning.

You'll need something like this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/240v-110v-Step-Down-Stepdown-Transformer-Converter-200w-/261051928726?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item3cc7e85096

Although this transforms down to 110V. This should be okay, but I guess it would be better if you found one for 100V.

NintendoKing

Manuels suggestion would be quite adequate, just make sure you set the options on it accurately or you still kill the systems; because it does both conversions 110-240 and 240-110.

untinip

Oh, The Uninvited Gremlin was apparently faster than me to answer your question. But yes, as manuel says, a converter = transformer in this context. It's probably the option with the least amount of work needed to power your (Super) Famicom, but if you know how to solder (or knows someone who knows how to solder) modding an existing power supply with the appropriate specs would probably be cheaper. I've done it, and it works nicely! :D

Post Merge: June 25, 2012, 04:45:53 am

Apparently, I am a slow typer.... :-[

Frank_fjs

Firstly, welcome to a fellow Aussie!

Re your question...

If you want to use the original Japanese power supplies that come with the consoles, you will need to use a stepdown transformer. Grab this one here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200W-STEP-DOWN-TRANSFORMER-STEPDOWN-240V-110V-BLACK-/300522477048?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item45f88915f8

It's cheap and adheres to all Australian safety standards, and is the only one on eBay that is any good. I have one myself and took it apart and can verify that it is well constructed and properly grounded/assembled. Those other ones from ozplaza are junk.

Another option is to use a power supply from an Aussie Mega Drive 1 console, this will work fine for both consoles.

Re your travel adapters, keep them for something else as they're of no use to you here.

untinip

Great suggestion, Frank_fjs! A Mega Drive 1 power supply is the best option, in my opinion. :)

Frank_fjs

Quote from: untinip on June 25, 2012, 04:48:25 am
Great suggestion, Frank_fjs! A Mega Drive 1 power supply is the best option, in my opinion. :)

+ 1 to that. I always use a local equivalent PSU rather than a stepdown. The only time I use my stepdown is for consoles such as the Dreamcast which have an internal PSU.

theamity9

Oh geez overwhelmed with comments. Better get replying...

@manuel
Thank you for the link and help buddy. Much appreciated. :)

@untinjp
I'm not too worried about the cheaper option. I bought both the Fami's in both excellent condition with complete boxes + all inserts. I'd hate to ruin them with my cruddy soldering work. :P So I'm prepared to toss in the extra buck to guarantee it's workability.

@Frank_fjs
You're the man. Thank you for the warm welcoming. I really do intend on staying around this forum, I just didn't pop by to get help. Unfortunately I'm as novice as they come with Famicoms at this time - so until I really get going, receive them both and have them operating I really can't contribute a whole lot. :P Just one quick question, since from what I see that step-down has 2 inputs in it, so that means I can run both the Super and AV Fami on it at once correct (in the front of the unit)? And the other end of the step-down goes to the wall?
And as far as those travel adapters go, they cost me $1 each, so big whoop. :P

Frank_fjs

Ye
Quote from: theamity9 on June 25, 2012, 05:26:31 am
Just one quick question, since from what I see that step-down has 2 inputs in it, so that means I can run both the Super and AV Fami on it at once correct (in the front of the unit)? And the other end of the step-down goes to the wall?

That is correct. The stepdown is 200W which is MORE than enough to run either a Fami or Super Fami, or even both together.

Lum

There's no real point to use a stepdown, adapters, or soldering. Local equivalent power will save space. If not even electric bill as there won't be a converter that itself needs power.

I can confirm original Fami accepts the Genesis 1 voltage and even RF box.
*bzzzt*

untinip

Quote from: Lum on June 25, 2012, 10:53:25 am
There's no real point to use a stepdown, adapters, or soldering. Local equivalent power will save space. If not even electric bill as there won't be a converter that itself needs power.

I can confirm original Fami accepts the Genesis 1 voltage and even RF box.

Yep. That's probably the most efficient solution.