Running AV Famicom and Super Famicom in Australia

Started by theamity9, June 25, 2012, 03:18:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

theamity9

June 25, 2012, 02:52:46 pm #15 Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 03:02:05 pm by theamity9
The only problem I have with that solution is that I don't have one. And buying one off eBay once considering price + shipping is roughly $20 for one .(meaning $40 for both of mine). I would like 2, 1 for each of my Fami's. And the step-down can take 2 at once so it's perfect. Also I'm lazy with my setup, I hate changing cables so I got one massive AV Switch by my retro game setup, and a whole ton of power strip boards. Just the thought of having to change the power adapter from system-to-system discourages me. :P

And once considering shipping, a step down will be $30 so it's "cheaper" to me.

NintendoKing

I even use a Step Down Converter, to take 110v to 100v as I am massively worried about harming my SuFami and AV Famicom.

Frank_fjs

Quote from: The Uninvited Gremlin on June 25, 2012, 04:11:50 pm
I even use a Step Down Converter, to take 110v to 100v as I am massively worried about harming my SuFami and AV Famicom.

Totally not necessary you know.

The power from your wall would jump up/down by 20V anyhow.

NintendoKing

theamity9

I think your 110 => 100 would be redundant since electronics can take a bit of range of voltage than what they state. 

2A03

Quote from: The Uninvited Gremlin on June 25, 2012, 05:30:27 pm
I don't like any possible risk.

I've run Japanese power supplies for years and I've never had one fail due to the different voltage. If you're that worried just use American equivalents instead of buying a stepdown converter. A model 1 Genesis power supply will work nicely with both the Famicom and Super Fami.

theamity9

I might as well keep my question so I don't need to make a new topic for it. Is it safe (and will it work) to have a multi strip power board running off the step down? For now my setup is:

1. Power Outlet (wall)
     2. Step-down
          3.1. Famicom
          3.2. Super Famicom

I want to eventually get a Japanese 64 so I can run the N64DD, and the step down only has 2 outputs. So to avoid buying another step down could I have this sort of setup:

1. Power Outlet (wall)
     2. Step-down
          3. Multi strip power board
                 4.1. Famicom
                 4.2. Super Famicom
                 4.3. JPN N64

Hope that made sense.

133MHz

It is perfectly doable and safe as long as you don't exceed the capacity of your step-down transformer. Nintendo consoles are pretty low power devices so with a 100W rated or higher transformer you should be good to go with plenty of room to spare if you decide to get more consoles. ;)

In fact that's the setup I use on my entertainment center: (Chile 220V~ 50Hz / NTSC-M)

The surge protector on the left goes straight to the wall and runs all the 220V devices (TV, sound system, cable box, etc).
The surge protector on the right goes through a big 220-110 transformer (conveniently hidden behind the cabinet) and it powers my JP/US gaming systems among other 110V-only devices (like my DVD recorder).

I suggest you to get a US power strip to keep it all clearly separated and avoid any possible mistakes, but most likely you won't find one in your local market, so if you buy your step-down transformer online, you should order a US power strip as well.

Terpor

So can you use Pal Megadrive power adaptor on Super Famicom?
That Guy

Lum

Yes that's ok. If you have the Mega CD or Master System adaptors it's fine too.
*bzzzt*

theamity9

@133MHz Thanks buddy, you're a world of help. :)

Lum

step downs belong on consoles with unique or internal power supplies. Whose input ratings can't be met through conventional methods.
Saturn, PC-FX, or FM Towns Marty, I can understand going through this effort.

It's a total waste for something with adaptors as commonly found as n64 and famicom.
*bzzzt*

2A03

Quote from: Lum on June 30, 2012, 05:32:31 am
step downs belong on consoles with unique or internal power supplies. Whose input ratings can't be met through conventional methods.

Most should actually be OK, especially the Saturn which uses the exact same power supply board between the US and Japanese models. I have a friend who has an X68000 XVI and it runs just fine on 110-120V despite it having one of the most unreliable internal power supplies of any console or vintage computer.

security16

I got one of those multi adapter jobs from Jaycar though i'm not sure it's doing the job properly for my famicom. The superfamicom is quite happy to function fully with the power cable from my PAL SNES. Weather or not this is healthy for it is a different matter. The original famicom though tend to die a horrible death using an NES power adapter. 

Frank_fjs

Quote from: security16 on July 02, 2012, 12:25:25 am
The superfamicom is quite happy to function fully with the power cable from my PAL SNES. Weather or not this is healthy for it is a different matter. The original famicom though tend to die a horrible death using an NES power adapter. 

PAL SNES PSU puts out AC whereas the Famicom is expecting a DC input. I'm surprised that the Super Famicom can accept it.